not enough veg area

in Beginners Starting out Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:54 am
by Monoxide | 649 Posts | 2595 Points

I wanted to setup a perpetual grow. every 3 weeks. I am thinking that I will need more veg area. Here is my situation.

My new cabinet that i built is 4' wide 22" deep. My flower tent is 4x4. I want to be able to fit 6 plants in at a time. 2 plants every 21 days. the 2 plants will be in a 16" by 48" scrog net. This way I can fit the 6 plants in there at a time in 2's.

Since I have to have the scrog net in the veg area until the screen is full, that means I will need 16"x48" of room just for 2 plants in the veg area, until ready to move to the flower tent. Which also means I will need 3 different veg cabinets just for the 6 plants, not counting the clones and the babies growing up getting ready to go to the scrog net.

your thoughts?

Last edited Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:56 am | Scroll up

RE: not enough veg area

in Beginners Starting out Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:58 am
by 4u2sm0ke • Marijuana is good | 2.333 Posts | 10572 Points

I think your over thinking this a bit...

if you place 3 plants in under the scrog net...How will you Harvest the first round without messing with the net?,,I do perpetual..but no scrog

take care and be safe
Scroll up

in Beginners Starting out Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:01 am

I will only have 2 plants in under the net. 3 individual nets with 2 plants.

Scroll up

in Beginners Starting out Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:07 am

will look like this in the tent once full

Scroll up

in Beginners Starting out Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:00 pm
by 4u2sm0ke • Marijuana is good | 2.333 Posts | 10572 Points

I see...Ya know let me flag down TheHempGodess...I think she made a DWC scrog ...useing totes....maybe go that rout so as to pull 2 every 21 days???

take care and be safe

Last edited Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:01 pm | Scroll up

in Beginners Starting out Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:10 pm
by brimck325 | 55 Posts | 237 Points

i'm thinkin your gonna need to change your flowering style if you don't have access to more veg area.

Scroll up

in Beginners Starting out Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:11 pm
by pcduck (deleted)

I run/ran perpetual with a 4x4 flower tent and a 2x4 veg tent. In the veg tent, I start from the left and move right with 3 different heights. does get a bit cramped at times but not for long. I do not SROG. Not enough room in flower tent to maneuver the plants in and out.

Obtinuit vermis?
Scroll up

in Beginners Starting out Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:01 pm
by MR1 | 703 Posts | 2417 Points

Quote: Monoxide wrote in post #4
will look like this in the tent once fullBild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Monoxide, is there a picture here? If there is I cannot see it.

Scroll up

in Beginners Starting out Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:06 pm
by ozzydiodude • The Weird One | 2.474 Posts | 11542 Points

@MR1 what browser are you using? there is a pic in Monoxide's post

Let's help each other, by spreading our knowledge of the plants we love
Scroll up

in Beginners Starting out Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:20 pm
by MR1 | 703 Posts | 2417 Points

Quote: ozzydiodude wrote in post #9
@MR1 what browser are you using? there is a pic in Monoxide's post

I believe i am using Internet explorer.

Last edited Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:21 pm | Scroll up

in Beginners Starting out Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:56 pm

I like the concept of a scrog. If I can't do it without having lots more room, I guess I can't do it. Do you usually get more yield from a scrog grow then a normal grow? It looks to me like you do, because you have more colas

Scroll up

in Beginners Starting out Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:58 pm
by Hushpuppy | 77 Posts | 323 Points

Hey Mono; You don't use the scrog nets in the veg space. You veg your plants up to a certain size, probably about 10-12" for 6 plants going into 4x4 tents. Then you move them into the flowering tents and set the scrog net over them, allow them to veg for another 1-2wks while you tuck the branches under the nets to spread the plants and create more bud sites. Then when the scrog net is 75% full of leave growth, you flip to 12/12.

Doctor Madbud

Scroll up

in Beginners Starting out Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:01 pm

It will take you nearly a year to get the timing set up correctly to run 3 tents in continual harvest cycles 3 weeks apart. It is not difficult to do but it take a lot of planning and constant work

Doctor Madbud

Scroll up

in Beginners Starting out Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:25 pm

In a small space like a 4x4, doing scrog will definitely give you more yield but it has to be done properly. First you have to get the right amount of plants going in the veg room. If you have 3 flower tents and 1 veg space, I would use one of the flower spaces to get set up and going so that you can create the overlap necessary to get the timing down. But you also need to have well known strains that are 9week flower strains to run the 3 cycles or else they will ball up on you.
What you have to do is get 10-12 plants going in veg first. Then when they are ready to go, you take 10-12 cuttings and put in cloner, then set the first set in the flower space and cover with the screen(and keep the lights on 24hrs for another week or 2 before switching to 12/12). keep the others in veg and cut them back significantly. This will slow them down so that they will hold for another 3 weeks. They should "bush up" considerably in that 3 weeks. At the end of that first 3 weeks, remove the rooted cuttings from cloner and set in medium in permanent pots. Then take cuttings from the mature plants and set in cloner, and put the mature plants in their flowering tent and cover with screen. Leave lights on 24hr for 1-2wks to allow them to fill the screen like the first set. Then flip to 12/12.

After setting the second set of plants into the flower space, You will have one set of cuttings in the cloner and another set of clones in medium, in veg space. In another 3 weeks, the cuttings will be rooted and will need to go into pots of medium, and the clones will be mature enough to set into the third flower tent (after taking cuttings from them and putting into the cloner). In 3 weeks, you will do the same operation, but before you can set the next set of mature clones into the next flowering tent, you will have to harvest the #1 tent and prep that tent for the next set. From this point on you will be working your arse off to maintain this 3week rotation and harvesting a tent every 3 weeks. :-)

Doctor Madbud

Scroll up

in Beginners Starting out Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:02 pm

i dont have 3 different flower tents. I have 1 4x4 flower tent. I have a 22" deep x 4' wide x 5' high veg cabinet. what I planned on doing is once these are big enough for me to take clones from, I will take 4 clones from my Kali-47, 3 weeks later take 4 clones from my super skunk, 3 weeks later back to kall-47, 3 weeks later back to super skunk until I have the 1st ones I put in ready to take clones from to keep the rotation going. Does that sound right?

with all that said, I wont have room to scrog in veg and If I cant put on once there in the flower tent on 12/12 I guess I cant scrog. I just wont have the space.

Scroll up

in Beginners Starting out Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:49 pm

No no no, there is no way you can run plants 3 weeks apart like that in one tent unless it is a very large tent like 4x8. your one 4x4 tent isn't going to be able to flower 6 plants, 2 of each being 3wks apart. It just isn't big enough to allow the space you need to get the level of light to each of them, unless you do micro grows where you don't allow them to get more than 15-25" max.

I'm not sure I understand you with putting the scrog on them in veg. You don't want to cover the plants with screen and then have to move them from veg to flower tents. You veg them in one space until they are big enough to go to the flower tent, then you set them in flower and allow them to veg longer so that they will spread out and fill up the screen before flipping them to flower. This is a very good way to maximize yield in a small space.

Doctor Madbud

Scroll up

in Beginners Starting out Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:01 pm
by pcduck (deleted)

Zitat
one 4x4 tent isn't going to be able to flower 6 plants, 2 of each being 3wks apart. It just isn't big enough to allow the space you need to get the level of light to each of them, unless you do micro grows where you don't allow them to get more than 15-25" max

I use a 4x4 with 6 plants in perpetual growing, with no micro...no problems...my biggest problem is in the veg tent with the space restrictions

Obtinuit vermis?
Scroll up

in Beginners Starting out Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:04 pm

If I were you and I wanted to run 2 strains, I would grow 3 of each strain and veg them until they are big enough to go to flower, then only put 4 of them in the flower tent, 2 of each strain. Then put the screen over them and veg them a little longer so that they fill the screens well. Then Keep the other 2 plants(one of each strain) in veg until your flowering plants are 3 weeks in flower, then take cuttings and set in cloner, and cut back the vegging donors to keep them as small as possible. Once the flowering plants are harvested, the cuttings will have already rooted and had several weeks to get to good size to go into flower.

Or you can go the opposite direction and keep them all smaller and run 5-6 small plants and flip them(sexually matured) when the plants are only 12" tall and untopped. The key is that you would have to keep 2-3 plants of each strain and take cuttings from them only about 5 weeks before the flowering plants come out. This would allow them enough time to get rooted and grow enough to just be ready to go into flower after the others come out, without getting too big.

Doctor Madbud

Scroll up

in Beginners Starting out Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:13 pm

The easiest way to do a continual grow and get the most from it would be to have either one large tent (4x6- 4x8) so that there is room to have several plants that are at different stages, or have 2 4x4 tents and a smaller cloning space to feed each one at 5 weeks apart.

Doctor Madbud

Scroll up

in Beginners Starting out Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:14 pm

How do you do yours PC?

Doctor Madbud

Scroll up

in Beginners Starting out Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:21 am
by pcduck (deleted)

2 new plants every 3 to 4 weeks.

No fim or topping, just lollypopped.

1200 watts of hps in 4x4

Obtinuit vermis?
Scroll up

in Beginners Starting out Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:14 am

[xquote|username="cduck"|userlink="u4_pcduck.html"|usercolor="#a80da8"|link="t189f18-not-enough-veg-area.html#msg1903"|title="#17"|time=""]

Zitat
one 4x4 tent isn't going to be able to flower 6 plants, 2 of each being 3wks apart. It just isn't big enough to allow the space you need to get the level of light to each of them, unless you do micro grows where you don't allow them to get more than 15-25" max[/xquote]

I use a 4x4 with 6 plants in perpetual growing, with no micro...no problems...my biggest problem is in the veg tent with the space restrictions

how big is your veg area?

Scroll up

in Beginners Starting out Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:20 am

How much more yield do you get from a scrog then not? The only other thing I can think of to actually be able to scrog is, just grow 6 plants same age take clones before they go in the flower tent to be rootting etc. have them growing while the 6 are flowering and just do one big harvest every 60ish days. someone pointed this out awhile back.

Scroll up

in Beginners Starting out Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:26 am
by ozzydiodude • The Weird One | 2.474 Posts | 11542 Points

Quote: Monoxide wrote in post #23
How much more yield do you get from a scrog then not? The only other thing I can think of to actually be able to scrog is, just grow 6 plants same age take clones before they go in the flower tent to be rootting etc. have them growing while the 6 are flowering and just do one big harvest every 60ish days. someone pointed this out awhile back.

IMO this is the best way to learn the plants then you can work on moving into the perpetual growing.

Let's help each other, by spreading our knowledge of the plants we love
Scroll up

in Beginners Starting out Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:41 am
by The Hemp Goddess | 281 Posts | 1083 Points

Hey Mono. I would have chimed in earlier, but was out of town for Christmas.

This is my 2 cents. If you are going to want to scrog, you are not going to be able to do a perpetual like you want. With a scrog, once they go under the screen and get any size you are not going to be able to move them. When I did the scrog, I did it because I was remodeling my flowering room (ran the veg and flowering in the vegging closet) and you cannot move them easily once they get any growth.

There is really not magic, it is just timing...and you will never get it down perfectly, but you can get pretty good. You are simply going to have to start new plants every 3 weeks. I suppose the getting started may be the hardest. Every 3 weeks you harvest your 2 plants, you will move 2 from veg to flowering and start 2 more. My cloner is quite small and doesn't take up much space so it stays in the veg space. I would take clones from clones.

I personally do not necessarily believe that doing a 6 plant scrog and taking clones will prepare you any more for a perpetual grow. I also do not necessarily believe that scrog gives you more yield if you have a space with headroom. A lot of people scrog because they lack sufficient headroom. That is why I did it. If you want to do perpetual (I will always grow that way as I cannot trim 6-8 plants all at once) I say just jump in and do it.

Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History--Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Last edited Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:44 am | Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 48 Guests are online.

guest counter
Today were 1315 (yesterday 814) guests online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 1231 topics and 21953 posts.

0 members have been online today: