Help with drying and curing

in Dry and Curing Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:16 am
by ArtVandolay | 44 Posts | 257 Points

I've always had a problem drying and curing my plants. First, a question. If my Caliber III hygrometer, which is sealed in a quart Ball jar along with my recent Deadhead OG harvest reads 70%, and the current general RH is 80%, it seems counterproductive to me to burp or open the jar in an attempt to reduce the RH in the jar. So, iif you agree that the RH inside the jar will go up rather than down if the jar is burped or opened, please read on .

My problem is that the general RH around here rarely falls below 65% (all year around) or so and even when it does, it rarely stays at low levels very long. I really need to get RH in the jar below 60% because if I don't it molds. I've found that aiming a small fan directly into the open jars helps prevent mold and buys me a longer period of time to cash in on low RH levels but it can take months to get RH in the sealed jar below 60%.

I'm wondering about 2 potential solutions - putting those dessicant packages in the sealed jars and/or some sort of small enclosure that also contains a dehumidifier. Do any of you far-brighter-than-me experts have any comments/advice?

[quote=aplaisia]...As for Art and NV... I figured we would have comments such as this.
It is so unfortunate. [/quote]

Hear me now and believe me later!

[quote=old money]Art you have 2868 posts, most stupid words that be long else where. Get a girl friend or a boy. You sure waste time and words. Now I see you are righting untruths. What a shame for the people who really don't know. About male female plants... Wow 2868 post what a waste. [/quote]
Scroll up

RE: Help with drying and curing

in Dry and Curing Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:46 am
by Rosebud | 499 Posts | 2113 Points

Well, i don't qualify for far-brighter-than-you..... so with that stipulated... I think you should use the packets and the fan. To err on the side of too much air is far better then mold. Really what choice do you have? So it dries a little faster and is harsh... still better then mold. I guess you could buy a dehumidifier and put it in a closet and have the cure in there... I got nothing Art... But, good luck. I care.

To laugh often and love much; to win the respect of intelligent persons and the affection of children; to earn the approbation of honest citizens and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty; to find the best in others; to give of one’s self; to leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; to have played and laughed with enthusiasm and sung with exultation; to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived—this is to have succeeded.”
Scroll up

in Dry and Curing Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:52 am
by MR1 | 703 Posts | 2417 Points

I would have a dehumidifier just for my own comfort but you could do what Rosebud said and put a small dehumidifier in a closet or small room and it would not have to run very long to keep your humidity where you like it.

Scroll up

in Dry and Curing Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:56 am
by 4u2sm0ke • Marijuana is good | 2.333 Posts | 10572 Points

Hello Art..nice to see you...I started using these Boveda But this is after the dry...we too have High RH here and these seem to work well

http://www.bovedainc.com/store/herbal/

Light travels faster then sound....... This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Scroll up

in Dry and Curing Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:22 am

You guys are great! Nice find, 4U, happy to see you and glad you're here at MC!

May the Giant Orb of Tinfoil be with you always :)

[quote=aplaisia]...As for Art and NV... I figured we would have comments such as this.

[quote=old money]Art you have 2868 posts, most words that be long else where. Get a girl friend or a boy. You sure waste time and words. Now I see you are righting untruths. What a shame for the people who really don't know. About male female plants... Wow 2868 post what a waste. [/quote]

Last edited Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:23 am | Scroll up

in Dry and Curing Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:24 am
by The Hemp Goddess | 281 Posts | 1083 Points

I live in an arid place, so don't have any suggestions. I just want to say, "Hi, Art!"

Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History--Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Scroll up

in Dry and Curing Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:44 am
by pcduck (deleted)

I agree with Rose :gota:

Obtinuit vermis?

Site Rules
Scroll up

in Dry and Curing Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:11 pm

Check it out - lots of my good friends here

Thanks for saying high, everyone :)

Hi, duck! Hi THG!

Those Boveda things are pretty cool! What RH do you buy,4u?? The choices I see are much higher than I though was safe for long term storage. For some reason, I thought I needed sub-60% RH in long term storage jars. FYI 4U2 - prices are much better at amzon :hubba:

[quote=old money]Art you have 2868 posts, most words that be long else where. Get a girl friend or a boy. You sure waste time and words. Now I see you are righting untruths. What a shame for the people who really don't know. About male female plants... Wow 2868 post what a waste. [/quote]

Last edited Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:15 pm | Scroll up

in Dry and Curing Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:58 pm
by Cubby | 1.267 Posts | 4795 Points

Hey Art, how much are you storing? Have you considered a humidor?

MarP Class of 2007

BHC #6 7/8
Scroll up

in Dry and Curing Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:39 pm
by Dr Green Fang | 142 Posts | 864 Points

I'm going to be buying the 62% packs and trying them.

Also, I would burp the jars no matter way Art. Go burp them with the fridge door open... should have a lower immediate area of RH.. just a guess though? Either way, the container needs to off gas, no just exchange O2 etc.

Just my thoughts. :)

Scroll up

in Dry and Curing Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:44 pm
by 4u2sm0ke • Marijuana is good | 2.333 Posts | 10572 Points

I bought the 62 case...havent tried anything else The Dispensary use those so I gave them a try and no worries for burping...when I place the jar I want to store for long time I use a New lid as well...I think the seal breaks down after burping a while...they seem to be popular here at the Shops. Best of Luck Art..and thanks for the Amazon search...that place has everything...but wanted to share the Boveda Site so you can get good info...

take care and be safe

Light travels faster then sound....... This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Scroll up

in Dry and Curing Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:04 pm

Quote: Cubby wrote in post #9

Hey Art, how much are you storing? Have you considered a humidor?

Hi ya Cubby! I have a total of about 12 - 15 quart jars. I don't store in anything bigger or other than quart jars so some are the same strain and I also have quite a few different strains from grows over the years. For example, last month I was very disappointed to find a bit of mold in a quart of Sour Diesel Moonshine (from 2010, I think).

I grow quite a bit more than my & the wife can smoke I'm just having too much fun growing
Great to see you here, Cubby!

[quote=old money]Art you have 2868 posts, most stupid words that be long else where. Get a girl friend or a boy. You sure waste time and words. Now I see you are righting untruths. What a shame for the people who really don't know. About male female plants... Wow 2868 post what a waste. [/quote]
Scroll up

in Dry and Curing Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:07 pm

Quote: Dr Green Fang wrote in post #10

...Also, I would burp the jars no matter way Art. Go burp them with the fridge door open... should have a lower immediate area of RH.. just a guess though? Either way, the container needs to off gas, no just exchange O2 etc.

Just my thoughts. :)

Brilliant, Dr Fang, thanks

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 12 Guests are online.

guest counter
Today were 144 (yesterday 415) guests online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 1231 topics and 21953 posts.

0 members have been online today: