Another SCROG Question

in Advanced Growing Techniques Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:12 pm
by JackRyan420 | 288 Posts | 1272 Points

I have another SCROG question, regarding how to "reposition the plant/shoots" under the screen throughout vegging and early flower.

Please understand, this is my first SCROG grow. I've never seen it done; I've only read about it. So bear with me, and be gentle. :)

OK, so when new shoots grow above the screen, do you just tuck the new shoots (individually) below the screen, or do you reposition the whole plant under the screen?

I've been repositioning the whole plant. But I saw a picture of a Sannie's Shop grow (done by Sannie himself) that shows that he ties shoots down to the screen with string, which would seem to invalidate me repositioning the whole plant instead of individual shoots.

Have I explained myself clearly here? If so, please give me some schooling.

Thank you.

Scroll up

RE: Another SCROG Question

in Advanced Growing Techniques Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:31 pm
by MR1 | 703 Posts | 2417 Points
Scroll up

in Advanced Growing Techniques Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:23 am
by Sunakard2000 | 59 Posts | 244 Points

you dont reposition the entire plant, and most of the times you dont add the screen until you start flowering, then you adjust all branches under the screen as they grow up and through the screem, they goal is to get as much of the would be vertical growth to become horizontal growth and thus by the end of the 2 week stretch period all main branches will be horizontal giving an even canopy. just keep moving branches that are growing up under the screen so they are more horizontal and keep this up until the plant finishes its 2 week stretch then you can stop adjusting things under the screen.

As always be safe and much green mojo to you my friend!

Current Grow ~ Sunakard Indoor Perpetual Grow multiple strains ~
~Lemon Twist and Lemon OG Kush~

~~~~~~~~~ BHC Member #810 ~~~~~~~~~
Scroll up

in Advanced Growing Techniques Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:26 am
by Monoxide | 649 Posts | 2595 Points

that may be my issue. i filled the screen in veg and then stuck it in 12/12. wasn't a big deal, i just had some uneven buds across the screen

Whoop Whoop! MCL!!
Scroll up

in Advanced Growing Techniques Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:43 pm

Quote: Monoxide wrote in post #4
that may be my issue. i filled the screen in veg and then stuck it in 12/12. wasn't a big deal, i just had some uneven buds across the screen

Yeah MoNo, I think you're right.

From what I've read, it's best to switch to 12/12 when the screen is about 75% full, because plants will continue to grow until 3 weeks into flowering. The goal is to time things such that the screen becomes 100% full exactly at the end of 3rd week flowering. Then the plants will stop growing and go into 100% bud production mode.

But I'm on my first SCROG grow, so what the hell do I know?

Last edited Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:44 pm | Scroll up

in Advanced Growing Techniques Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:23 pm
by Sunakard2000 | 59 Posts | 244 Points

if i remember right your scrogging a single plant, iv scrogged a single plant and a 6 plants in one screen, i didnt add the screen until they were moved to my flower space, when i added in the screen i set it low enough that it filled about 2/3 of the screen, the first 2 weeks of 12/12, the "stretch" or transition phase fills out the remainder of the screen, so i guess the point im trying to get at is usualy you add the screen when its flipped, grown to the right size in veg you can fill at least 50% of the screen once flipped to 12/12 and the first few stretching weeks will fill the rest, if you fill the screen while in veg then theres no space left to tuck the stretching/run away branches, granted it fills the screen but thats not the point, the screen is used to help keep the canopy lower and even, so what should be 5ft+ plant is crammed and spread out under 3ft so lower branches arnt wasted and get the chance to reach the canopy. at this point i wouldnt really worry and just keep tucking runaways under the screen, may take some adjusting but do what yah can to keep things as even as possible and you will be just fine and should have a good yield.

As always be safe and much green mojo to you my friend!

Current Grow ~ Sunakard Indoor Perpetual Grow multiple strains ~
~Lemon Twist and Lemon OG Kush~

~~~~~~~~~ BHC Member #810 ~~~~~~~~~
Scroll up

in Advanced Growing Techniques Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:22 am

@ sunk do you supercrop? or LST only before you put the screen on. It was hard for me to LST the plant without the screens help. I'm sure it takes many tries to get it down just right.

Whoop Whoop! MCL!!
Scroll up

in Advanced Growing Techniques Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:28 am
by The Hemp Goddess | 281 Posts | 1083 Points

When I scrogged, I had the screen up while they were still in veg. I couldn't have kept the branches growing horizontal if I hadn't. In addition, I wouldn't have been able to get the branches to bend horizontally without breaking them. The entire vegging period, I would tuck the little growing tips back under the screen and position them where there was space. I had 2 plants under the screen and never moved the position of the plants, just put the branches in the area I wanted them. I also did not tie them down. I see a lot of people who use a screen, but never train the branches to grow horizontally under the screen. IMO, that is not a scrog--it is just a regular grow that has ulitized a screen.

Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History--Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Scroll up

in Advanced Growing Techniques Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:42 pm
by Hushpuppy | 77 Posts | 323 Points

It really depends on your individual situation as to how you go about it. For me, I was growing many plants in veg until they were about 15" tall above the soil. Then I would move them into the fflower tent and set up 4 plants in each tent. They would never be uniform height so I made my screen to sit on a PVC frame that had legs that positioned the screen exactly 20" above the soil level. But I made my PVC frame so that it wasn't glued together and that allowed me to build it in place or raise it up and keep it up while I set the new plants in place. Then I would slowly lower the screen and move the branches as they contacted the screen so that they would bend out somewhat horizontal under it as it set all the way down.

I would sometimes have to supercrop a couple branches that had grown too tall to just push or bend over. It was rarely a problem to do this because I was used to supercropping, and the plants will repair them branches quickly while still in veg. If a stem was longer and didn't look like it would rise back up to stay at the screen, I just pick it up and tie it to the screen to keep it up until it repaired itself. At this point that I moved the plants into the flower tent, under the screen, I kept the lights on 24hrs ffor another week or 2 to allow the plants to fill the screen before fflipping to 12/12. During this time I would come in every other day and check the branches, and do any necessary maintenance. I would tuck and/or redirect branches so that everyone stayed under the screen and formed a single layer canopy. Some of the branches were still lower than the 20" height when they were set into the fflower tent so the 2 weeks allowed those branches to grow up to and across the screen while the taller branches were bent over earlier and strategically directed. It takes a little practice to get this down because it happens a little differently each time as the plants never grow the same every time.

Iff you are growing 1-3 plants in a single tent from germ to harvest then you can set the screen above them early on and just allow them to grow up to it and begin bending/supercropping/Fimming as needed to fill the screen then flip when you think the screen is about 3/4 full so that there is enough space ffor the "flowering stretch" to grow in to it.

If you use a separate veg space then you will need to do a little more figuring and planning to have them nearly ready before moving them to the flowering space. But you still have to figure on 1-2 weeks of vegging under the flowering light after they are set before fflipping to 12/12; this makes it easier to set the plants and screen in place without having to do major branch adjusting while getting the screen in place.

If I had my ideal grow space, I would have low tables that are 3'x6' and on wheels so that I could set up the whole table of plants with the screen in place and just wheel them into the vegging room and move them as needed for maintanence. Then when they have filled the screens enough, I could just wheel them into the flower room and connect the table to the rez system in the flower room. Then when its time to harvest, I can wheel the table out and into the harvesting room where the work is done and the subsequent cleaning of the table and prepping for the next batch of newly set plants to go into position

Doctor Madbud
Scroll up

in Advanced Growing Techniques Tue May 20, 2014 1:48 pm

I don't mean to hijack your thread, but its on the same subject. I would like to have some opinions. I have a perpetual grow that allows me to harvest 4 plants a month. I was setup to scrog but after figuring out that my rotation caused me to have 6 plants in my flower tent at a time I had to give up the scrog method. my question is. I If I redid my scrog nets to be 1.25 wide but 3.75 long, would it be worth it? That way I could fit 6 plants all scrogged in my 4x4 tent. 2 plants in each rotation. Or would it just be better to grow naturally 6 plants?

Whoop Whoop! MCL!!
Scroll up

in Advanced Growing Techniques Wed May 21, 2014 8:17 pm

No one wants to chime in?

Whoop Whoop! MCL!!
Scroll up

in Advanced Growing Techniques Wed May 21, 2014 8:22 pm

I wish I could give you some advice on this one MoNo, but I'm just a beginner at SCROG myself. Maybe THG will be along shortly and give some advice.

Scroll up

in Advanced Growing Techniques Wed May 21, 2014 9:18 pm
by surfinc | 1.748 Posts | 6388 Points

I would guess better to do natural maybe topped a few times sounds like you have no problem filling the space...if it's not efficient than maybe a scrog can improve your yield but that's just a guess honestly

<p></p>
Scroll up

in Advanced Growing Techniques Thu May 22, 2014 7:30 am

well i ordered the global garden friends clips, they should be in today. I have woke up two days in a row to one of the kali 47 laying over. i have them strung up but it didnt hold.

Whoop Whoop! MCL!!
Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 8 Guests are online.

guest counter
Today were 70 (yesterday 473) guests online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 1231 topics and 21953 posts.

0 members have been online today: