BaseBall opening Night

in Sports Talk Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:57 am
by 4u2sm0ke • Marijuana is good | 2.333 Posts | 10572 Points

okay so I watched the Seattle Mariners spank the California Angels ..Last night....weirdest thing was the opening pitch the old fella catching the ball Broke his leg doing so....Went his entire carrier (11 yrs )....and no bones broken...

They back at it again tonight.....What team do you cheer for?

Light travels faster then sound....... This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Scroll up

RE: BaseBall opening Night

in Sports Talk Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:34 pm
by orangesunshine | 803 Posts | 3182 Points

DODGERS BABY

Scroll up

in Sports Talk Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:42 pm
by umbra | 780 Posts | 4085 Points

still a phillies fan, lol die hard fan. Chase Utley was 1 of my neighbors

Scroll up

in Sports Talk Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:45 pm

Quote: umbra wrote in post #3
still a phillies fan, lol die hard fan. Chase Utley was 1 of my neighbors

so cal boy drafted by the dodgers

Scroll up

in Sports Talk Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:45 pm
by JackRyan420 | 288 Posts | 1272 Points

I really used to love baseball. And still do, at the collegiate level and below. I was a Braves fan for many years.

But baseball's rules of allowing the rich teams to spend much more on players than the small-market teams can afford really turned me off to pro baseball. Basically, the rich teams like the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, and a select few other teams can borderline BUY playoff berths by being able to over-spend on players. And small-market teams have virtually no chance of contending.

Yes, I know some small-market teams occasionally win out over the rich monster teams. But just ask the Pittsburgh Pirates how often that happens.

Baseball would be smart to adopt a salary cap. But the player's union would never allow it.

While fans are sitting in the stands worrying about how the cost of attending the game may hurt their budget, the players are sitting in the dugout looking at yacht magazines and caring a little less than they should about the game. IMHO.

A beer? $8.00. A small snack? $7.00. A souvineer for a child? The cost of a decent birthday present. A decent meal for a family of 4? Probably $75.

Prices I encountered a couple years ago while taking my nephews to a Braves game.

I occasionally watch pro baseball, and the playoffs are good. I just wish they would get real with the cost of attending a game.

Just MHO.

Last edited Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:53 pm | Scroll up

in Sports Talk Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:35 pm

oh..Im with ya on the rich Owners league ....I placed a curse on A-Rod after he left The Mariners ....Left for the $$$..and did not win the World series... and from what I hear has been striped of Hall Fame...???...That was when I started to decline..but still is .."America's Favorite pass time "...lol....1 hr and 35 minutes to first pitch...

more Later

Light travels faster then sound....... This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Scroll up

in Sports Talk Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:43 pm

touche jr420---you mention both my al and nl teams and i have many years and rooting history for both---that be all fine and well for the FAIR WEATHER FANS---no doubt baseballs pastime is long gone and the business of baseball is lagging in many cities---but you can't be angry with those who were fans before the days of buying a pennant became the norm---turner did the same thing---just a changing of the guard---cant be mad cause another ball club now has the deeper pockets of the day---hopefully one day it will all level out to fair playing field possibly with a salary cap---but i see changes in ownership as another solution---some might look at it as a redistribution of wealth---not that i like the packers but their business model is on the right track---i'd prolly be a bit disappointed if i were an atlanta fan too---peace---lol---

Scroll up

in Sports Talk Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:10 pm
by surfinc | 1.748 Posts | 6388 Points

they have like 34, 658 games to play in the regular season...how important can it be....just a gouge on the fans .. ...pro sports are past tense for me anymore...
grew up watching Garvey Cey and Lopes....So "Doyers" in my best spanglish accent

<></p>
Scroll up

in Sports Talk Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:42 pm
by Drfting07 | 264 Posts | 1092 Points

Go Sox!

Boston Strong!

"Never Kick a Fresh Turd on a Hot Day" Harry S. Truman
Feed the Soil, Not the Plant - Umbra
Scroll up

in Sports Talk Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:02 am
by Cubby | 1.267 Posts | 4795 Points

Born and raised in New England, live in Minnesota..................the only time I go to see the Twins is when the Red Sox come to town to kick their ass.

MarP Class of 2007

BHC #6 7/8

Scroll up

in Sports Talk Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:32 am

Mariners Win again..Going for the Sweep tonight

Mariners are Undefeated :D

Scroll up

in Sports Talk Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:17 pm

Quote: orangesunshine wrote in post #7
touche jr420---you mention both my al and nl teams and i have many years and rooting history for both---that be all fine and well for the FAIR WEATHER FANS---no doubt baseballs pastime is long gone and the business of baseball is lagging in many cities---but you can't be angry with those who were fans before the days of buying a pennant became the norm---turner did the same thing---just a changing of the guard---cant be mad cause another ball club now has the deeper pockets of the day---hopefully one day it will all level out to fair playing field possibly with a salary cap---but i see changes in ownership as another solution---some might look at it as a redistribution of wealth---not that i like the packers but their business model is on the right track---i'd prolly be a bit disappointed if i were an atlanta fan too---peace---lol---

Yes, Ted Turner over spent on players as well. That's back when I was a Braves fan.

Honestly orange, I have nothing against your teams. Or any pro teams. But I think the lack of a salary cap in MLB has allowed the evolution of 6-7 "super teams" that dominate most seasons. And that's not good for the league or fandom as a whole.

The NFL, on the other hand, reigns in the spending, yet is the most popular sport in America. The league is designed for every team to go 8-8 every year, with a more even playing field for all. And it has proven to be a great model.

Peace.

Scroll up

in Sports Talk Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:27 pm

Quote: surfinc wrote in post #8
they have like 34, 658 games to play in the regular season...how important can it be....just a gouge on the fans .. ...pro sports are past tense for me anymore...
grew up watching Garvey Cey and Lopes....So "Doyers" in my best spanglish accent

Yes, that's a great point. MLB plays too many games per year. Just consider all the Tommy John surgeries under way for an array of Cy Young candidates already this year.

With so many MLB games every year, the importance of any one game is vastly minimized. The players know it, and pace themselves accordingly. Yes I know that one game can determine the season, but the same could be said if there were 1000 games per season.

If I were an MLB fan today, I would want to see the best players performing at their best levels in the playoffs. And that's never going to happen with teams playing a ridiculous 162 games per year.

Scroll up

in Sports Talk Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:30 pm

Double post - sorry.

Last edited Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:31 pm | Scroll up

in Sports Talk Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:29 pm

Mariners

3 - 0

WOOT WOOT

Scroll up

in Sports Talk Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:31 pm

okay so we lost a few to the "A's"

But we started the opemong night..down bt 3..and fired back to a 4-3 going 4th inning

Dabb Time

Scroll up

in Sports Talk Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:26 am

Seattle Wins...5-3

Going at it again tonight

Scroll up

in Sports Talk Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:21 pm

we have a Day game going right now against the Texas Rangers and started down by 4 but this 3rd inning Seattle put up 5 runs so far..Woot Woot!!!!

Dabb Time

Scroll up

in Sports Talk Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:21 pm

Sweeet.....another run in....6-4

Scroll up

in Sports Talk Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:37 pm

Mariners Lose 8-6

Scroll up

in Sports Talk Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:04 am

we go to Houston tonight

GO MARINERS!!!!!!

Scroll up

in Sports Talk Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:11 am
by Drfting07 | 264 Posts | 1092 Points

Anyone seen the white sox new ace? Crazy pitch! Almost like randy johnson. Has heat behind it.

Red Sox play the O's. should be a good series

"Never Kick a Fresh Turd on a Hot Day" Harry S. Truman
Feed the Soil, Not the Plant - Umbra
Scroll up

in Sports Talk Tue May 06, 2014 10:05 pm

sweeeet....

we at 500 now and playN the A's...who is in 1st. gonna sit back ..do some trimming...smoke some weeds.... and watch some Baseball...

Scroll up

in Sports Talk Thu May 08, 2014 12:18 am

okay we lost the 2nd game..we still in the Run

Scroll up

in Sports Talk Thu May 08, 2014 10:37 pm

Kansas City is in town tonight....Need get this Blue Kush finished trimmed

But first need

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 9 Guests are online.

guest counter
Today were 164 (yesterday 460) guests online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 1231 topics and 21953 posts.

0 members have been online today: