SCROG Barneys Farm Tangerine Dream Bubbler first time grow

in Grow Journals Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:08 pm
by Tangerine Dream | 40 Posts | 154 Points

So let me start by saying my background in growing. Its 0 the only thing I have ever grown is a pear tree in my backyard that I've never watered or done anything to apart from plant it so this should be a good grow for people to learn from and also a good place for me to get information on anything im doing wrong. I will be updating it every 3-7 days with pic's/temps and answering any questions people may have.

My girl is now 17 days old and ill be attaching pictures bellow for you to see the life of her for these past 17 days

My grow room is a 165cmx65cmx180cm tent and my flower room is 120x120x200cm tent
My grow light is a T5 4 tube (6500K) and my flower light is a 400w hps
I'm using one 125mm 5" Fans for extraction in each tent (Up to 280m3/hour extract rate) with a 125mm buddy carbon filter on them
I will be using a 10Ltr (so around a 2 gallon) bucket for veg and then as I get ready for flower it will go into a 20Ltr (so around a 5 gallon) bucket
I will be using Sensi grow and for flower the following Sensi bloom, big bud and Honey Hydro instead of bud candy
My scrog will be a design im still working on so that it can be moved from tent to tent with the bubbler so keep your eyes open for that

This is what my seeds looked like

When It came time to germ them I had watched a few youtube vids and I wanted to try the wet tissue and this is what it looked like after 3days of being in my wardrobe

When doing the paper tissue method I didnt open it at all however after 2 days I did add a few drops of water where I could see the lump of the seed then on the 3rd day I opened it to see the long tails.

After this I added them to some rockwool cubes that had been sat in water for around 5mins (the ph was not checked but after checking the water now it would have been around 7.9ph-8.2ph) once placed in the rockwool I covered them with abit from the side like I had seen in youtube videos and then added them to my propagator.

After 7days in the rockwool cubes under the propagator this is what I had (they had been under no lights just sitting in my room)

at this point I knew that I had maybe placed them alittle low in the rockwool cubes but as there was nothing I could do I knew I was time to move them to clay pebbles and add them underthe T5 on a 18-6 light pattern

After this I would add water to the pebbles on a daily basis to make them stay wet. The ph of the water at this point had still not been tested but would have been around 7.9ph-8.2ph

It had now been almost a week and I still didn't have my bubblers ready so I knew I had to pull my finger out and treat my lady's right. as they Had been growing so well for me .

After I took this picture they were placed into there new homes and the next day were doing great
The water was at a ph of 7.3 and the ppm was around 364 I had used around 0.7ml each Ltr of the Sensi Grow 2part

I knew at this point when I did a res change in 7days time i needed to do a check on the ppm before I added the Sensi Grow and to also get my ph much lower as it was still to high.

It then came time for me to change the res and that was today day 17 of her life I got the ph to 6.4 the ppm was 196 without any Sensi Grow and once added the ppm rose to 445 I used 1ml each Ltr and this is what the girls look like today

Humidity is around 37% to 44% and temps stay around 23c with lights on in the day and drop to about 21c at night but the bubblers are heated to never drop bellow 19c

Sorry for such a long first post and if i've mist something let me know and ill try to answer it or if you would like me to add a type of info or do a type of check just ask. I look forward to my next grow update in 3 days time. From today I will aim to veg for the next 5 weeks unless things get wild and they get to big for my scrog then they will move into the flower tent so we will see as time goes by.

My goal is 5oz per plant I think its going to be hard for a first time grow but if i work hard and treat my lady's right they might do it in a scrog.

Thanks for reading

Tangerine Dream

Scroll up

RE: SCROG Barneys Farm Tangerine Dream Bubbler first time grow

in Grow Journals Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:12 pm
by 4u2sm0ke • Marijuana is good | 2.333 Posts | 10572 Points

Mojo for the grow..i sure will be fallowing along ..I like to see people pull off the goal....

Thanks for sharing with us

Take care and be safe

Light travels faster then sound....... This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Last edited Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:12 pm | Scroll up

in Grow Journals Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:22 pm
by The Hemp Goddess | 281 Posts | 1083 Points

I love DWC. Green mojo for your plants

You are going to need to get your pH lower for proper nutrient uptake. Hydro should be maintained between about 5.5 and 6.0 to insure that all nutrients are available tt he plant.

I think that you will find that if your goal is 5 oz per plant that you are going to need a lot longer veg period than 5 weeks. You are almost at 3 weeks now. And when running a scrog, it will take weeks to fill the screen.

Can you tell me how many inches 120 cm is? My metric is so bad (even though I realize how much better it is as a measurement system).

Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History--Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Scroll up

in Grow Journals Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:29 pm
by Justa420Friend | 633 Posts | 2284 Points

4 foot (+/- inch)

Your Experience is like Water
I am like Rockwool
Scroll up

in Grow Journals Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:47 am
by Weedhopper | 1.210 Posts | 4031 Points

Green Mojo. Ill be stoppen in and watchen yur girls.

We are a form of Energy and Energy never dies,,IT JUST CHANGES FORMS. Im gonna be Dirt,,your gonna be POO. LOL
Scroll up

in Grow Journals Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:56 am

Quote: The Hemp Goddess wrote in post #3
I love DWC. Green mojo for your plants

You are going to need to get your pH lower for proper nutrient uptake. Hydro should be maintained between about 5.5 and 6.0 to insure that all nutrients are available tt he plant.

I think that you will find that if your goal is 5 oz per plant that you are going to need a lot longer veg period than 5 weeks. You are almost at 3 weeks now. And when running a scrog, it will take weeks to fill the screen.

Can you tell me how many inches 120 cm is? My metric is so bad (even though I realize how much better it is as a measurement system).

the ph i was going to keep around 6.5 but if 5.5 to 6.0 is better thats what ill go for on my next res change as for being at 3 weeks already i meant that ill be going for 5 weeks from the day of the post so it would be like 8 weeks in total . as some one has said 120cm is just under 4 feet.

thanks to everyone thats stopped by

Last edited Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:58 am | Scroll up

in Grow Journals Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:01 pm
by Drfting07 | 264 Posts | 1092 Points

Ill be watching, Good start

"Never Kick a Fresh Turd on a Hot Day" Harry S. Truman
Feed the Soil, Not the Plant - Umbra
"no smart pots---i got the dumb ones"

TOA-Tons Of Animosity
Scroll up

in Grow Journals Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:29 pm

Somewhere at MP we had a chart that showed nutrient uptake at differing pH levels for both soil and hydro. I will see if I can find a copy. Correct pH is critical with hydro, as is proper ppms. You are pushing your lumens some with a 400W in a 4 x 4 space--we usually recommend a minimum of 5000 lumens per sq ft for flowering. With a 400W you are only going to be getting a little over 3000 lumens. Most people use at least a 600W (or 2 600W) or a 1000W in a space that size.

Not to discourage you, but I think that 5 oz per plant is going to be very difficult to pull off, so don't be disappointed if you fall short, especially since this is your first growing of anything (other than a pear tree). A 5 oz plant is a huge plant. I had a small scrog I did several years ago--about 4 sq ft with 300W HPS and I yielded a total of 5.5 oz with the 2 plants and I was very happy with that. Keep in mind that a larger space does not really translate to more yield. Yield is more a function of your lights and how dialed in your grow space is. With a 400W in a 4 x 4 space, you will get more stretch and probably lighter airier buds.

I would like to encourage you to do some more studying up on DWC. Things like the correct pH is critical--if you had continued to run the pH at the levels you were, your plants would not have lasted much time at all. They would have been starving even though you were feeding them--the nutrients would simply not have been available to them. With hydro, mistakes are felt by the plants faster and harder. You can kill a plant overnight if the ppms are too high, if they run out of water, if the air pump fails, etc. I love hydro and while some may encourage a new grower to start with soil, I say if you want to grow hydro, then do it. You just have to be knowledgeable about the plant's needs and keep on top of things.

Looking forward to following your grow and seeing your scrog set-up.

Scroll up

in Grow Journals Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:56 pm

Thanks "The Help Goddess" for the info i feel alittle cheated now about the 400w hsp as when at the store I was told that a 4x4 space would be fine and I didnt need a stronger light so i wish i had got the 600w light(I should have also looked into it more). I agree i need to know more on DWC and its something im currently watching videos on. The hardest thing I find is the ppm working out how much I need as you check the products website and they tell you 40ml for a 5ltr bucket for the first week of the plants life for example which from what i found when reading peoples logs would be crazy high for the first week of a plant and ive yet to find anything that tell me how much ppm i need for my sensi grow and as a first time grower I think thats where ill be making my biggest mistakes. I did look into other grow mediums like coco/soil etc but i felt that bubblers looked like something I would like to use and I liked the fact that i get to make something so i get to learn a new skill and save abit of cash. I know 5oz is a big dream but I know if i set that as my goal if i fall short I still have something to aim for at the second grow and even if i get like 1oz a plant it will be 100% nicer than anything I get locally as my locally grown stuff is not even flushed or cured and this way im not putting money into the wrong hands.

Thanks again all these comments are great

Tangerine Dream

Scroll up

in Grow Journals Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:20 pm
by Rosebud | 499 Posts | 2113 Points

You are in good hands here Tangerinedream. I started too small with a 400 and quickly added a 600 and never looked back. Greenest of mojo to you.

Scroll up

in Grow Journals Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:05 pm
by MR1 | 703 Posts | 2417 Points

Tangerine Dream, I use 2 - 430watt Son Agro bulbs from veg right through flower with good results.

Scroll up

in Grow Journals Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:20 pm

thanks for the advice MR1 I think instead of buying another 400w and using 2 400w lights im going to get a 600w second hand and save the 400w as a backup or sell it to help cover the cost of my 600w

Scroll up

in Grow Journals Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:23 pm

Unfortunately I have found that a large number of people who work in hydro/grow stores really don't know much about growing--they are just salespeople. Sorry you got bad info.

You are going to have to experiment with your nutes as the starting ppm of your water influences the final tally. I would start with a fraction of what they say to add and then check the ppms. Write this down somewhere. You are going to want to start your plants out with a ppm somewhere around 200-250 when they are 2-3 weeks old. Since most of the time pH tends to drift up, I start my solution at about 5.4 or so. By the end of the week, it is at about 6.0. I change the buckets out every 7-10 days (depending on the age of the plant and what is going on in my life).

I think that you will be a lot happier with a 600W light. If you run across a good deal on a 1000W dimmable, that would be an option too. We all usually find that we need to (okay not NEED to, but want to) expand out spaces or that we want to up our lumens. Running 600W would also make your goal of 5 oz per plant a whole lot easier--more lumens results in more grams, as long as your grow stays dialed in where it should be.

Green Mojo!

Scroll up

in Grow Journals Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:24 am

thanks foe the info "the hemp Goddess" ill be lookinf at 600w at the moment as I might be able to get one for around £25 second hand

this is my update from today.

I went to the shop to purchase some water rings as my other water balls got broke a few days back one snapped at the top and the other had a crack.

After checking the water today I have noticed that the ph has gone to 7.3 and the ppm to 570
The temp is at 22.1 and the humidity is at 47%

Ive also noticed this white powder type stuff on the rocks (the rocks have not been made wet in about 7days)

This is what the girls look like today at day 19 of there life

Im also not happy with the colour of these roots as they started white and now are alittle brownish. Could this be root rot I had a power cut that lasted almost 3 hours?

im also not liking this condensation in the buckets is this normal?

Im thinking of changing the water again today and setting the ph to 5.4 and the ppm at 450 the water from the tap is at around 190 so i would add untill the water reeds 450 any ideas on the issues above?

all feedback is loved

Thanks

Tangerine Dream

Scroll up

in Grow Journals Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:24 pm
by penguin | 3 Posts | 15 Points

Hey TD,
Personally i think a 400w HPS will work for two plants But its not gonna cover that whole tent space. I have a 55 inch square tent and use a 1000w. I would plan on a 2 1/2 x 3 foot screen if your sticking with the 400. Upgrade to a 1000w and six plants for the next grow. with that 24 ounce crops with a scrog are within easy reach once you learn a bit.

Scroll up

in Grow Journals Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:53 pm
by bbr751 | 424 Posts | 1841 Points

ur plant looks just like mine, same color and everything.also my first bubble bucket grow also, i use a 6500k 400 watt MH bulb for veg. love how the plant looks. best of luck to ya!

Its worth a Google
Scroll up

in Grow Journals Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:32 am

thanks for the replys bbr751 did you ever get that white powder stuff on rocks? just didnt want it to be mold or anything. also is it normal to have the condensation in the bucket? im thinking if i maybe add some reflective tape on the lid it might help with the issue.also 24oz would be way to much for me that would take me two years to smoke :p but thanks anyway for the advise its all good info and lets me know my options

Scroll up

in Grow Journals Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:57 am
by bbr751 | 424 Posts | 1841 Points

I have not had any white powder issues yet, and I have condinsation in the inside. It's a moist environment, I think it's just normal.and what is the humidity of the grow area? Mine runs low. Mid 30's, it looks like we are in the same stage of grow ;)

Its worth a Google
Scroll up

in Grow Journals Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:20 am

What do you mean by condensation on the bucket? The entire inside of the bucket should have little water droplets from the bursting of the air bubbles created by the air stones. Your bucket should look like it is boiling.

Do you have the water level in the bucket up to the bottom of the pot? I am a little concerned that the root growth is not what it should be.

Scroll up

in Grow Journals Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:20 pm

thanks for the reply. I do have the water level to the bottom of the pot and by condensation i was just refering to the way it looked that was all (thats why i attached a pic of the size of the bucket) but from the description you have given it sounds ok. ye the roots are a concern for me aswell from grows that ive seen they have triple what i have at this age. im thinking of getting some Hygrozyme or using some food grade 35% Hydrogen Peroxide in the water i think i may have done something to them at birth that may have affected the root development.

Scroll up

in Grow Journals Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:34 pm
by Monoxide | 649 Posts | 2595 Points

remember to, you are growing from seed. once you start from clone your going to have a bigger plant at that many weeks. I am now starting from clones and can tell a big difference in how big they are compared to starting fro seed. Green Mojo!!

Whoop Whoop! MCL!!
Scroll up

in Grow Journals Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:40 pm

hi monoxide thx for dropping by. Ye hopefully be making a few clones in about 5 weeks time. ill be taking my clones when i do my lollipopping.

Scroll up

in Grow Journals Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:50 pm

small update

was going to wait till tomorrow but it appears my Hydrogen Peroxide wont come till monday so i did a res top up and balanced the ph to 5.9 and will look at changing the res on monday when it comes. untill then here is some updated pics and a better root pic.

this is them day 21 from seed temp 22.1c humidity is at 41%

Scroll up

in Grow Journals Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:02 pm
by MR1 | 703 Posts | 2417 Points

Looking better. In the pic with the roots ,is your airstone running?

Scroll up

in Grow Journals Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:12 pm
by toadley stoned | 100 Posts | 540 Points

where did U get those air rings at ??

toadley stoned n lovn it

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 10 Guests are online.

guest counter
Today were 369 (yesterday 406) guests online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 1231 topics and 21953 posts.

0 members have been online today: