feminized seeds

in Advanced Growing Techniques Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:32 am
by surfinc | 1.748 Posts | 6388 Points

I have been reading and i found a few links to colloidal silver water and spraying that on a girl makes her seed.. Sounds kinda GMO but I was wondering if anyone out there had any experience with that..
I was also wondering what that actually is ..(colloidal silver water)
i am a searchin boss am a searchin... ha ha ha

<></p>
Scroll up

RE: feminized seeds

in Advanced Growing Techniques Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:34 am

anyone able to fact check this with experience??
here is one of a few links i found
http://www.growweedeasy.com/how-to-make-...rijuana%20seeds
(is it ok to paste links??)

<></p>
Scroll up

in Advanced Growing Techniques Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:55 am
by 4u2sm0ke • Marijuana is good | 2.333 Posts | 10572 Points

Yes..i am planning to play this playground when the Plant is right.....999% silver and Distilled water....Is what I plan to do...I know there are sprays out there that state they will reverse a Female..but I"m a go with What I been planning ...Feminised seeds have come along way ....Wont it be great if you Paid hard earned $$$ for seeds that only 3 of 10 was feamle?.....and to know all benas was females??....I would grow fem beans More than cloneing..JMO..

Happy Growing

Light travels faster then sound....... This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Scroll up

in Advanced Growing Techniques Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:55 am

what is when plant is right?? i have a pheno i would love to seed...LA CONF.so i spray one then ploinate other clone of same lineage and it should work right? I am going to join you in that sand box...sounds fun to try some.. Is it then GMO weed?

<></p>
Scroll up

in Advanced Growing Techniques Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:28 am
by Drfting07 | 264 Posts | 1092 Points

GMO would be the plants DNA or make-up changes unnaturally. I dont hink this can truely be defined as GMO becuase you arent altering the DNA by adding an outside DNA source. This is what makes GMO corn. A corn plant + DNA from a bacteria that is naturally immune to round-up.

"Never Kick a Fresh Turd on a Hot Day" Harry S. Truman
Feed the Soil, Not the Plant - Umbra
Scroll up

in Advanced Growing Techniques Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:36 am
by ozzydiodude • The Weird One | 2.474 Posts | 11542 Points

IMO you are GMO the plant. You are adding a chemical to cause a hormonal change in the plants that in turn causes a unnatural response. To me a chemical the messes with the sex of a plant is messing with the genetics also.

Let's help each other, by spreading our knowledge of the plants we love

Cannabis grown with care grows into medicine somewhere!
Scroll up

in Advanced Growing Techniques Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:45 am

Quote: ozzydiodude wrote in post #6
IMO you are GMO the plant. You are adding a chemical to cause a hormonal change in the plants that in turn causes a unnatural response. To me a chemical the messes with the sex of a plant is messing with the genetics also.

i lean towards agreement here.. My next dilemma then is GMO weed bad? Im sure that crossing two unnaturally located varieties is in some way then GMO..??
Kinda rambling but ...autos are then GMO right ?? Indica crossed with ruderalis?
also on a side question MJ is a feral species right? so if it wasnt for all the great peeps in the world of growing seed it would then become weaker and weaker??

<></p>
Scroll up

in Advanced Growing Techniques Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:48 am
by ozzydiodude • The Weird One | 2.474 Posts | 11542 Points

IMO crossed strains is not GMO it's when you have to use a chemical reaction to get a result that GMO comes into play.

Let's help each other, by spreading our knowledge of the plants we love

Cannabis grown with care grows into medicine somewhere!
Scroll up

in Advanced Growing Techniques Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:01 am

You dont get gmo from breeding. GMO is done in a lab under midroscope. we simply cant do this without lab equiptment.

Last edited Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:02 am | Scroll up

in Advanced Growing Techniques Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:10 am
by Melvan | 492 Posts | 2234 Points

Feminized genetics is everything that's wrong with our current gene pool. All those years spent by the godfathers of seed making breeding the intersexing trait out, and a bunch of people with chemicals just push it right back into the pool.

I get the consumer demand for femmed beans, if you're a small stealth grower with limited space, knowing you have a higher chance of females is quite the draw, but what good is that if half the plants herm and you have to toss them anyway? There's also the idea in peoples heads that they'll get a duplicate of mom because you're causing her to self pollinate. You actually get all the same pheno variations you would in any F1 cross.

I'll never grow another femmed seed. I'll never test fems for breeders ever again. And I won't use any femmed genetics in any of my personal seed makings.

http://www.greenthumbgirls.com/
Scroll up

in Advanced Growing Techniques Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:19 am
by Rosebud | 499 Posts | 2113 Points

As an organic grower, it is not happening in my grow. I don't do fems, have a bunch of freebies i wont ever use. I only eat organic corn too, it is the only one that isn't gmo'd. Keep it clean, keep it honest.

Scroll up

in Advanced Growing Techniques Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:21 pm

Rose, there are actually only about 8 or 9 breeds of corn that arent GMO. Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds carries them all. Rareseeds.com

Last edited Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:21 pm | Scroll up

in Advanced Growing Techniques Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:33 pm
by BudGrower | 547 Posts | 1925 Points

maybe out of 35 plants i grown from 2011 till now from bagseed only 2 males showed up i dunno if its luck but as i believe keep it natural as u can

peace

Scroll up

in Advanced Growing Techniques Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:37 pm
by The Hemp Goddess | 281 Posts | 1083 Points

Mel, agree with you 100%. IMO, femmed plants (and amateur "breeders" with chemicals) have done a lot of harm to the genetics that were so painstakingly developed. I'm also not too crazy about autos.

BudGrower, if you only have had 2 males show up out of a bunch of bagseed, then you almost certainly have seeds that were created by selfing. When you plant plants like this outdoor, the pollen is free to germinate any plants within the area and results in degradation to the strain and more hermie plants. If you want to keep it as natural as you can, buy quality genetics from a reputable breeder.

Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History--Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Scroll up

in Advanced Growing Techniques Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:54 pm

selfing ? i wish i could THG

Scroll up

in Advanced Growing Techniques Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:01 pm
by The Hemp Goddess | 281 Posts | 1083 Points

LOL--trust me, no you don't (look up the meaning for hermaphrodite). When we talk about selfing, we are talking about female plants that sprout male parts and self pollinate. The resulting seeds now have the hermaphrodite gene a dominant gene and it is in all probability going to do this again and create seeds again, which makes growing a nice sensimillan a near impossibility.

Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History--Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Scroll up

in Advanced Growing Techniques Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:12 pm

LOL the i wish i could was for getting good seeds, and all the plants were females not hermaphrodite, and how this (female plants that sprout male parts and self pollinate) happen

Scroll up

in Advanced Growing Techniques Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:27 pm

so its a marketing ploy that ruins the strains these same companies promote to sell....slowly reducing the quality over time and of the genetics we so cherish?
I can see that...
what about guy like me that want to keep learning maybe push the boundaries alittle bit even...was thinking of crossing interoom...hack breeding??

<></p>
Scroll up

in Advanced Growing Techniques Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:48 pm
by Rosebud | 499 Posts | 2113 Points

I put two boys and a girl in preflower in the bathtub and a few seeds happened. That was satori..have just sprouted the first of those seeds.

Scroll up

in Advanced Growing Techniques Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:35 pm
by Melvan | 492 Posts | 2234 Points

@surfinc It's your grow, and whatever you want to learn to do as part of the hobby is all good. But, if you do make them, don't share them around, don't pass clones to your friends. Keep the fems in your own freezer, then they don't make it in the pool. And don't use the chemicals. Use light interruption, heat stress, underwatering, natural stresses that will cause a plant to herm. The pheno that takes the longest and is the hardest to get to herm is the one you want and will provide you a higher percentage of stable phenos, if you're going to pursue this

But if you really want to push the boundaries, make regs and pheno hunt further generations that are tailored to your personal grow. Take the time to learn more than hunting the girl, learn how to hunt the proper breeding male too. Anyone can stress a plant to make it herm and it's a process that is done in one flowering cycle. The pheno hunt for proper female/male pairing takes much longer, often years, and will teach you so much more about the subtle nuances of our plants.

And yes, feminized seeds are a "caving in" of seed makers to market demands. There's lots and lots of money to be made in fems, especially when they have the false value of them all being "female", and they mark them up according to this perceived value. 20 years I spent in advertising, I know all the tricks to get a buyer's money in the clients pocket, and creating value is the oldest trick in the book.

http://www.greenthumbgirls.com/

Last edited Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:41 pm | Scroll up

in Advanced Growing Techniques Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:00 pm

@Melvan
thanks for what feels like your true opinion on the deal.. I am interested in the learning and humbling effects of learning on the job if you will..
I have planted some seeds recently that are regular seeds.. I am counting on a male to pursue this idea all the way out..
You have brought up points yet thought about by a guy like me so thank you for your reply..

Ok so if one of my JTR crosses is a male and i were to pollinate my J1 with said male ...Thats kinda the idea i had in maind..
What do you think??

<></p>
Scroll up

in Advanced Growing Techniques Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:26 am
by 4u2sm0ke • Marijuana is good | 2.333 Posts | 10572 Points

Than that would be a f2....Now it sounds like the thread is mixed up between "Feminized" and Making seed stock.

Light travels faster then sound....... This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Scroll up

in Advanced Growing Techniques Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:46 pm
by 7greeneyes | 469 Posts | 1830 Points

ALL our current vegetables, domesticated animals and such have been made by selecting the best and most desirable traits then breeding to exploit those traits. This on a basic level is genetic manipulation. If not our carrots would be the size of wheat and tomato's wouldn't exist.

Much like the whole gluten fad, it only works IF YOU'RE ALLERGIC TO GLUTEN. It's a buzzword that you shouldn't ignorantly fall into using unless you know what you're talking about.

And other then hermans, where's your proof of genteic destabilaztion of the cannabis breed. There is none and you're speaking out your anus...At best it's anecdotal with zero proof to back up your claims.

I've been using femmed souced beans since I lost the last of my clone only's, have spread cuts to multiple grow rooms and have had ZERO hermans or even a male for that fact show up.

If you're had a bad experience then it's on the grower's side of things, missed light leak, too many ferts, changing light schedules back and forth...idk w/e ppl do to screw up grows....

BHC# 711

"When injustice becomes law, then resistance becomes duty."
Thomas Jefferson

“I am not the lifestyle police.”- (my new hero) Pitkin County, CO Sheriff Joe DiSalvo

Scroll up

in Advanced Growing Techniques Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:48 pm
by 7greeneyes | 469 Posts | 1830 Points

and here's a buzzword if you really want one: transhumanism

look it up....

BHC# 711

"When injustice becomes law, then resistance becomes duty."
Thomas Jefferson

“I am not the lifestyle police.”- (my new hero) Pitkin County, CO Sheriff Joe DiSalvo

Scroll up

in Advanced Growing Techniques Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:51 pm

ok so if i get you right the slight mod for fem seeds are good?
I am with that..maybe?
I asked cause im not sure...I use synthetic everything else ( sun air feed medium etc)
I have read and seen recently sprays ...colloidal silver...
Thanks for your time and input much appreciated..
I will end up trying both methods im sure cause that's how i roll....

<></p>
Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 4 Guests are online.

guest counter
Today were 298 (yesterday 605) guests online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 1231 topics and 21953 posts.

0 members have been online today: