RE: What could I be doing wrong?

in Germination Mon May 04, 2015 11:09 am
by orangesunshine | 803 Posts | 3182 Points

Quote: 4u2sm0ke wrote in post #25
IDK...Maybe the clips are to small?...I like to have atleast 3 node sites

cuts are not too small---whats the temperature in the room---what happened to your moving them to a space where they be getting more fresh air less direct light---how bout the plugs are they moist---is the water ur using fresh with oxygen not sitting around too long---do u see any alge forming on the plug---does the stem look slimry---if so u might try a bit of h202 in the next watering

Scroll up

in Germination Mon May 04, 2015 12:47 pm
by Monoxide | 649 Posts | 2595 Points

Quote: orangesunshine wrote in post #26
Quote: 4u2sm0ke wrote in post #25
IDK...Maybe the clips are to small?...I like to have atleast 3 node sites

cuts are not too small---whats the temperature in the room---what happened to your moving them to a space where they be getting more fresh air less direct light---how bout the plugs are they moist---is the water ur using fresh with oxygen not sitting around too long---do u see any alge forming on the plug---does the stem look slimry---if so u might try a bit of h202 in the next watering

The temps go up and down but normally I try to keep it between 70-80.

I do have fresh air going in the cabinet and a light fan breeze.

Oxygen in the water may be my issue. I have never used a pump and air stone for my waterings. I just ph the water and go from there. my water usually sits a week at a time in a closed 5 gallon bucket.

no algae forming. stem is a little slimy.

rapid rooters are moist, I water them once a day from underneath. I use a shot glass and hold it until it does pull anymore from the glass.

Whoop Whoop! MCL!!

Last edited Mon May 04, 2015 12:51 pm | Scroll up

in Germination Mon May 04, 2015 2:38 pm

oxygen in the water is just as important as oxygen in the air...you might consider adding hydrogen peroxide h2o2 to that bucket of water you're using

Scroll up

in Germination Mon May 04, 2015 8:12 pm

thanks! how much per gal? so, I take it I should invest in some sort of pump with air stone to drop down in my buckets?

Whoop Whoop! MCL!!
Scroll up

in Germination Tue May 05, 2015 2:04 am

Quote: Monoxide wrote in post #29
thanks! how much per gal? so, I take it I should invest in some sort of pump with air stone to drop down in my buckets?

i'm big on using what you got on hand---is there any reason why you are storing your water---if not---your tap water is likely good enough to use when you want to water and you don't need an airstone or pump---an airstone helps to evaporate chlorine---not sure if it gets out the floride---or what your ppm from the tap is---and am skeptical as to how much oxygen it actually adds to the water---in fact i have watched my water get a bit slimy with 3 airstones if it sits too long---my guess is it will work just fine if you just ph it right from the tap before using---i dont ph---household hydrogen peroxide i think is 1/4 cup per gal---u want to check that---industrial h202 calls for 4 ml per gal---i would flush those pucks with this new solution sooner than later

Scroll up

in Germination Wed May 06, 2015 12:50 am
by Timbrrline | 485 Posts | 1782 Points

Cooler temps. Good air. Lighting can be minimal. pH at 6.

Scroll up

in Germination Wed May 06, 2015 8:47 am

I lost the far right one. the next one over is still slumped over and the other two are fading to a light green, but still standing.

Whoop Whoop! MCL!!
Scroll up

in Germination Sun May 10, 2015 1:06 am
by Melvan | 492 Posts | 2234 Points

How's the rh in the space you're keeping the moms? If it's low, but then you put the cuts in a dome with high rh that you continually spray, you may just be stopping their transpiration, which they still need to do.

Maybe try rooting them minus the dome in the same space the mother is in, way less shock if you can root in the same environment they're use to. Or, you can try rooting minus the dome (I can't remember the last time I domed a cut, and I do pretty much 100%), especially if the air is dry in your mom space. If they look droopy, put the dome on, but I wouldn't spray it all the time like you said in your op, cuts still need to release their waste.

http://www.greenthumbgirls.com/
Scroll up

in Germination Sun May 10, 2015 9:31 am

Well, after I believe OS said to ditch the dome, I did. The original clones stayed standing up the whole time. Its been a month now and not a single root. Now the clones are dead. The rh in my cabinet is around 35% I tried to move them down on the floor outside of the cabinet with the heat mat and a 60w cfl for the last week and that just finished them off.

I read that some ppl put clay pellets in the bottom of their tray during cloning? Is that something I should have done? Should I just buy one of those air pumps with a stone and pucks to try to clone that way? I've seen amazing results from youtube with that setup. I'm bummed I lost my Critical Kush line, I will miss it.

Whoop Whoop! MCL!!
Scroll up

in Germination Sun May 10, 2015 9:34 am

I have a critical kush about 40 days into flower, can I still cut off of it and try to get it to root?

Whoop Whoop! MCL!!
Scroll up

in Germination Sun May 10, 2015 10:45 am

Quote: Monoxide wrote in post #34
Well, after I believe OS said to ditch the dome, I did. The original clones stayed standing up the whole time. Its been a month now and not a single root. Now the clones are dead. The rh in my cabinet is around 35% I tried to move them down on the floor outside of the cabinet with the heat mat and a 60w cfl for the last week and that just finished them off.

I read that some ppl put clay pellets in the bottom of their tray during cloning? Is that something I should have done? Should I just buy one of those air pumps with a stone and pucks to try to clone that way? I've seen amazing results from youtube with that setup. I'm bummed I lost my Critical Kush line, I will miss it.

peeps use clay pellets and or perlite under the pucks in case they get over watered the pucks are not sitting in stagnant water---just helps drainage and not necessary if you are not over watering---did you ever address the use of stored water in the bucket issue by adding h202 or using fresh water from the tap---everything else you were doing seemed to be dialed in pretty tight---i did suggest ditching the dome---but this is the 1st i see you post up RH is 35%---that might call for some misting or the vented dome---but is not why the clones didn't root---also 1st i read u using a heat mat---if the room temperature doesn't dip below 58f---you don't need it---imo your issue is still using water with no oxygen in it coupled with the use of the heat mat

Last edited Sun May 10, 2015 10:55 am | Scroll up

in Germination Sun May 10, 2015 10:47 am

Quote: Monoxide wrote in post #35
I have a critical kush about 40 days into flower, can I still cut off of it and try to get it to root?

won't know if she'll re-veg for you unless you try it---nothing ventured nothing gained

Scroll up

in Germination Sun May 10, 2015 3:49 pm

I just bought the heat mat because I wanted to move them out of the cabinet and off of the T5 they were sitting on. So the heat mat didn't come into play until like maybe a week ago. I immediately ditched the water in the jug I was using and even added some HP to it.

Ya, my RH goes up and down it is usually pretty dry in there, but the majorty its around the 30-35% mark. When my plants in veg need watered they RH goes down, but once watered the cabinet climbs up to 35%. I noticed when I pulled them out of the plug, one plug did have a little white stuff on it, not a lot but some.

Whoop Whoop! MCL!!
Scroll up

in Germination Sun May 10, 2015 4:45 pm

that white stuff was likely the H202---if so it tells tells me that you had pathogens in the medium and likely the h202 was too concentrated---use this chart for household h202

TO THIS AMOUNT OF WATER ADD THIS AMOUNT OF 3% HYDROGEN PEROXIDE --OR-- ADD THIS AMOUNT OF 35% HYDROGEN PEROXIDE
1 cup 1 and 1/2 teaspoons 7 to 10 drops
1 quart 2 tablespoons 1/2 teaspoon
1 gallon 1/2 cup 2 teaspoons
5 gallons 2 and 1/2 cups 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon
10 gallons 5 cups 6 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons
20 gallons 10 cups 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon
bathtub (aprox 25 to 35 gallons) * 12 to 17 cups 1 to 1.5 cups

Last edited Sun May 10, 2015 4:45 pm | Scroll up

in Germination Sun May 10, 2015 8:01 pm

I guess I put too much lol. I put 1 cup per gallon. but for clones. I just use a one gallon jug and keep what I don't use in it for next time. Should I be empting the jug every time and only fix enough for the daily watering.

Whoop Whoop! MCL!!
Scroll up

in Germination Mon May 11, 2015 10:07 am

Quote: Monoxide wrote in post #40
I guess I put too much lol. I put 1 cup per gallon. but for clones. I just use a one gallon jug and keep what I don't use in it for next time. Should I be empting the jug every time and only fix enough for the daily watering.

even at 35% RH---it doesn't seem likely that you are allowing them enough time between waterings---watering every day seems excessive---the pucks should be damp---not soaked

Scroll up

in Germination Mon May 11, 2015 11:37 am
by surfinc | 1.748 Posts | 6388 Points

Maybe spray the leaves or tops more and water less?

<p></p>
Scroll up

in Germination Mon May 11, 2015 9:04 pm

Yes, but the pucks were pretty dry. Not entirely dry, but dry enough to suck up 1/3 a shot of water. I just let them pull what they pull from a shot glass of water. What about drifting? I have always used 5.4 ph water.

Whoop Whoop! MCL!!
Scroll up

in Germination Tue May 12, 2015 4:42 pm

Alright. I started all fresh clones. I am trying two things this round. I took 2 lower branches and 2 from the tops and cut close to a node so the branch will continue to grow. I am still using clonex rooting gel and rapid rooters. PH is 5.4 and the RH once I took the dome and tray out of the cabinet is 54%.

Should I use the dome or no dome?

Whoop Whoop! MCL!!
Scroll up

in Germination Tue May 12, 2015 5:52 pm

I would run the dome...
I would raise PH to 6....
Never used a rapid rooter so can't speak to those.....
I would always cut from the lower branches as they are more ready to root either by age or chemical makeup from where they are located on the plant...based on a couple different perspectives I have read on the subject....

I am pretty sure 53% humidity is crispy dry for hanging buds and based on that would use dome to have more until rooted...

Well that's like a nickels worth...bit more than my usual 2 cents....

<p></p>
Scroll up

in Germination Tue May 12, 2015 9:13 pm

How can you keep 100% humidity without a dome? My dome gets dry within 2 hours.

Whoop Whoop! MCL!!

Last edited Tue May 12, 2015 9:26 pm | Scroll up

in Germination Tue May 12, 2015 9:58 pm
by Ston-loc | 376 Posts | 1601 Points

Even with the little vent open, if its wet in there, it should still stay pretty wet for a while. Shouldnt dry out that fast

Scroll up

in Germination Wed May 13, 2015 7:27 am

Yea, that is what I am thinking.

Whoop Whoop! MCL!!
Scroll up

in Germination Wed May 20, 2015 7:16 am

Ok, its been exactly a week since I started over on the clones. The dome seems to have stayed around 60% humidity. The plugs have stayed damp and I have only had to water them one time, which was yesterday. "besides the initial one" I opened the dome for about an hour every day. I checked them yesterday and I don't see anything happening yet, but I know its only been a week. Should I go ahead and take the dome off now?

This time around they are out of the cabinet, no heat mat and sitting under a 60w cfl bulb.

Whoop Whoop! MCL!!
Scroll up

in Germination Wed May 20, 2015 11:26 pm

About a week in is when I ditch the dome....
And start with the foliage sprays if it gets or looks dry...... Still just water for me at this point another week......

<p></p>
Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 5 Guests are online.

guest counter
Today were 61 (yesterday 588) guests online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 1231 topics and 21953 posts.

0 members have been online today: