Lollipopping

in Advanced Growing Techniques Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:06 am
by Monoxide | 649 Posts | 2595 Points

I am learning to lollipop and had some questions. I have seen where most ppl say to trim off the lower 1/3 of the plant. Now does this mean cut all the branches, even if there long enough to have buds? or trim off the lower limbs on the branches and leave the top of the branch. Here is a pic of my Kali-47. Let me know what you think.

Attached pictures:
image.jpg

Whoop Whoop! MCL!!
Scroll up

RE: Lollipopping

in Advanced Growing Techniques Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:51 am
by LEFTHAND | 111 Posts | 418 Points

Both. Lol.

Pending on size one leaves 4-6-8 "mains" topped n then it begins.
Once u start pinching bending topping bottom n sides will take off 2-3 wks b4 the flip I start to clean what I know is waste.
Then 1-2 wks into flower I keep up with pinching n bending n finish cleaning up bottoms.
But generally I cut 2-6 branches off bottom. Strain pending too. If there left trim off all scrap. Some of my strains do better leaving all the branches n just cleaning bottoms up. Takes few runs to get the feel for how much to leave to take n what not.

Personally I would take the last 2 branches off. Top it down a lil not too much. N wait for it to start to grow again. Then start pinching n bending any taler branches. Masking tape works wonders If needed. Also don't hurt to go around n just pinch branches "mains" few knots in em toughen em up. Fer the load
LH.

Last edited Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:55 am | Scroll up

in Advanced Growing Techniques Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:09 am
by BudGrower | 547 Posts | 1925 Points

lolipoping !!? u should started cleaning the plant earlier than this stage in order not to lose any branches holding nugs

Scroll up

in Advanced Growing Techniques Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:11 am
by BudGrower | 547 Posts | 1925 Points

plus it looks fine doesnt need any trimming

Scroll up

in Advanced Growing Techniques Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:50 am
by Monoxide | 649 Posts | 2595 Points

Quote: BudGrower wrote in post #3
lolipoping !!? u should started cleaning the plant earlier than this stage in order not to lose any branches holding nugs

So I should be cutting off branches at the bottom while its a small plant? I figured all that under growth helps get the plant big and strong. I thought that after she is tall enough, then start hacking at it. To me at least cutting at the plant in earlier stages may hurt it, am I wrong?

Whoop Whoop! MCL!!
Scroll up

in Advanced Growing Techniques Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:49 am
by Cubby | 1.267 Posts | 4795 Points

Quote: Monoxide wrote in post #5

So I should be cutting off branches at the bottom while its a small plant? I figured all that under growth helps get the plant big and strong. I thought that after she is tall enough, then start hacking at it. To me at least cutting at the plant in earlier stages may hurt it, am I wrong?

You are right. I lollipop, usually 2 weeks, before flipping to 12/12. All lollipopping does is get rid of undergrowth that will never amount to anything but popcorn. It directs the plants energy to the buds that are utilizing the light. Removing the bottom 1/3 of plant material improves top growth and opens the bottom for air movement. This isn't necessary out doors because the suns rays penetrate the growth much better than a indoor light ever could.

MarP Class of 2007

BHC #6 7/8

Scroll up

in Advanced Growing Techniques Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:07 pm
by Ston-loc | 376 Posts | 1601 Points

Quote: Cubby wrote in post #6
Quote: Monoxide wrote in post #5

This isn't necessary out doors because the suns rays penetrate the growth much better than a indoor light ever could.

False on the outdoor comment. I find trimming off the bottom stuff to definitely help lessen pm and budrot. Then again I severely lst and have fatty bushes. Getting air flow into the middle of a six foot diameter tree is critical

Scroll up

in Advanced Growing Techniques Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:35 pm
by Drfting07 | 264 Posts | 1092 Points

Agreed. Outdoors it is a must to clean the underside IMO. Air movement keep down on the PM/rot.

Ston,I keep my girls a little more lanky and go for sativas more so than indicas for just this reason.

Here humidity is usually 60+ and the dew point comes up to 70-75 degrees. That means wet buds in the morning.

Ive had PM for years. If i keep it in check it doesnt turn to budrot. I just do everything i can in the meantime.

"Never Kick a Fresh Turd on a Hot Day" Harry S. Truman
Feed the Soil, Not the Plant - Umbra
Scroll up

in Advanced Growing Techniques Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:23 pm
by Weedhopper | 1.210 Posts | 4031 Points

I do that to almost all my plants,,including my Veggies in my Garden. I keep the bottom 8 to 10 inches clean below my plants outside.

We all are a form of Energy,,, and Energy never dies,,IT CHANGES FORMS. Im gonna be Dirt,,your gonna be POO. LOL
Scroll up