Taking a picture in HPS lighting and editing

in things you need to know Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:12 am
by Dr Green Fang | 142 Posts | 864 Points

Here's a post I did on another forum. Copying here for this site.

*Just noticed, this is for a more "intricate" reading. I'm very stoned, so disclaimer has been done*

Just wanted to give you all a little peak into my photography world. A lot of you have mentioned you like my photography etc, and I just wanted to show you what I have to work with as a starting image in HPS lighting. I'm sure you're all familiar with that overly yellow, blown out, insanely over exposed shot of a flowering bud in hps. Well, most of that can be sorted with some good filters and post editing.

As for filters, there's little lens attachments you can get for your Digital SLR camera that don't allow certain spectrum's to pass through etc. I still need to get a big filter set, and some new lens'. Anyways...

Most of the ability to snap a shot in the tent during flowering stems from my post editing in a program called "Lightroom 4." This is an extremely powerful (and some-what complicated) piece of real photo, editing software. It's especially made for editing the .RAW format that a Digital SLR is famous for taking. I'm taking images with my Canon EoS T3 in RAW format, then uploading them to Lightroom 4 for post editing, before I export them as .JPG no larger than 1200x800 and also no larger than 488 kilobytes.

This allows me to adjust the exposure, contrast, B&W, clarity, color spectrum etc etc etc (I could go on!) Now, when you get a shot in natural light, or proper flash being bounced off a ceiling with the right backdrop.. you can produce pretty epic shots even with an iPhone. But post editing is just amazing to help the process. NO, it's not cheating.. I'm not in Photoshop using brushes to touch up areas or make it like things were / weren't there... all Lightroom does is allow me to manipulate the RAW shot that was taken. It allows me to subtract yellow spectrum for blue, and make the picture more clear, sharpening how it looks!

Here's an example. The yellow picture is original, un-edited.. and the next.. well.. speaks for itself.

What I'm getting at, is know your limits (1200 x 800 and 488k .JPG) and know what you can do within those limits. Now what I have to say isn't just for anyone with a Powershot, or super easy shot 3000... granted you can post edit them too.... it's more for people using "better than low end" cameras.

I, myself, have an entry level DSLR. A Canon EoS T3 a.k.a. 1100D. You can purchase this now for $429.00 here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...=9SIA1CZ0D38980

It has less focus points (freakin' 7 of them tho!!) and less megapixels, but still blows any other non DSLR out of the water!! Also, most of the power of a great shot is in the composition of the shot and the lens used. Luckily, the lens that comes with the camera (15-55 mm) is quite decent for a starter lens.

I'll add more on to this after another bong rip and a break to reflect. Also, any questions that may be asked.

Remember, this is the exact same shot, just post edited in Lightroom to bring out what was already there. :aok:

*Take note, I've learned myself since writing this up, but the general point is still here in this thread*

Last edited Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:13 am | Scroll up

RE: Taking a picture in HPS lighting and editing

in things you need to know Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:18 am
by 4u2sm0ke • Marijuana is good | 2.333 Posts | 10572 Points

Thanks a lot for sharing this..I have just got one these Canons and an extra Lens...Im learing the tricks now and may ask you a few....how about the macro pics...do you use the Auto feature or the "P" feature?...youtube says best to use The "P"...

In the past when I took pics under HPS I would force flash and hold camera same hight as HPS lights..that was with a "point and shoot" camera

take care and be safe

Scroll up

in things you need to know Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:28 am

Never use flash, if you do, make sure to bounce the light with a swivel head external flash, and bounce it straight up. OR, you can use a difuser.

I use Manual mode, and set most my settings manually. Sometimes, there's a neat "Creative Mode" that works decent for taking general pics to post-process. Settings vary, but most of the worth is done outside of the camera and in Lightroom. As long as the original image is taken with everything steady and focus'd, you can do anything to it properly.

As for macro, it's all in the lens my friend. I'm using my kit lens (comes with camera.. it's 15-55mm) and it takes them pretty close, but my best bet would be to buy a Macro lens. (Santa??!?!?!) :)

Once you have at least a starter DSLR camera (digital that shoots in RAW format) you are on your way to excellent pics. It's more so in the lens too, never forget that. It's mostly in the lens and photogs composition.

Glad to have helped. I'll help you anytime 4u, just hit me up! I owe you anyways.

Scroll up

in things you need to know Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:52 pm
by Weedhopper | 1.210 Posts | 4031 Points

Nice looking Plants. Good Job.

OH and the Photo Thingy,,thats cool too.

Scroll up

in things you need to know Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:11 am
by umbra | 780 Posts | 4085 Points

while I do have photoshop and lightroom, I rarely use them. They are not very intuitive and are fairly difficult to use. Using the correct filter is much easier. You can tell I used to be at MP, I still use picasso and actually prefer it for ease of use, quickness, and quick tutorial.

Scroll up

in things you need to know Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:56 am

I'm going to be teaching 4u and Shortbus some basics on Skype sometime soon. You're more then welcome to join.

And YES a filter is surely one of the best FIRST steps to do!

Scroll up

in things you need to know Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:38 am
by umbra | 780 Posts | 4085 Points

sounds good

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 3 Guests are online.

guest counter
Today were 94 (yesterday 473) guests online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 1231 topics and 21953 posts.

0 members have been online today: