Topping in flower??

in Advanced Growing Techniques Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:40 pm
by ross | 51 Posts | 190 Points

I'm growing plants from seed right now and one clone I am starting flower tomorrow and haven't trained them at all I was wondering if I could top like the first week of flower? They haven't bushed the way I was hoping. Whenever I train it's always LST and only top when it's accidental from supercropping. But when I grow from seed it's hard to supercrop because the stalks are so thick. I usually don't grow from seed and the clones are easier to train so I've never topped in flower.

Herb is the healing of a nation, alcohol is the destruction.” - Robert Nesta Marley
Scroll up

RE: Topping in flower??

in Advanced Growing Techniques Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:39 pm
by Vegs | 17 Posts | 92 Points

That may be a little tricky unless the strain is known to stretch a bit when in flower. Again, that still may not be a good idea. Not that I am an expert, but I stop topping before switching into flowering because I want nice solid kolas when possible.

I always grow from seed and try to prune each cycle at least once as well as try to do some form of LST before going into flower to increase yields and maximize on vertical space. Currently, my grow is vertically challenged. =)

Last edited Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:41 pm | Scroll up

in Advanced Growing Techniques Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:01 pm
by Rosebud | 499 Posts | 2113 Points

Can you top it and veg for longer? It would be a lot of stress on the plant to top it and put in flower at the same time. I wouldn't do it. Other's will chime in .... Green mojo to you!

Scroll up

in Advanced Growing Techniques Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:07 pm
by ozzydiodude • The Weird One | 2.474 Posts | 11542 Points

I like to give the plants at least 7 days to recover before flipping after topping .

Let's help each other, by spreading our knowledge of the plants we love

Cannabis grown with care grows into medicine somewhere!
Scroll up

in Advanced Growing Techniques Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:39 pm
by orangesunshine | 803 Posts | 3182 Points

I've topped many a plant because of height restrictions and flipped them right imto flower with no repercussions

Scroll up

in Advanced Growing Techniques Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:46 pm
by ross | 51 Posts | 190 Points

Well they were bendy enough actually to tie the tops down so I did that instead. I think I'm going to give the a day or two more of 24 then flip. Thanks for the thoughts I figured many would warm against topping so late

Herb is the healing of a nation, alcohol is the destruction.” - Robert Nesta Marley
Scroll up

in Advanced Growing Techniques Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:18 pm
by P J | 72 Posts | 488 Points

So long as your trimming is all done within the first two weeks of flower you should be fine. After that, the plant with throw off the hormone Auxin which will set the plant back due to it trying to mend and repair taking away from flowering hormones. The plant will still flower just fine, it will only delay it's overall finishing time.

Scroll up

in Advanced Growing Techniques Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:25 pm
by orangesunshine | 803 Posts | 3182 Points

Quote: ross wrote in post #6
Well they were bendy enough actually to tie the tops down so I did that instead. I think I'm going to give the a day or two more of 24 then flip. Thanks for the thoughts I figured many would warm against topping so late

topping late ??? late in what---veg??? no comprende late??? no difference when u top while u are in control of the veg/flowering periods really only matters if u be running autos---most peeps top for additional growth---some for other reasons---if not---topping can be done at any time

i believe the others chiming in above are saying they would give their plant some recovery time after topping and before flipping the lights---that's it---i said not to worry u can top and flip with no recovery time---with good genetics there will be no hermies from the stress---in fact a common rotation is to take clones and thin lowers right before you flip to 12/12---either way---we are playing with a very hardy plant---don't worry---she will recover and treat u well---to each their own---this is a style thang kinda similar to---do u veg for 24 hrs or 18 cause its closer to the natural light cycle

and i ask to please correct me if i am mistaken---my working definition of bending and even tying down is Low Stress Training---not too sure if this is what most think of when they say that's what they're accustomed to doing or is it something else---why u looking into "topping late" for anyways"???

Scroll up

in Advanced Growing Techniques Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:36 am
by 4u2sm0ke • Marijuana is good | 2.333 Posts | 10572 Points

Ive had some Top themselfs after stretch in flower by Burning top with light...and it seems to be doing fine...bending it over is best I think...

mojo your way ross

Light travels faster then sound....... This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 6 Guests are online.

guest counter
Today were 433 (yesterday 224) guests online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 1231 topics and 21953 posts.

0 members have been online today: