Jiffy Pots in Soilless Growing

in Soils and Soil-less Growing Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:15 pm
by JackRyan420 | 288 Posts | 1272 Points

Is it OK to use Jiffy Pots in soilless growing (with chem nutes)?

I would want to transplant the plants into bigger pots later. As I understand it with Jiffy Pots, they are biodegradable and can simply be placed into a larger container of soil medium, and the roots will easily grow right through the degrading pots. Is this true? If so, they seem like the perfect containers to use until the final transplant in a grow cycle.

Thank you.

Scroll up

RE: Jiffy Pots in Soilless Growing

in Soils and Soil-less Growing Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:23 pm
by Grower13 | 513 Posts | 2013 Points

mine never degraded......... I felt they held back my roots....... if i use them now i tear them off when re potting to bigger pot.

#1 Rule......... tell no one

MP BHC.......0013
Scroll up

in Soils and Soil-less Growing Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:42 pm
by Melvan | 492 Posts | 2234 Points

No. Do not use them. I grow in ProMix BX, I have experience with the Jiffy Pots in the soil less medium, it does not go well. Peel them off before you transplant.

They cause water to be held closer to the main stem, right below the soil line, so easy to get rot. They mess with ph. Medium gets around them and makes it hard for roots to push through.

To put it simply Jiffy Pots are bad m'kay?

http://www.greenthumbgirls.com/
Scroll up

in Soils and Soil-less Growing Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:47 pm
by JackRyan420 | 288 Posts | 1272 Points

Quote: Melvan wrote in post #3
No. Do not use them. I grow in ProMix BX, I have experience with the Jiffy Pots in the soil less medium, it does not go well. Peel them off before you transplant.

They cause water to be held closer to the main stem, right below the soil line, so easy to get rot. They mess with ph. Medium gets around them and makes it hard for roots to push through.

To put it simply Jiffy Pots are bad m'kay?

m'kay. Thank you.

Scroll up

in Soils and Soil-less Growing Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:55 pm
by ozzydiodude • The Weird One | 2.474 Posts | 11542 Points

jiffy pots

Let's help each other, by spreading our knowledge of the plants we love

Cannabis grown with care grows into medicine somewhere!
Scroll up

in Soils and Soil-less Growing Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:52 am
by 4u2sm0ke • Marijuana is good | 2.333 Posts | 10572 Points

I never had luck with roots going through the pots....and in order to do so would require too much water to keep the pot moist...and that was not good...I do like the jiffey pellets..as long as they are good size..some are so small they dry out too quick...just my thoughts

Light travels faster then sound....... This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Scroll up

in Soils and Soil-less Growing Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:26 am
by umbra | 780 Posts | 4085 Points

the jiffy pots are meant to decompose out doors and in the ground. It takes longer than the flowering cycle, so you wouldn't see much for 4 or 5 months.

Scroll up

in Soils and Soil-less Growing Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:31 am
by LEFTHAND | 111 Posts | 418 Points

I'm with 4U use the pellets not the pots. And yes those "small" "short" ones are a pain in the arse IMO for cloning
My grandmother cuts holes in sides n bottoms of the pots when she used em indoors.
LH.

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 9 Guests are online.

guest counter
Today were 65 (yesterday 605) guests online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 1231 topics and 21953 posts.

0 members have been online today: