SCROG Question - Trim Under the Screen?

in Advanced Growing Techniques Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:04 pm
by JackRyan420 | 288 Posts | 1272 Points

I'm doing my first SCROG grow. I just flipped to 12/12 with 75% of the screen covered.

Should I trim out the leaves and branches below the SCROG layer? Or should I just let them die from not getting sufficient light?

Thanks.

Scroll up

RE: SCROG Question - Trim Under the Screen?

in Advanced Growing Techniques Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:20 pm
by surfinc | 1.748 Posts | 6388 Points

i would trim rather than let suck energy from the top...but im not a scrog guy so....might not be best...pros to follow up im sure

<></p>
Scroll up

in Advanced Growing Techniques Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:57 pm
by surfinc | 1.748 Posts | 6388 Points

i was peeping around and all i can find for advice is trim out from the shade it will hurt production on the tops that have light..
so..
get to hackin..just kidding but yes sounds like you should clean up under there...cant see that being very easy...
Green mojo

<></p>
Scroll up

in Advanced Growing Techniques Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:29 am
by Hushpuppy | 77 Posts | 323 Points

That depends on what you mean by trimming below the screen. You absolutely don't want to remove any leaves that are in the light at the top of the canopy, but after the flip, if you see any smaller branches and leaves that are UNDER the canopy and they don't get any light, AND they don't look like they will make it up to the light, then you can remove them. I only remove a couple of the lower branches every few days so that I don't stress the plant with large amounts off cutting and removal. If you have "spindly" lower branches that have little or no chance off getting above the canopy, then cut them all the way back to the larger stem or main trunk. What I mean by "the larger stem" is some of the branches will go out from down low and will extend several smaller branches up through the canopy but will also have 2-3 smaller branches that are well below the canopy with little or no chance of penetrating the canopy to become new bud sites. These little off-shoot branches can be removed while leaving the bigger branch that does penetrate the canopy.

As they flower you will see little "sucker buds" develop around the base off the trunk and on the lower branches in places below the canopy. You can remove these as well because they do nothing but suck up energy from the plant while never becoming viable, mature, ripe buds. Removing these a few at a time will allow the plant to send that energy to the tops, and because the plant is in flower, it will largely ignore the loss of those buds. They call them "sucker buds" because they suck up energy from the plant, they and sucker you into thinking that they will be worth keeping, but they aren't.

Doctor Madbud
Scroll up

in Advanced Growing Techniques Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:40 am
by Monoxide | 649 Posts | 2595 Points

i have always read to do all your lollipopping before you flip to 12/12 . i trimmed mine up and left some on closer to the top there. one reason I did that is because i wanted some of the smaller buds for hash making.

Whoop Whoop! MCL!!
Scroll up

in Advanced Growing Techniques Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:57 am
by The Hemp Goddess | 281 Posts | 1083 Points

I also advise doing trimming before you flip. Do you have a pic of under the screen?

Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History--Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Scroll up

in Advanced Growing Techniques Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:16 pm

Quote: The Hemp Goddess wrote in post #6
I also advise doing trimming before you flip. Do you have a pic of under the screen?

Thanks THG. I'll get and post a pic of under the screen when the light comes on today at 5:00PM.

Scroll up

in Advanced Growing Techniques Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:52 pm
by sin inc | 101 Posts | 934 Points

i also trim because i am only using a 400 watt and i only get heavy bud down to about 12 to 20 inces under the light so i trim the rest .. i am not sorog but i sog all the time

Attached pictures:
IMG_20140202_045434.jpg
IMG_20140202_045941.jpg
IMG_20140212_081555.jpg
IMG_20140212_081605.jpg
IMG_20140214_050517.jpg

Last edited Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:07 pm | Scroll up

in Advanced Growing Techniques Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:02 pm

Quote: JackRyan420 wrote in post #7
Quote: The Hemp Goddess wrote in post #6

Thanks THG. I'll get and post a pic of under the screen when the light comes on today at 5:00PM.

Well, lol, no need to post a pic. Let it suffice for me to say that under the screen, it's bushy, bushy, bushy. From the tops of the pots to the bottom of the screen, there's nothing but branches and leaves.

I just didn't realize I should have cleared this out before flipping to 12/12. My strain is Jack Herer, which takes 13 weeks to flower. So maybe they will have time to catch up even being pruned during very early flower.

First time SCROG...still have a lot to learn.

Scroll up

in Advanced Growing Techniques Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:21 pm

I'm a little confused--I don't see any horizontally growing branches? With a scrog, the growing tips are trained to grow horizontally under the screen. Then when you flip to 12/12 you let the buds grow up vertically through the screen. Under the screen, you should have a bunch of vertically growing branches. The canopy also looks like a normal grow rather than a scrog. Have I missed something here?

Scroll up

in Advanced Growing Techniques Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:41 pm

Quote: The Hemp Goddess wrote in post #10
I'm a little confused--I don't see any horizontally growing branches? With a scrog, the growing tips are trained to grow horizontally under the screen. Then when you flip to 12/12 you let the buds grow up vertically through the screen. Under the screen, you should have a bunch of vertically growing branches. The canopy also looks like a normal grow rather than a scrog. Have I missed something here?

OP here. My grow has 3 plants growing horizontally in a large spiral to cover the screen. Yet I have so much under growth. I attribute that to an excellent light, good reflectivity, and good air circulation in my grow closet. I guess.

Last edited Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:44 pm | Scroll up

in Advanced Growing Techniques Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:53 pm
by sin inc | 101 Posts | 934 Points

Quote: The Hemp Goddess wrote in post #10

HEY MOM YOUR RIGHT DID YOU SEE MY LAST IT THING . I AM NOT SCROG . BUT I SOG ALL THE TIME. come on mom you know i know this stuff sorry about the caps my keyboard has a mind of its own

Scroll up

in Advanced Growing Techniques Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:52 am

Sin inc, good morning. Of course I know you know. LOL--I wasn't paying enough attention (or had smoked too much God's OG Kush) that I thought your pics were Jack's--no wonder I didn't think those pics looked like a scrog, it isn't. I have never understood why they put the caps lock button where they did--it could be way out of the way as it is hardly ever used (on purpose). I realize that you are not screaming at "mom" (insert smiley here)

Jack, you need things trimmed enough so that you have good airflow below the canopy. If not you will have problems. If you think it is too dense for this, I would go ahead and clean it up some even though you are in 12/12. You also need to attribute great looking plants to the grower--good job!

Scroll up

in Advanced Growing Techniques Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:22 pm

Quote: The Hemp Goddess wrote in post #13
Sin inc, good morning. Of course I know you know. LOL--I wasn't paying enough attention (or had smoked too much God's OG Kush) that I thought your pics were Jack's--no wonder I didn't think those pics looked like a scrog, it isn't. I have never understood why they put the caps lock button where they did--it could be way out of the way as it is hardly ever used (on purpose). I realize that you are not screaming at "mom" (insert smiley here)

Jack, you need things trimmed enough so that you have good airflow below the canopy. If not you will have problems. If you think it is too dense for this, I would go ahead and clean it up some even though you are in 12/12. You also need to attribute great looking plants to the grower--good job!

Thanks THG. I trimmed a bit under the screen today. I'll do a bit at a time, with the goal of having all trimming done sometime next week. I don't want to do too much at once.

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 6 Guests are online.

guest counter
Today were 412 (yesterday 224) guests online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 1231 topics and 21953 posts.

0 members have been online today: