Grow Room Delimma

in Lighting Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:41 pm
by JackRyan420 | 288 Posts | 1272 Points

I recently set up an additional grow closet just for vegging. It's a 32 x 32 x 60 grow tent inside a small bathroom. I vent the tent with clip-on fans, and the bathroom itself is vented into the sky via a common bathroom fan.

I use a 200-watt California Light Works LED (VegMaster) to veg in there. It works very well.

So, the other day I got a bright (dim?) idea how to make it a flowering tent as well. I bought a nice air-cooled hood, 400-watt ballast, and bulb. And I ran temperature tests. The room temp was 71 degrees when I started. And within 30 minutes of operation, the 400-watt HPS bulb raised the temp inside the tent to 95 degrees. I was so bummed.

I'm still trying to figure out how to lower those temps without major mods (stronger fan and more passive intake holes) to the bathroom.

Last edited Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:50 pm | Scroll up

RE: Grow Room Delimma

in Lighting Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:54 pm
by ross | 51 Posts | 190 Points

Clip on fans won't vent the tent. They will only move the air around inside the tent. If the tent isn't properly vented I'm not surprised the temps climbed that high

Herb is the healing of a nation, alcohol is the destruction.” - Robert Nesta Marley
Scroll up

in Lighting Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:04 pm

Quote: ross wrote in post #2
Clip on fans won't vent the tent. They will only move the air around inside the tent. If the tent isn't properly vented I'm not surprised the temps climbed that high

I actually had the clip-on fans mounted in such a way as to be blowing directly out a venting hole. I had 2 of these set up blowing out 2 separate holes, and could tell significant air intake in the bottom holes of the tent. Just not enough, I guess.

Scroll up

in Lighting Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:10 pm

Yea inline fans are crucial

Herb is the healing of a nation, alcohol is the destruction.” - Robert Nesta Marley
Scroll up

in Lighting Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:17 pm
by Monoxide | 649 Posts | 2595 Points

Does the room need to stay hidden? if you werent wanting to put holes in stuff but you were ok with venting inside the house with a charcoal filter? or maybe a close window?

Whoop Whoop! MCL!!
Scroll up

in Lighting Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:20 pm
by surfinc | 1.748 Posts | 6388 Points

can i ask how you vented the lamp?
clip on doesn't do duct and hood IMO
maybe have a small inline do that ??

<></p>
Scroll up

in Lighting Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:21 pm

Quote: Monoxide wrote in post #5
Does the room need to stay hidden? if you werent wanting to put holes in stuff but you were ok with venting inside the house with a charcoal filter? or maybe a close window?

Great question. Unfortunately, the bathroom itself, housing the tent, must be closed and locked. If not for that, I would have more options.

Scroll up

in Lighting Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:28 pm
by The Hemp Goddess | 281 Posts | 1083 Points

Do you have an air cooled hood? IMO, you are really going to need a centrifuge fan for exhaust. I find the clip on fans barely useable even to just move air around. They really are not capable of exhausting a tent, nor are they meant to.

Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History--Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Scroll up

in Lighting Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:17 pm

Quote: The Hemp Goddess wrote in post #8
Do you have an air cooled hood? IMO, you are really going to need a centrifuge fan for exhaust. I find the clip on fans barely useable even to just move air around. They really are not capable of exhausting a tent, nor are they meant to.

Yes, the hood has flanges for air-cooling. I'm just hesitant to turn the bathroom into a full-fledged flower room. I'd have to cut holes, add fans, etc.

But I'm sure I'll eventually do just that.

Scroll up

in Lighting Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:45 pm

Is this bathroom the only place a tent can be?

Scroll up

in Lighting Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:52 pm

Quote: ross wrote in post #10
Is this bathroom the only place a tent can be?

Unfortunately, yes.

Scroll up

in Lighting Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:26 pm
by 4u2sm0ke • Marijuana is good | 2.333 Posts | 10572 Points

Get this extraction fan.
http://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-Active-A...CP8M4J2P8NMAXS2
..run the flex pipe to the Bathroom ceiling fan..maybe run Fart fan 24/7...or hook to your timer ...Best of luck and Happy Growing

Light travels faster then sound....... This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Scroll up

in Lighting Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:41 pm
by surfinc | 1.748 Posts | 6388 Points

or maybe same fan in 4 inch???

<></p>
Scroll up

in Lighting Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:11 pm
by Justa420Friend | 633 Posts | 2284 Points

I'm using two bathroom fans to vent my grow cabinet (80 cfm homedepot) BUT I do not have a HPS light.

Could you rig up a single new bathroom fan inside the tent, intake either at the top or directly out of the hood and then use ducting to link that fan and the existing bathroom fan (fans in series)?

this would pull the hottest of the air out of the tent and not dump it into the room but instead directly out of the house.
Fans in series add pressure not flow but depending on how the ducting is more pressure will help more then flow.

Sneaking a post in from my phone so I can't get into too much more detail. But if this sounds like it may work but isn't clear, I can elaborate more later.

Your Experience is like Water
I am like Rockwool
Scroll up

in Lighting Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:15 pm
by MR1 | 703 Posts | 2417 Points

Stick one of these on each side of the bottom of your door if you don't already have them or can't have a window open. More intake the better

Last edited Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:20 pm | Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 9 Guests are online.

guest counter
Today were 321 (yesterday 415) guests online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 1231 topics and 21953 posts.

0 members have been online today: