My First SCROG - Jack Herer from Sannie's Shop

in Grow Journals Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:18 pm
by JackRyan420 | 288 Posts | 1272 Points

OK, I'm doing a Jack Herer SCROG grow from feminized seeds. I've been growing for 5 years, with mostly good results. But I've never done a SCROG grow, and I've never grown Jack Herer.

My wife and I love the Jack Herer strain because (we're all adults here) it takes sex for us to a higher level that can't be explained in words. It's quite amazing.

I know SCROG grows work best when starting from clones instead of seeds, but I don't have a mother plant. At least not yet.

Seeds: Jack Herer feminized seeds from Sannie's Shop.

Grow Medium: ProMix HP. I added 2 tablespoons of dolomite lime per gallon of ProMix.

Grow containers: 5-gallon Smart Pots.

Nutrients: Dyna-Gro 3-part (Grow, Bloom, Pro-Tect) mixed exactly as the bottles say. I use only tap water, and I don't ever balance PH. All my grows turn out fine this way. But I draw the tap water into 5-gallon buckets 24 hours before use, so as to allow the chlorine to evaporate.

Grow room:

A 3.5 x 3.5 x 8 closet under a California Lightworks 200-watt VegMaster LED. When it's time to flower, I'll use a 600-watt Hortilux HPS bulb in a Luxor vertical-bulb fixture with 8" flanges. I use a Lumatek digital ballast. And a 636 CFM Elicent inline fan to both cool the light and vent the room.

My SCROG screen is 3 x 3, and is 14 inches above the tops of the Smart Pots. I emailed Sannie directly and asked him how high I should place the screen above the tops of the Smart Pots. He said he has SCROG'ed Jack Herer many times, and he suggested a screen height of 12-18" above the tops of the smart pots, since she's a tall-growing sativa. I chose 14".

All 5 of my seeds germinated just fine using the "soaking in water" and then "paper towel" method. I raised them in 18-ounce Dixie cups, and transplanted them into 5-gallon Smart Pots.

Here are pics taken today:

Last edited Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:23 pm | Scroll up

RE: My First SCROG - Jack Herer from Sannie's Shop

in Grow Journals Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:35 pm
by surfinc | 1.748 Posts | 6388 Points

I have been doin a jack cross for last year or so...love to see how you go on this one..
might have to copy you some day

<></p>
Scroll up

in Grow Journals Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:26 pm

Here's a pic taken today. Won't be long until it's 12/12 time.

And here's a pic of a nice Jack Herer plant that couldn't fit in the flowering room SCROG. I plan to clone her.

Scroll up

in Grow Journals Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:21 pm
by Monoxide | 649 Posts | 2595 Points

nice. fatty leafs!!

Whoop Whoop! MCL!!
Scroll up

in Grow Journals Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:05 am
by ozzydiodude • The Weird One | 2.474 Posts | 11542 Points

Nice job scrog filling out nicely

Let's help each other, by spreading our knowledge of the plants we love

Cannabis grown with care grows into medicine somewhere!
Scroll up

in Grow Journals Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:57 am
by jungle | 100 Posts | 352 Points

Hey Jack, 5 gal pots? Do u use them for all your plants or just jack Herer? They advertise they get best results planted in the ground, so I'm thinking your using 5 gallon for that reason? From what I've read Jack Herer does best when they are supposedly a larger longer growing plant before placing into flower. I realize indoor growers don't have the luxuries of the ground and allowing the plant to grow large before flowering? Anyways good luck. I'm going to kind of compare mine with yours if I get a female. Anyone have good results in a 3 gal container? Also there's suppose to be 4 phenols? The less productive Haze leafed strain is suppose to be the best but all are suppose to still be OK. Do you know if you have that phenol? Maybe the Sannis seeds aren't comparable to the sensi seeds I have? My 2 plants don't have long slender sativa shapes they look something the same as yours. Does anyone here who has grown Jack Herer have any pictures of the leaves, the haze one or the others. Kinda wondering what the haze looking one actually might look like. Tk u.

Scroll up

in Grow Journals Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:02 am

Heres a couple pictures of the ones I'm growing. I looked a sannies jack Herer and it looks and sounds great. I also saw where Sannies is showing how to grow Jack as scrog so thats probably why your doing it, I suppose the bigger the pots the better and to start them early because of stretch is a common way to grow jack herer. Here are pictures of my 2 plants. I'm not trying to compete or hijack your thread just trying to go over questions in my head about this strain and how to grow it. I'm thinking about throwing mine into flower while they are small because of space in the flower room.

Scroll up

in Grow Journals Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:36 pm

Quote: jungle wrote in post #6
Hey Jack, 5 gal pots? Do u use them for all your plants or just jack Herer? They advertise they get best results planted in the ground, so I'm thinking your using 5 gallon for that reason? From what I've read Jack Herer does best when they are supposedly a larger longer growing plant before placing into flower. I realize indoor growers don't have the luxuries of the ground and allowing the plant to grow large before flowering? Anyways good luck. I'm going to kind of compare mine with yours if I get a female. Anyone have good results in a 3 gal container? Also there's suppose to be 4 phenols? The less productive Haze leafed strain is suppose to be the best but all are suppose to still be OK. Do you know if you have that phenol? Maybe the Sannis seeds aren't comparable to the sensi seeds I have? My 2 plants don't have long slender sativa shapes they look something the same as yours. Does anyone here who has grown Jack Herer have any pictures of the leaves, the haze one or the others. Kinda wondering what the haze looking one actually might look like. Tk u.

Hi jungle,

I'm an organic grower who is just now trying soilless growing with chemical nutes. And I actually used 7-gallon smart pots in organic growing. I trimmed it down to 5-gallon smart pots for my first soilless grow. Maybe I should have used 3-gallon pots instead.

I'm not sure about the phenotype questions you asked about. Maybe someone more knowledgeable than I can answer those questions.

Keep checking back in this thread. I'll post updates and pics every few days.

Scroll up

in Grow Journals Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:56 am

I think the bigger the pot the better results....for jack herer in soil and the ground would be better.....but I didn;t read close enough to realize you were soil less .........There is a lot of info on the phenols elsewhere on the web which I've been reading about.....if your ever interested.......at least I know the sensi seeds has 4 phenols.? I'll definitely keep watching your grow thanks. I think our leaves are fairly similar....

Scroll up

in Grow Journals Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:54 am
by Monoxide | 649 Posts | 2595 Points

i can't wait to see them budding through the scrog net

Whoop Whoop! MCL!!

Last edited Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:55 am | Scroll up

in Grow Journals Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:44 pm

Quote: Monoxide wrote in post #10
i can't wait to see them budding through the scrog net

Thanks MoNo. The 3 plants now cover almost 3/4 of the 3x3 SCROG net. I'll be switching to 12/12 within a week.

Last edited Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:44 pm | Scroll up

in Grow Journals Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:57 pm
by MR1 | 703 Posts | 2417 Points

Better switch quick.

Scroll up

in Grow Journals Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:21 pm
by Sunakard2000 | 59 Posts | 244 Points

agreed you should flip asap, remember althought with LEDs stretch is greatly reduced there still has to be some margin for stretch, dont let your screen get full before its flipped or youll have no places left open to tuck stretching branches. other then that everythings lookin good.

As always be safe and much green mojo to you my friend!

Current Grow ~ Sunakard Indoor Perpetual Grow multiple strains ~
~Lemon Twist and Lemon OG Kush~

~~~~~~~~~ BHC Member #810 ~~~~~~~~~
Scroll up

in Grow Journals Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:25 pm

Flipping to 12/12 right now...

Scroll up

in Grow Journals Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:20 pm

Here's a pic when I flipped to 12/12 yesterday. I vegged under an LED, but I'm flowering using a Luxor vertical-bulb hood with a Hortilux 600-watt HPS powered by a Lumatek ballast. The pic was taken while they were still under the LED. I switched to the 600-watt HPS right after the pic was taken (those HPS pics are so washed out).

And BTW, here's a pic of 5 nice Larry OG plants (grown from Cali Connection feminized seeds). I'll start a grow journal on them soon.

Last edited Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:21 pm | Scroll up

in Grow Journals Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:36 pm

Here's a pic taken tonight. One week into flowering. The plants are still growing, so I have to reposition them under the screen every couple of days. Growth (stretch) should cease in two more weeks, at which time the buds should present themselves all growing up together at the same height. I can't wait to see it.

I've been growing inside for five years now. But this is my first SCROG. It's been fun so far.

Last edited Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:41 pm | Scroll up

in Grow Journals Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:23 pm

Well, I'm 14 days into flowering. I will make a post every week with pic(s) to show progress. Tonight's pic is below.

I've made some mods to my feeding schedule. I'm still using Dyna Gro, but now I'm using only Grow and Pro-Tect formulas. No Bloom formula. I'm following a feeding recipe and schedule that one of my close associates has tried and raves about. And that is just Pro-Tect + Grow. No Bloom. We'll see how it turns out.

But also, I just couldn't resist adding some Liquid Karma that I had left over from my last organic grow. I have no idea how to tell if it's "working". Maybe I should have left it out since growth has been so good.

Anyway, here is a pic taken tonight (14 days into flowering). It looks like I lucked out on my first SCROG grow and the screen will be full at about the end of the 3rd week of flowering, which is just about perfect. That's when growth/stretching cease, and full bud protection begins.

Wish me luck. I'll probably need it.

Scroll up

in Grow Journals Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:43 pm
by ozzydiodude • The Weird One | 2.474 Posts | 11542 Points

GREEN MOJO

Let's help each other, by spreading our knowledge of the plants we love

Cannabis grown with care grows into medicine somewhere!
Scroll up

in Grow Journals Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:02 pm

Here's a pic after 3 weeks of flowering. Growth stretch has ceased, and bud production has begun in full.

Last edited Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:14 pm | Scroll up

in Grow Journals Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:14 am

looks killer!!! good work ...

<></p>
Scroll up

in Grow Journals Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:57 pm

After week 4 flowering. Lots of bud sites.

This is my first SCROG. I hope I'm doing it right.

Last edited Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:03 pm | Scroll up

in Grow Journals Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:08 am
by 4u2sm0ke • Marijuana is good | 2.333 Posts | 10572 Points

looks like your doing it right...lol....nice and green.

thanks for sharing with us

Light travels faster then sound....... This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Scroll up

in Grow Journals Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:20 pm

Quote: JackRyan420 wrote in post #21
After week 4 flowering. Lots of bud sites.

This is my first SCROG. I hope I'm doing it right.

<></p>
Scroll up

in Grow Journals Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:21 pm

Weekly Update

The pics below were taken a few minutes ago. The plants have been flowering for 5 weeks. About 8 more weeks until harvest.

They are really drinking a lot of water now.

Scroll up

in Grow Journals Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:12 pm

13 week run on jack herer??

<></p>
Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 6 Guests are online.

guest counter
Today were 397 (yesterday 224) guests online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 1231 topics and 21953 posts.

0 members have been online today: