Anyone got an idea that might help?

in things you need to know Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:00 am
by Melvan | 492 Posts | 2234 Points

So, our gas lines from our gas well that's on the property are frozen and we have almost non existent pressure until we get pass this cold spell, which won't be for at least a week. The well is on our property, so the gas comes directly to us, no public utility involved. First time this has happened since we have lived here, at least 6 years, but according to the property owner it's happened before when it's gotten this cold (which is abnormal for this area)

Here's my issue. I'm going to have to run a kerosene heater for a few days. Electric space heaters are a no go in this house, wiring is old and it's just a fire waiting to happen, don't even like having the one I use in veg running.

My flower room is dead center of the house. You access it off the kitchen and it's built under the stairs that go to my second floor. I know that running the kerosene heater is going to push the keorsene smell and flavor towards the flower room. My current "grower in training" made the huge mistake of running one outside of his flowering tent last winter, the pot was just god awful, and he had lots of ventilation and a carbon filter. The heater itself was actually at the base of the steps of his first floor, and the kerosene went up the steps and still permeated the tent.

So, how do I run this kerosene heater and minimize the nastiness from the kerosene from getting into the buds? If I'm only running it a week will that be enough to turn the buds to that nasty kerosene smell and flavor?

Last edited Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:01 am | Scroll up

RE: Anyone got an idea that might help?

in things you need to know Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:16 am
by ozzydiodude • The Weird One | 2.474 Posts | 11542 Points

Can you reverse your air supply and filer/ carbon scrubb the air going into the growing area?

Let's help each other, by spreading our knowledge of the plants we love
Scroll up

in things you need to know Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:23 am
by orangesunshine | 803 Posts | 3182 Points

can u use a propane heater instead

Scroll up

in things you need to know Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:26 am

oz and pcduck both suggested those 2 things. The filter is already in a spot where it scrubs as the air enters. Propane may be possible, heading to Lowe's to see what I find. Thanks for the tips!

Scroll up

in things you need to know Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:36 am
by Grower13 | 513 Posts | 2013 Points

plastic sheeting or those plastic sheets painters put down to save your carpet can be use to seal off room.......... with your room in center of house the raditional heat should keep it warm enough for a few days.

#1 Rule......... tell no one

MP BHC.......0013

Last edited Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:36 am | Scroll up

in things you need to know Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:52 am
by Grower13 | 513 Posts | 2013 Points

#1 Rule......... tell no one

MP BHC.......0013

Last edited Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:54 am | Scroll up

in things you need to know Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:37 am
by The Hemp Goddess | 281 Posts | 1083 Points

I would say that if the kerosene odor is so bad that it is somehow permeating the bud (are you SURE it was this and not something else as I have never heard of this?) that you are also breathing those fumes in, which has to be extremely bad for your lungs and probably the other parts of your body in general. If this is happening, I would suggest that the kerosene heater may not be operating properly or safely. I know that this doesn't answer your question, but I am really questioning whether a kerosene heater that is operating correctly and safely would be spewing enough fumes that the plants would take up the smell....or the god-awful taste was caused by some other factor.

Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History--Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Scroll up

in things you need to know Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:58 am
by 4u2sm0ke • Marijuana is good | 2.333 Posts | 10572 Points

If you reverse the scrubber...would this not let the MJ smells out?...and what about when She enters the room?...the gas will enter IMO...If ya just wanting warm the plants can ya run some space heaters..and use ceiling fans if ya have some...this will move the air....Best of Luck Melvan

take care and be safe
Scroll up

in things you need to know Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:19 pm
by mikeydean | 63 Posts | 285 Points

4U she has an old house with old wiring, don't want to use space heaters..fire danger

Scroll up

in things you need to know Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:33 pm

HempG, the kerosene issue was last winter with my newbie grower at his grow in his house. He had a massive heater he ran at the base of his stairs to heat the entire house, and he ran it throughout his run. When he harvested it smelled and tasted only of kerosene.

Good news is that the maintenance company that handles the well has been here and the gas is back up and running, so we won't freeze and my girls aren't going to taste and smell like crap, lol.

Last edited Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:35 pm | Scroll up

in things you need to know Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:20 pm
by Justa420Friend | 633 Posts | 2284 Points

might want to keep a back-up plan in mind...
Monday's high 4
Tuesday high -5 (low -10)

from your Browns thread, I think were in close proximity to each other
(... to each other ? OF each other?.... ehh whateva')

NASTY COLD!

Scroll up

in things you need to know Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:23 pm

For sure, it's brutal cold where I am, colder than I've seen it in years.

Guys who manage the well said there won't be any further issues, and if there are I'm to call day or night and they'll be out. They don't want it sitting idle even for a day, they lose a lot of money on what that pump is suppose to be bringing out.

Scroll up

in things you need to know Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:24 pm
by mas flores | 3 Posts | 7 Points

I grew one winter in an old basement that had logs for beams (real old basement) and an oil furnace. The fumes were minimal and although there was an outflow pipe for the CO2 produced some must have escaped because the buds were huge (first time Big Bud and Haze cross). Your gas burner must be producing large amounts of CO2. Are you trying to put it to use in your grow?

Scroll up

in things you need to know Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:40 am

Actually, yes. I have 2 large ventless natural gas heaters in the basement that are on all winter to keep the chill off the house and the floors warm. They're very large, I'd say 4ft long x 3ft tall. One of these is very close to the ventilation for incoming air into my flower room so I'm sucking that extra CO2 straight up into the room.

Honestly, not really sure if I notice a difference as I already have 3x the amount of light necessary for the space, but every little bit helps.

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 9 Guests are online.

guest counter
Today were 75 (yesterday 588) guests online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 1231 topics and 21953 posts.

0 members have been online today: