Ebb & Flow

in Hydroponics Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:19 pm
by The Hemp Goddess | 281 Posts | 1083 Points

This is a small ebb and flow that I made for the 32" x 32" tent that I have. I pretty much went from the DIYs that are here and used what I had. Thanks! Fortunately, I had everything I needed, but was short on medium. I decided to add an air pump and air stones to the res. The parts I used on this unit were:

18" x 18" x 6" tray
10 gal tote
160 gph water pump and plastic tubing
Dual outlet air pump, air stones, and plastic tubing
Timer

Attached pictures:
misc 015.JPG

Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History--Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Scroll up

RE: Ebb & Flow

in Hydroponics Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:28 pm

I had been using 2 150 HPS in cool tubes and a 2' PLL T5. There really wasn't enough room for all those lights and reflectors. I had a high bay 400W MH , an empty ballast box, and an air cooled reflector that I wasn't using. So, new light time. Took the high bay fixture apart, changed out the ballast to hood cord on the ballast box and installed and secured the ballast in the box. Temps are good running around 75. I am flooding every 4 hours. So far, so good.

Attached pictures:
misc 012.JPG
misc 014.JPG

Scroll up

in Hydroponics Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:31 pm

LOL--anyone know why the first pic is not showing up on the post above, but is just listed as a JPG?

Scroll up

in Hydroponics Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:49 pm
by 4u2sm0ke • Marijuana is good | 2.333 Posts | 10572 Points

I see pictures....looking good. thanks for sharing

Light travels faster then sound....... This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Scroll up

in Hydroponics Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:51 pm

Didn't come up that way at first. Thanks 4u.

Scroll up

in Hydroponics Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:54 pm
by Weedhopper | 1.210 Posts | 4031 Points

You are the DIY Queen,,you should have your on show. And i mean that with much respect

We are a form of Energy and Energy never dies,,IT JUST CHANGES FORMS. Im gonna be Dirt,,your gonna be POO. LOL

Last edited Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:55 pm | Scroll up

in Hydroponics Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:44 am

Thank you Weedhopper, that is the way I took it. I get a lot of satisfaction being able to take things I already have and make something useful out of them.

Scroll up

in Hydroponics Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:51 am
by Dr Green Fang | 142 Posts | 864 Points

Looking good THG! :)

Scroll up

in Hydroponics Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:04 pm

DGF, are you running any ebb and flow?

Scroll up

in Hydroponics Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:30 pm

Technically yes I believe I am. I'm running a system quite like Hushpuppy does.

- Hydroton surrounds 1gal coco + perlite "core" (from vegging in 1 gal pot) set in 10" mesh pot (the kind for the top of 5gal buckets)
- Four 18 gal totes, with holes cut in the middle holding mesh pots. Each tote has 4" cylindrical air stone in it (DWC)
- One 35 gal main res tote interconnected with 1" tubing between the other 4 that has a pump on it (Under Current)
- Pump set in main res runs 3/4" to dispersion heads (drip heads) with small lines running to each plant and staked into the top. Timed to come on 15 mins a time, every 3 hours (Ebb / Flo)

:)

Last edited Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:30 pm | Scroll up

in Hydroponics Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:19 pm
by Growdude | 11 Posts | 67 Points

Quote: Dr Green Fang wrote in post #10
Technically yes I believe I am.
- Hydroton surrounds 1gal coco + perlite "core" (from vegging in 1 gal pot) set in 10" mesh pot (the kind for the top of 5gal buckets)
- Four 18 gal totes, with holes cut in the middle holding mesh pots. Each tote has 4" cylindrical air stone in it (DWC)
- One 35 gal main res tote interconnected with 1" tubing between the other 4 that has a pump on it (Under Current)
- Pump set in main res runs 3/4" to dispersion heads (drip heads) with small lines running to each plant and staked into the top. Timed to come on 15 mins a time, every 3 hours (Ebb / Flo)

:)

Ebb and flo is flood and drain.
You look to be running a modified drip system.

Scroll up

in Hydroponics Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:30 pm

Oh, Ebb and Flo is considered Flood and Drain? I was under the impression that Ebb and Flo was a drip system ... Whoops :)

I used to do flood n drain when I first started. Currently, my drip is a straight up flo, with a 340 GPH pump running to 8 lines (2 lines to each). It floods the plants core and drips massively out the bottom, into the totes below.

Last edited Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:32 pm | Scroll up

in Hydroponics Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:05 pm
by JackRyan420 | 288 Posts | 1272 Points

Quote: The Hemp Goddess wrote in post #1
This is a small ebb and flow that I made for the 32" x 32" tent that I have. I pretty much went from the DIYs that are here and used what I had. Thanks! Fortunately, I had everything I needed, but was short on medium. I decided to add an air pump and air stones to the res. The parts I used on this unit were:

18" x 18" x 6" tray
10 gal tote
160 gph water pump and plastic tubing
Dual outlet air pump, air stones, and plastic tubing
Timer

This great THG. I'm contemplating turning one of my 2 grow closets into a Flood & Drain setup.

I have a question. What is the value in aerating the nute solution in the reservoir? I was hoping the draining process itself would sufficiently draw in air (oxygen) so as to eliminate the need to oxygenate the nutrient solution in the reservoir.

DWC demands the inclusion of oxygenating the reservoir. But Flood & Drain? Why?

I'm just wondering. Not interrogating. Thanks.

Last edited Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:07 pm | Scroll up

in Hydroponics Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:47 am

LOL--I ask questions like that of people all the time--I don't feel it is interrogation at all, just clarification.

The pump only runs once every 6 hours. So, there is about 5-1/2 hours where the draining process is not happening and the water in the tote is without oxygenation. While it may not be necessary, I just don't like my res water sitting without moving for long periods. Since I run primarily DWC, I always have an air pump going.

Scroll up

in Hydroponics Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:02 am
by Growdude | 11 Posts | 67 Points

Quote: The Hemp Goddess wrote in post #14
LOL--I ask questions like that of people all the time--I don't feel it is interrogation at all, just clarification.

The pump only runs once every 6 hours. So, there is about 5-1/2 hours where the draining process is not happening and the water in the tote is without oxygenation. While it may not be necessary, I just don't like my res water sitting without moving for long periods. Since I run primarily DWC, I always have an air pump going.

While there is no harm, it is not necessary, The roots are what need O2 not so much your rez, The action of the water leaving the pots is what pulls O2 in from the top as water exits the bottom.
This is why a fast drain is best.

Scroll up

in Hydroponics Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:20 am
by JackRyan420 | 288 Posts | 1272 Points

I was wondering if the active airstones in the bottom of the res might help keep the nute solution mixed thoroughly in between waterings?

Scroll up

in Hydroponics Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:43 am
by ozzydiodude • The Weird One | 2.474 Posts | 11542 Points

Keeping the water aerated is what helps keep the anaerobic bacteria from growing in the rez and promotes aerobic bacteria. even though you may be using chemical nutes there are still bacteria and fungus growing in small groups on the roots that you want alive and the better the water is oxygenated the better for the microherd.

Let's help each other, by spreading our knowledge of the plants we love

Cannabis grown with care grows into medicine somewhere!
Scroll up

in Hydroponics Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:59 am
by 4u2sm0ke • Marijuana is good | 2.333 Posts | 10572 Points

Bumping for updates

Light travels faster then sound....... This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 11 Guests are online.

guest counter
Today were 437 (yesterday 415) guests online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 1231 topics and 21953 posts.

0 members have been online today: