What could I be doing wrong?

in Germination Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:25 pm
by Monoxide | 649 Posts | 2595 Points

I can't figure out why my clones are not making it. Its been about 10 days and I don't see anything really happening. I have a heat mat, tray and dome, rapids rooters, and I use Clonex gel. I Cut my clones at an angle scratch the bottom of the stem to help the roots come through the cell walls. I spray my dome regularly. It does seem to dry up pretty quick. Maybe its in the watering? I usually just try to keep the rr's damp. Any help would be appreciated! I will post pics next.

Whoop Whoop! MCL!!
Scroll up

RE: What could I be doing wrong?

in Germination Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:29 pm

Here they are.

Attached pictures:
image.jpg
image_2.jpg

Whoop Whoop! MCL!!

Last edited Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:30 pm | Scroll up

in Germination Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:32 pm
by Grower13 | 513 Posts | 2013 Points

What strain is it? Some of them can be tough. Give them more time.......... unless they're like dead and brown or moldy.

#1 Rule......... tell no one

MP BHC.......0013

Last edited Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:02 pm | Scroll up

in Germination Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:49 pm

Critical Kush and Underdawg OG. I just bought some super thrive. Not sure if I should add or just continue using PH water.

Whoop Whoop! MCL!!
Scroll up

in Germination Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:36 pm

Do you have those clones under direct light?........... Try keeping them further away from the light......... don't want photosynthesis to take place......... want the plant to see/sense the light but not directly under it.

MP BHC.......0013
Scroll up

in Germination Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:59 pm
by Cubby | 1.267 Posts | 4795 Points

I agree with G-13, move them from directly under the light, and some strains are really finicky when it comes to cloning. I would hold off on the super thrive...but that's just me.

BHC #6 7/8
Scroll up

in Germination Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:04 pm

Well I have them on top of my t5 with now light directly on them for 7 days. Then on the 8th day I just turned on the 60w cfl above it. Should I keep the light above it off the entire cloning process?

Whoop Whoop! MCL!!

Last edited Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:04 pm | Scroll up

in Germination Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:07 pm

Also, how to water them? I have just been putting maybe a cup of water in the bottom of the tray and spilling a little bit through the rapid rooter to keep them damp.

Whoop Whoop! MCL!!
Scroll up

in Germination Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:24 pm

Do the rapid rooters soak up water? If they do I'd just pour some water out on the tray and let them soak up what they'll hold and pour off the remaining water on the tray when they soak up what they'll hold

MP BHC.......0013
Scroll up

in Germination Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:05 pm
by Melvan | 492 Posts | 2234 Points

Most likely the rapid rooters are too wet. If you don't get a bit of drying going on, the cuttings have no need to reach out roots to search for moisture. Don't let them go dry as dust of course, but I would let them lose 1/2 their moisture before wetting again. And, you're doing it right, sit them down in the water and let them soak it up, but don't leave them sitting in the water after they're wet.

Also, when you take a cut, it's possible to make an air embolism around the actual cut that rooting gel only reinforces, switch to powder.

I've been using this method as long as I can remember, can't remember the last time I had a cut fail for any reason except my personal growing errors. http://www.greenthumbgirls.com/mels-grow...w-medium-wedges

Good luck

http://www.greenthumbgirls.com/

Last edited Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:07 pm | Scroll up

in Germination Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:20 pm
by orangesunshine | 803 Posts | 3182 Points

imo---keep them in the 24 hr light---just not direct light---lose the dome unless the RH in your spot is 50% or less---they need fresh air too---i would also ditch the super thrive---continue watering as you are---they need to be moist not soaked---compare the rooter to a sponge---it's best 1/2 saturated---also keep ur eye on the ambient room temperature is best below 75 f---be patient so long as they standing upright---you are fine---ain't no thang for a cut to take 14 + days---i have found the better strains are the most stubborn to grow legs---green mojo bro

Scroll up

in Germination Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:32 pm

Quote: orangesunshine wrote in post #11
imo---keep them in the 24 hr light---just not direct light---lose the dome unless the RH in your spot is 50% or less---they need fresh air too---i would also ditch the super thrive---continue watering as you are---they need to be moist not soaked---compare the rooter to a sponge---it's best 1/2 saturated---also keep ur eye on the ambient room temperature is best below 75 f---be patient so long as they standing upright---you are fine---ain't no thang for a cut to take 14 + days---i have found the better strains are the most stubborn to grow legs---green mojo bro

The cabinet is usually above 75. Maybe I should take the tray and dome out of the cabinet and just turn my 60w cfl on beside it. If I don't need the dome. Then I'll ditch it. I'm tired of having to spray it down 10 times a day anyway.

Whoop Whoop! MCL!!

Last edited Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:32 pm | Scroll up

in Germination Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:45 pm

Quote: Melvan wrote in post #10
Most likely the rapid rooters are too wet. If you don't get a bit of drying going on, the cuttings have no need to reach out roots to search for moisture. Don't let them go dry as dust of course, but I would let them lose 1/2 their moisture before wetting again. And, you're doing it right, sit them down in the water and let them soak it up, but don't leave them sitting in the water after they're wet.

Also, when you take a cut, it's possible to make an air embolism around the actual cut that rooting gel only reinforces, switch to powder.

I've been using this method as long as I can remember, can't remember the last time I had a cut fail for any reason except my personal growing errors. http://www.greenthumbgirls.com/mels-grow...w-medium-wedges

Good luck

Nice write up Mel. I just bought 50 rapid rooters. I will try to switch to powder. I have been watering from the top and then just letting them drip the excess water out the bottom. So I will let them soak up once a day.

Whoop Whoop! MCL!!
Scroll up

in Germination Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:18 am
by 4u2sm0ke • Marijuana is good | 2.333 Posts | 10572 Points

Quote: Monoxide wrote in post #1
I can't figure out why my clones are not making it. Its been about 10 days and I don't see anything really happening. I have a heat mat, tray and dome, rapids rooters, and I use Clonex gel. I Cut my clones at an angle scratch the bottom of the stem to help the roots come through the cell walls. I spray my dome regularly. It does seem to dry up pretty quick. Maybe its in the watering? I usually just try to keep the rr's damp. Any help would be appreciated! I will post pics next.

IMHO....a few things are wrong here...first..lets talk about what is right...the cloneX or any rooting gel works great...rapid rooters....are they fresh?....I like to buy a new tray every time...but thats for lots clones taken...if ya only want a few than fill the empties with something..( I dont know blocks light from roots)......depending on the amount of clones taken depends on....amount of water given...when I do an entire tray....( all 50) i use 8oz rotting solution....

you never said what ya use for water/cloneing solution?

I have a thread somewhere that will help more..not sure where...if not here I will make a new.....

be patient and know that some strains just cant be clones..lol...( may be why they have clone only?)

take care and be safe

Light travels faster then sound....... This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Scroll up

in Germination Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:58 pm

Quote: 4u2sm0ke wrote in post #14
Quote: Monoxide wrote in post #1

IMHO....a few things are wrong here...first..lets talk about what is right...the cloneX or any rooting gel works great...rapid rooters....are they fresh?....I like to buy a new tray every time...but thats for lots clones taken...if ya only want a few than fill the empties with something..( I dont know blocks light from roots)......depending on the amount of clones taken depends on....amount of water given...when I do an entire tray....( all 50) i use 8oz rotting solution....

you never said what ya use for water/cloneing solution?

I have a thread somewhere that will help more..not sure where...if not here I will make a new.....

be patient and know that some strains just cant be clones..lol...( may be why they have clone only?)

take care and be safe

I just use 5.4 ph water. Then the 2nd time I use gh nutes 5.8 - 6 ph. I did buy some super thrive, but I haven't used it yet. That makes sense on filling the holes. I wondered if the tray was too big for the little amount of clones, I use. Its just the only one I have. I guess I should pick up a smaller one. The rapid rooters I can't say were fresh. They were last ones in the bag. so well over 6 months. I didn't think that would matter, if there job is to be a sponge pretty much.

Whoop Whoop! MCL!!
Scroll up

in Germination Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:48 pm

imo---stop feeding the clones---straight water only

Last edited Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:49 pm | Scroll up

in Germination Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:59 pm
by surfinc | 1.748 Posts | 6388 Points

My Larry OG cuttings take like 20 days or more to root....same with the Ghost.....keep at it...water only..IMO

<p></p>
Scroll up

in Germination Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:02 pm

I use this with great results...when I just use water my clones are yellow by time the have roots...

https://www.hydroponics.net/i/135706

take care and be safe

Light travels faster then sound....... This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Scroll up

in Germination Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:38 pm
by Timbrrline | 485 Posts | 1782 Points

A bit of great white eont hurt any.

Scroll up

in Germination Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:27 am

Here is what I did. Also put small pieces of cloth down in the holes.

Attached pictures:
image.jpg

Whoop Whoop! MCL!!
Scroll up

in Germination Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:42 am

ur in good shape man---quit messin' with them and patience will bring them clones to life

Scroll up

in Germination Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:25 pm

I'm going to get a smaller tray for my next go round. Easier to water.

Whoop Whoop! MCL!!
Scroll up

in Germination Mon May 04, 2015 8:47 am

I lost one of the clones and I am about to lose a second one, so I snipped another lower off my mother plant. After 5-6 hours it drooped over and it looks horrible. I have no clue what is going on. The temps in my room are around 75-80, could it be too high?

Whoop Whoop! MCL!!
Scroll up

in Germination Mon May 04, 2015 8:51 am

Here is a pic. Second from left is the new one. The other three have been since April 14.

Attached pictures:
image.jpg

Whoop Whoop! MCL!!
Scroll up

in Germination Mon May 04, 2015 10:03 am

IDK...Maybe the clips are to small?...I like to have atleast 3 node sites

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 10 Guests are online.

guest counter
Today were 360 (yesterday 605) guests online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 1231 topics and 21953 posts.

0 members have been online today: