Super-Simple cloning

in Beginners Starting out Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:01 pm
by MR1 | 703 Posts | 2417 Points

This is from MP, posted by Ozzy.

In the April 2009 "High Times" a article titled "super-simple cloning" by Jef Tek gave this way to clone
Fill 20 oz cup with Pro-Mix HP or any other peat-based soilless mix(like sam's Club potting soil)Holes in the bottom of the cup are up to you (I cut holes in my cups)
rooting hormone of your choice(I used Schultz TakeRoot)
Cut a long-stemmed clone from your mother plant. take a whole lower branch-these are chronlogically the oldest and will root the fastest. trim off all the lowerbranches on a steam at least 6 inches long but preferably 9 inches or longer.As long as you have a growing top and two fan leaves the clone will prosper.
Use a pencil to make a hole in the soil to insert the cutting after you have dipped it in rooting hormone.
Simply water it with 4 oz of 1/2 strength vegetative ferts water each cup evenly and then place it a few inches beneath a fluorescent light.
In a week or two the cutting(clone) will have started to root. Fertilize the plants lightly, when theystart to grow bigger, you can give them a full strength fertilization before transplanting.
If you cut or drill holes you can water from the bottom for even better root growth.
No Humidity Domes are needed with a minimum of 5 inches of stem touching moist soil, the little plant will just about continue growing while busting roots. the plant is still pulling moisture from the stem so the leaves aren't trying to suck water from the air(thereby delaying proper root formation)

15 days ago I took these 4 cutting to just try this way all 4 rooted That does make it a easy way to clone just make sure the soil stays moist.
Pictures 5 & 6 are of the root as they looked today when I checked them They are ready to transplant this week some time

Scroll up

RE: Super-Simple cloning

in Beginners Starting out Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:09 pm

Ozzy , I am trying out this method for cloning, do I have to use 1/2 strength veg ferts or will plain water work? I just want to double check. I am using MG seed starter .

Last edited Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:10 pm | Scroll up

in Beginners Starting out Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:09 pm
by ozzydiodude • The Weird One | 2.474 Posts | 11542 Points

plan water works the best til you see roots. just keep the soil moist and the roots will show in 10 days most the time I have saw them in 4 days but most the time 10 to 4 days is window.

this is one thread I wish I would have copied the whole thing to here

Let's help each other, by spreading our knowledge of the plants we love

Cannabis grown with care grows into medicine somewhere!

Last edited Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:12 pm | Scroll up

in Beginners Starting out Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:39 pm

Thanks Ozzy , I will use plain water. This should elliminate the transplanting into dirt step since they are already in dirt.

Scroll up

in Beginners Starting out Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:46 am
by Melvan | 492 Posts | 2234 Points

My way of using Oasis Grow Medium wedges is just about as simple, and saves space as the cuts only take up the room of a 6 spot seed starting tray. But rooting to ProMix is for sure a #1 back up for me. http://www.greenthumbgirls.com/mels-grow...w-medium-wedges

http://www.greenthumbgirls.com/
Scroll up

in Beginners Starting out Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:08 am
by surfinc | 1.748 Posts | 6388 Points

Being a rock wool guy it's always been cut dip in clonex...stick in wet mini cube...try not to forget to label....and there it is...on side lighting of veg...easy peasy...

<p></p>
Scroll up

in Beginners Starting out Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:21 pm

Surf, I think this one will be good for me because I am in dirt and I think it might save a little time not having to worry about recovery time from transplanting.

Scroll up

in Beginners Starting out Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:35 pm
by LEFTHAND | 111 Posts | 418 Points

Very nice.
I've always went peat pellets n ziplock bags. Then I built n ez cloner. Like it much better clones come out looking just as green if not greener then going in. Drop n check in a wk
Fit 5-8 in a med zip freezer bag n row em pretty tight in a seedling tray. ;).
With Ozz on the plain water. I came across this on icmag n since running gh3 I have tried n do use this in the bucket for cloning.
Rooting formula. (Per gal)
2ml Micro
3ml Bloom
.3ml Super Thrive
.05ml ( A drop ) Clorox
PH- 6.0
LH.

Last edited Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:36 pm | Scroll up

in Beginners Starting out Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:41 pm

I see a lot of this on the boards. All around
Recovery time n xplanting. Lol why ??
I don't find this unless a plant has ph or nute probs or has been root pruned to slow at all after xplanting
But find them to explode more then anything after an xplant.
Just a curious question I guess.
LH.

Scroll up

in Beginners Starting out Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:22 pm

Lefthand, I don't normally have problems with transplant shock, this just eliminates one step, from the cups they go into the 1 gallon Geo pots I am trying out. I have done the zip lock bag, rock wool, rapid rooters, have a bubbler going right now, they all worked. Is the Clorox for disinfecting?

Scroll up

in Beginners Starting out Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:43 pm

Very true. Also can go right into 1gal as a rooted clone. Then again all I ends on amount of plants space n issue too IMO
Ohhh nice. My hydro store just ordered some in for me to test out. Do beleive they were geo pots.
Yes I beleive so on the Clorox. It's such a small amount that I just start with water from the tap.
I never did have luck with the bubble cloner one good run then hit n miss so went to zip lock bags.
Me n rw don't mix. Lol not for cloning any how.
LH.

Last edited Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:46 pm | Scroll up

in Beginners Starting out Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:26 pm

After just receiving some clones in the Oasis wedges I gotta say I'll be trying them if I go hydro

Scroll up

in Beginners Starting out Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:22 pm

4 days, so far I have not misted them, no dome, that is one less thing I have to remember.

Scroll up

in Beginners Starting out Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:13 am

as long as the soil mix stays moist you'll not have any problems

Scroll up

in Beginners Starting out Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:37 pm

I have a root, this is 7 days. I am sure the roots started earlier though. So far so good. It is showing on one of the Satori.

Scroll up

in Beginners Starting out Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:14 pm

14 days, they all have roots similar to one pictured, the 2 on the left are out of the bubble cloner, they still need some time to show roots through the dirt. Conclusion , out of all the cloning methods I have used this one saves me time plus a 100% success rate this time around.

Scroll up

in Beginners Starting out Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:51 am

The last round all made it and are now flowering. Using the same method again except I have one with perlite instead of MG seed starter mix. If it works it might be a good technique for hydro growers. They will stay uncovered. See if I get roots in 7 days like last time.

Attached pictures:
P1000039 (800x600).jpg

Last edited Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:53 am | Scroll up

in Beginners Starting out Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:02 am

Had bad luck with this round of clones ,none rooted. I can only say it was probably from using my dehumidifier water, that is the only thing I did different . I learnt my lesson, popping seeds I guess.

Scroll up

in Beginners Starting out Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:44 am
by Monoxide | 649 Posts | 2595 Points

well, this is just simple as can be. AND it works!!! To hell with the dome and tray. This method worked faster and you don't need a separate light for it. I just set them below my already veg'ing plants and about 5 days later, i can see stabalization and roots starting.

Whoop Whoop! MCL!!
Scroll up

in Beginners Starting out Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:59 pm
by Monoxide | 649 Posts | 2595 Points

I saved my UOG by cutting a clone off of a flowering plant. It has taken root and is in veg now. As you can see in the pic, the nodes were stacking really nicely. Do I need to cut all of that off now or just let it grow out and lollipop it later?

Attached pictures:
image.jpg

Whoop Whoop! MCL!!
Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 10 Guests are online.

guest counter
Today were 186 (yesterday 262) guests online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 1231 topics and 21953 posts.

0 members have been online today: