germinating with a paper towel

in Germination Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:55 pm
by toadley stoned | 100 Posts | 540 Points

using the paper towel method,, is best for me. have no problem,, with getting the seeds to germinated

Scroll up

RE: germinating with a paper towel

in Germination Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:04 pm
by 4u2sm0ke • Marijuana is good | 2.333 Posts | 10572 Points

only way I germ

THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Scroll up

in Germination Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:22 pm
by Weedhopper | 1.210 Posts | 4031 Points

Works great,,course I like going straight into dirt sometimes to.

Scroll up

in Germination Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:46 pm
by WeatherMan | 77 Posts | 146 Points

Have still never done the "paper towel" method....

Straight into dirt has always been my preferred method, but I have recently really been satisfied with my 100% success rate with using small rock wool cubes. Obviously not a new process by any means, but I really really like using the rock wool.

Mandala Seeds has a great FAQ section, and within those pages, they discuss the NEGATIVES of using the "paper towel" method,....it's a good read and has always deterred me from ever trying the method.

I know the paper towel method does work, but why would anyone do this when it creates an "Extra" step in having to eventually plant the little sprout anyway ? ? ?

peace :)

Thomas Jefferson retirement papers:
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."
Scroll up

in Germination Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:40 pm
by The Hemp Goddess | 281 Posts | 1083 Points

Not only is it n extra step, but every time you handle a seed that has popped, you are risking breaking the root or passing pathogens to the seed. The only time I every use the paper towel method is if the seeds are old and dehydrated. If I am growing in soil, I plant right in the dirt. If I am running hydro, I use rapid rooters.

Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History--Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Scroll up

in Germination Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:55 pm

I like rapid Rooters to THG. Ive never had a problem using them.

Scroll up

in Germination Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:58 pm
by mr rogers | 28 Posts | 50 Points

paper towels are for spills. i plant into soil like a real gardener.

Scroll up

in Germination Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:00 pm

Nice attatude with your first post Mr Rogers

nice

THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Scroll up

in Germination Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:07 pm

Yea,,not cool Bro. Not everybody that comes on here are experienced growers. Allot of new Peeps are looking for help without being put down.

Scroll up

in Germination Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:09 pm
by orangesunshine | 803 Posts | 3182 Points

no more paper towels here---dried out waaaay too many in my time---as pointed out they are for spills---lol---i drop in a glass of water cause i like to see whats going on and like to point the tail down when she hatches---so neither covering in paper towel or directly in soil works for me---thanx

Scroll up

in Germination Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:14 pm

I honestly have never lost a seed to the Paper towel method,,because of the Paper towel or my handling,,,,,I just dont care for it myself anymore because it is an extra step and the older I get the less steps I wanna take. LOL
I like directly into soil or like THG,,Rapid rooters.

Last edited Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:15 pm | Scroll up

in Germination Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:31 pm

moist soil, bottom heat. so easy a cave man can do it. idk how the whole paper towel thing even came about. probably somebody who just wants to make things difficult. the rest as they say...is history:)

"Impossible is not a declaration. Its a dare." Muhammad Ali
Scroll up

in Germination Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:24 pm

Paper towel was come abut way before sprouting MJ....Most experience Farmers still like to be sure they have a viable seed to work with....and I too never lost do to towel or my Handeling...

THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Scroll up

in Germination Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:37 pm

i read in one of the MJ Bibles,, that putt something like sand paper in a match box n add the seeds n close the box. that when ya shake it it get the seeds to b able to soak in the water, when ya put the seeds in water , after taken the seeds out of the box

Scroll up

in Germination Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:41 pm
by ozzydiodude • The Weird One | 2.474 Posts | 11542 Points

Quote: toadley stoned wrote in post #14
i read in one of the MJ Bibles,, that putt something like sand paper in a match box n add the seeds n close the box. that when ya shake it it get the seeds to b able to soak in the water, when ya put the seeds in water , after taken the seeds out of the box

Some ppl recommend "scuffing older seeds in the method. I have used it a few times with seeds other said needed a little help, when germinating

Let's help each other, by spreading our knowledge of the plants we love

Cannabis grown with care grows into medicine somewhere!
Scroll up

in Germination Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:43 pm

scuffing is what i meant,, thanks Ozzy

Scroll up

in Germination Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:54 pm
by Rosebud | 499 Posts | 2113 Points

i sow directly in the soil. I am a gardener. To be real honest I think anything else is just man wanting to manipulate the seed. They feel more involved like they are helping. In my opinion, the are not.

Scroll up

in Germination Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:54 pm

I honestly dont remember (smoked to much weed) how I learned the paper towel method. Not sure why I even learned it cause i love gardening and have all my life,,and never did I germanate my Veggies that way. i puttem in the soil and watered. Bet I learned it from a freaken Pot Head like me,,who was high as *** messen around with some beans,,right,,LOL

Scroll up

in Germination Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:17 pm

Quote: ozzydiodude wrote in post #15
Quote: toadley stoned wrote in post #14

Some ppl recommend "scuffing older seeds in the method. I have used it a few times with seeds other said needed a little help, when germinating

aka scarifying.

"Impossible is not a declaration. Its a dare." Muhammad Ali
Scroll up

in Germination Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:58 pm
by Kaotik | 64 Posts | 260 Points

paper towel guy here too
just nice to know.. i know when 4 seeds have cracked in paper towel; i need 4 pots and will have 4 plants.
if i sow to dirt, that knowing turns to expecting and hoping. (i think breaking/killing is quite tough to do and kinda BS honestly. think i could count on 1 hand how many seeds haven't came up in dirt that popped in paper towel, in 15 years *actually, i think it's only 1, but that sounds like BS, so i'll say handful )

i assume this came about when someone had a bunch of seeds to pop, and wanted to be sure to plant only the viable ones. y'all hit on saving work/time, this saves much time in a larger run; not potting/emptying pots for dud seeds

to each his own, i just hate when people frown on certain methods or preach there's only 1 correct way.

Last edited Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:59 pm | Scroll up

in Germination Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:28 pm

The right method,,is the one that Works for you.

Scroll up

in Germination Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:19 pm
by Cubby | 1.267 Posts | 4795 Points

I drop seed into a prepared 2"x2" rockwool cube, put it in a tray under a humidity dome with a heat matt, and that's it. If they're going outside in dirt then I just start them in dirt.

MarP Class of 2007

BHC #6 7/8
Scroll up

in Germination Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:28 pm
by pcduck (deleted)

I have done it many different ways. But I enjoy doing it the way Mother Nature intended.

But I agree with WeedHopper, Whatever method that works best for the grower is the best way

Obtinuit vermis?

Site Rules
Scroll up

in Germination Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:33 pm
by sin inc | 101 Posts | 934 Points

well i guess for me i used to use the jiffy pellets but they only give a 40 /60 return . i have now moved to the paper towel and i have a much better rate. i say find what work for u

Scroll up

in Germination Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:47 pm
by WeatherMan | 77 Posts | 146 Points

Quote: Weedhopper wrote in post #21
The right method,,is the one that Works for you.

perfectly put

Thomas Jefferson retirement papers:
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."
Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 36 Guests are online.

guest counter
Today were 220 (yesterday 814) guests online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 1231 topics and 21953 posts.

0 members have been online today: