Speaking of Succulents, . . . . . . . . . Can anyone help Identify this plant please? Thanks!

in Coffee Table Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:23 am
by WeatherMan | 77 Posts | 146 Points

Hello everyone,

wanted to ask if anyone could help identify what type of plant this is.

I have had it for 15-20 years and it just flowered for the first time this past fall.

Such pretty little flowers.

Thanks for any help ~

Attached pictures:
IMG_3236crop.jpg
IMG_3236crop2.jpg

Thomas Jefferson retirement papers:
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."
Scroll up

RE: Speaking of Succulents, . . . . . . . . . Can anyone help Identify this plant please? Thanks!

in Coffee Table Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:26 am
by The Hemp Goddess | 281 Posts | 1083 Points

Well that is just beautiful! Can we get a picture of the entire plant? It does look as if it could be some kind of jade plant from the leaves I can see, but there are a lot of different succulents out there.

Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History--Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Scroll up

RE: Speaking of Succulents, . . . . . . . . . Can anyone help Identify this plant please? Thanks!

in Coffee Table Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:35 am

Thank you!

I will try to post-back with a picture of the entire plant.....

:)

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."
Scroll up

in Coffee Table Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:18 am
by Rosebud | 499 Posts | 2113 Points

I know, I know, I know....It is a Hoya.... I love that bloom..wax and drips scent. I have that plant. LOVE IT. How old is it? The story is it takes them 7 years to bloom. I have found that to be false. Takes longer for some.

To laugh often and love much; to win the respect of intelligent persons and the affection of children; to earn the approbation of honest citizens and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty; to find the best in others; to give of one’s self; to leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; to have played and laughed with enthusiasm and sung with exultation; to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived—this is to have succeeded.”
Scroll up

in Coffee Table Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:48 pm

Thank you Rosebud, I am thinking this one is 15-20 years old and we are quite certain it has never flowered before.

I looked up Hoya pictures, and yes the flowers look like these!

So is the Hoya a jade?

Thanks again to both of you for your help :)

Scroll up

in Coffee Table Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:01 pm

I don't believe it is any relation to the jade. totally different growth habit. It is a vine, tropical vine. The blooms feel waxy and drip fragrance.... I love that plant. I have had one that bloomed and the one i have now has not. Had it for probably 10 years at least. Enjoy that lovely plant.

To laugh often and love much; to win the respect of intelligent persons and the affection of children; to earn the approbation of honest citizens and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty; to find the best in others; to give of one’s self; to leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; to have played and laughed with enthusiasm and sung with exultation; to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived—this is to have succeeded.”

Last edited Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:02 pm | Scroll up

in Coffee Table Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:10 pm

I have been looking up Hoya Flower pictures, and although the flowers look the same, the leaves and plant structure are different on mine!

I will try to show some more pictures of my plant soon.

Thanks again!

Scroll up

in Coffee Table Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:22 pm

2 more pics. . .
okay, now these close ups reveal the plant doesn't look the 'best' it possibly could...I know

do these pics help confirm with you Rosebud that we are looking at the Hoya?

Thanks!

Attached pictures:
DSCN3344.JPG
DSCN3345.JPG

Scroll up

in Coffee Table Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:27 pm

Also found a web site that does show a plant that looks just as mine:
hMCp://www.stylenochaser.com/article/gre...ur-bachelor-pad <------change the hMCp: to http to view:

Hoya (Carnosa)

Scroll up

in Coffee Table Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:35 pm
by 4u2sm0ke • Marijuana is good | 2.333 Posts | 10572 Points

Dam that RoseBud smart chick

THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Scroll up

in Coffee Table Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:47 pm

Yes, I have seen that curly Hoya before, it is a cutey. I have had them in our home forever... I think i might give mine a little shot of food and see if it blooms. Pretty flower.

Scroll up

in Coffee Table Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:25 pm
by shortbus | 253 Posts | 1304 Points

Quote: 4u2sm0ke wrote in post #10
Dam that RoseBud smart chick

was thinking the exact same thing

greenmojo
Scroll up

in Coffee Table Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:50 pm
by wetdog | 2 Posts | 6 Points

Yep, Hoya.

DO NOT cut the flowers off! They bloom again from the same structure. I cut some off for my wife and found out the hard way.

It does take forever to bloom, but was pretty regular once it started. Of course it was outside in SoFl, so no idea about anything north of Ft.Lauderdale. Had it for years till a hurricane finally took it.

Wet

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 7 Guests are online.

guest counter
Today were 258 (yesterday 588) guests online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 1231 topics and 21953 posts.

0 members have been online today: