Stupid White grubs

in Coffee Table Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:45 am
by Weedhopper | 1.210 Posts | 4031 Points

Been working on my Garden( 2 raised beds, 4 X 10 X 12") They are Organic,,and this is my second yr to use them. The Veggies were the best i have ever grown(organic,,I love it)
So its the first Till they have gotten,, and I am finding out how much those Little Bastages love Organic Gardens. I hand picked those White SOBs outta of both,,and there were a bucket full. Birds are having a field day. LOL
What a pain in the ACE. Anybody run into this is their Organic Gardens?

We are a form of Energy and Energy never dies,,IT JUST CHANGES FORMS. Im gonna be Dirt,,your gonna be POO. LOL
Scroll up

RE: Stupid White grubs

in Coffee Table Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:24 pm

Hey,,come on,,I know some of you Stoners have an Organic Garden. LOL

We are a form of Energy and Energy never dies,,IT JUST CHANGES FORMS. Im gonna be Dirt,,your gonna be POO. LOL
Scroll up

in Coffee Table Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:57 pm
by MR1 | 703 Posts | 2417 Points

Weedhopper, I don't add anything to my garden. All I do is till under the rotten tomatoes and cucumbers that don't get picked in the fall and till it up again in spring. I guess that would be organic, I never thought about it. As for the grubs, I have never noticed them but then again I don' keep that close an eye on my garden.

Scroll up

in Coffee Table Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:08 pm

I just never noticed before I guess because I never was organic before last yr. I used Chems,,now I dont. My soil is all Organic,,and loved by the white grubs.LOL

Scroll up

in Coffee Table Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:30 pm
by MR1 | 703 Posts | 2417 Points

What do they eat?

Scroll up

in Coffee Table Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:59 pm
by 4u2sm0ke • Marijuana is good | 2.333 Posts | 10572 Points

Depends on what Grubs you are talking about...Just like Bugs..Some ARE Beneficial...If you are to be "Organic"..Speaking.....Do you have a Picture of this Bucket full Grubs?....That would tell us A lot..

Light travels faster then sound....... This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Scroll up

in Coffee Table Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:17 pm

Its the White Grub known by many who love there Lawns and hate them dirty bastages. I did some research and found many who find them in their compost. They love compost and roots. There are ways to control them with Chems,,but that aint gonna happen. Also there is a certain type of Nematode that kills them. For now I will till and hand pick. Just thought maybe someone here might have dealt wth them before. No big deal. I will deal with their ace.
https://insects.tamu.edu/fieldguide/bimg141.html

Small paragraph from sit above.
Habitat, Food Source(s), Damage: Mouthparts are for chewing. Phyllophaga crinita is common in Texas turfgrass, particularly bermudagrass, St. Augustinegrass and tall fescue. Feeding of large numbers of grubs causes lawns to turn yellow and die. Severely damaged grass can be "rolled up" like a carpet. Grubs also feed on the roots of weeds, vegetable transplants and ornamental plants. In agriculture, they are important pests of forage, corn, sorghum and sugarcane. Most severe injury to plants is caused by large (third stage or instar) grubs feeding on roots in the fall and spring. White grubs are frequently encountered tilling garden soil or by sifting through soil underneath damaged turfgrass. Adults can be abundant around lights in the spring of the year.

Last edited Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:21 pm | Scroll up

in Coffee Table Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:52 pm
by 4u2sm0ke • Marijuana is good | 2.333 Posts | 10572 Points

I know the ones Here in The PNW as to be white..fat Larvae...that turn into a beatle in spring...????....Never Hurt my plats so far??/

Light travels faster then sound....... This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Scroll up

in Coffee Table Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:32 pm
by shortbus | 253 Posts | 1304 Points

i'm pretty sure the species of nematode that kills the grub is most prevalent in earth worm casting. i'm gonna go look through "teaming with microbes", i'm sure that's where i read it. if my memory turns out to still be intact, then i'd suggest regular compost tea's with lots of casting's in the tea bag.

greenmojo

Scroll up

in Coffee Table Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:44 am

Ill look into that. I have Earth Worms in my Garden,,but have never used the castings yet,
I use Happy- Gro potting Soil,Peat Moss,Blood Meal,Bone Meal,Happy- Gro Cow Manure Compost,My Compost and Garden Lime and then I top it with Happy -Gro Landscape mix for mulch..My Veggies kicked butt last yr with that mix and my Compost Teas,

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 12 Guests are online.

guest counter
Today were 139 (yesterday 605) guests online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 1231 topics and 21953 posts.

0 members have been online today: