Maureen Dowd on pot candy bar: 'I became convinced that I had died'

in Marijuana in the News Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:42 pm
by Grower13 | 513 Posts | 2013 Points

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/natio...witter/9949991/

In Maureen Dowd's latest column for the New York Times, she describes her scary experience eating a pot candy bar while reporting on legalized marijuana in Colorado.

She sat in a Denver hotel room experimenting with the legalized edible, "nibbling" on some of the chocolate-flavored bar.

"For an hour, I felt nothing [...] But then I felt a scary shudder go through my body and brain. I barely made it from the desk to the bed, where I lay curled up in a hallucinatory state for the next eight hours," Dowd said.

She goes on to explain how her paranoia deepened, saying the high wore off "distressingly slowly."

"I had been convinced that I had died and no one was telling me," Dowd said.

A medical consultant told Dowd later that these types of candy bars should be consumed by inexperienced users by cutting them into 16 pieces. That recommendation, she said, was not on the packaging label.

Months after Colorado legalization took effect on Jan.1, Dowd cautions in her column that the state is "coming to grips with the darker side" of marijuana, especially when it comes to dealing with tourists and children.

Media organizations, including USA TODAY and the Times, have reported on kids getting sick from ingesting pot-infused edibles. The Rocky Mountain Poison Center reported a statistically significant increase in the number of parents calling the poison-control hotline to report their kids had consumed pot.

However state inspectors are conducting stings at pot stores to ensure they're not selling to minors, Julie Postlethwait, a spokeswoman for the state's marijuana enforcement division told USA TODAY. And regulations require pot edibles to be sold in child-resistant packaging.

#1 Rule......... tell no one

MP BHC.......0013
Scroll up

RE: Maureen Dowd on pot candy bar: 'I became convinced that I had died'

in Marijuana in the News Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:02 am
by surfinc | 1.748 Posts | 6388 Points

Light weight

<p></p>
Scroll up

in Marijuana in the News Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:15 pm
by Melvan | 492 Posts | 2234 Points

When I read this yesterday (it's been shared like crazy on every site in the world, lol) I thought right away, "what an idiot". Even experienced users can have problems with medibles, and this dumb woman was trying cannabis for the first time. When you're an adult, and you try something new, the mature person doesn't go all in immediately.

And of course she had paranoia, she was already worried about trying it to begin with, she harshed her buzz before she even bought the candy bar.

http://www.greenthumbgirls.com/
Scroll up

in Marijuana in the News Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:49 pm
by orangesunshine | 803 Posts | 3182 Points

Quote: Melvan wrote in post #3
When I read this yesterday (it's been shared like crazy on every site in the world, lol) I thought right away, "what an idiot". Even experienced users can have problems with medibles, and this dumb woman was trying cannabis for the first time. When you're an adult, and you try something new, the mature person doesn't go all in immediately.

And of course she had paranoia, she was already worried about trying it to begin with, she harshed her buzz before she even bought the candy bar.

way to go Mel---spoken like a true professional

Scroll up

in Marijuana in the News Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:38 pm
by Ston-loc | 376 Posts | 1601 Points

Seriously! hahahaha... I recently bought a Kiva chocolate bar from the club a few weeks ago. I'm a daily smoker, and only ate a small piece snapped off. DUDE, was high as a mofo! Out at a restaraunt with my wife. She kept making the grownups on peanuts whaa whaa whaa noises to mess with me. Swear to god i was in tears crying laughing. That being said, I knew to roll with it, and handled the situation. Could totally see a non smoker eating a whole candy bar and freaking out. And Kiva bars are shown dosage on the package, broken down in like 5 or 8 pieces

Scroll up

in Marijuana in the News Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:44 pm
by Cubby | 1.267 Posts | 4795 Points

It now seems she was told NOT to eat the whole thing at once. She had a 45 minuet tour where the director of 420 Tours told her about the dosage and effects of edibles. The New York Times has a history of one sided drug stories, where their writers always use a substance to the extreme, then write a negative story about it.

MarP Class of 2007

BHC #6 7/8

Scroll up

in Marijuana in the News Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:46 am
by P J | 72 Posts | 488 Points

is as does.

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 15 Guests are online.

guest counter
Today were 313 (yesterday 460) guests online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 1231 topics and 21953 posts.

0 members have been online today: