Question for you all.

in Soils and Soil-less Growing Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:40 pm
by Ston-loc | 376 Posts | 1601 Points

So my mix from previous years has been accumulating year to year. I have been using peat moss, worm castings, dolomite lime, and perlite. After that I've been using GH3 throughout the grow. After each grow the root ball is removed, and the mix has just been spread out next to the garden. I only use it one season then have started fresh the next season. Not that it has rained much here, but it has been out in the yard.

So this year I'm looking into mixing up a soil and going organic. Question being, is there any way to utilize the previously used and GH3'd mix in the coming grow? What's your guys thoughts, cause the mix is piling up. Also the thought of digging 3'x2' holes per plant and finding somewhere to put that dirt also might be an issue..

Scroll up

RE: Question for you all.

in Soils and Soil-less Growing Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:57 pm
by ozzydiodude • The Weird One | 2.474 Posts | 11542 Points

First I'll aim you at the 3 lb's Why you should reuse your soil, or Soil heresy by the 3LB's.

Now I'll my 2 cents if your growing outdoor mixing with the native soil has proven to work best I think it's due the soil mixes we use being light weight compared to the native soils which in my area is mostly clay base soils. when making the big holes to grow in we make it big and deep but leave no soil weight to anchor the plants in during the grow.

If your planning to bring the soil inside bake it first bring the temp up to 200F to 250F this kills the bugs and their eggs.

in either case you will see you need less nutes because there are more than you think still left in the old soil mix

Sending GreenMojo Your way
Scroll up

in Soils and Soil-less Growing Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:13 pm
by Ston-loc | 376 Posts | 1601 Points

This would be for my outdoor grow again. So would the residual nutes that are still in the soil be harmful to microbes trying to go the organic route? Like once I water would whats left in that mix kill off beneficials that I want around?

Thanks for the link

Scroll up

in Soils and Soil-less Growing Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:56 pm
by ozzydiodude • The Weird One | 2.474 Posts | 11542 Points

those nutes are broken down by now to a more basic compounds and imo are usable by the microherd. Now I think the main reason the synthetic nutes are harmful to the microherd is because the synthetic are in the form the mcroherds excrement(sh it} is. They take the organic compounds in the soil and break it down to a more plant usable form the form the synthetic are supposed to be in for plant uptake

Sending GreenMojo Your way
Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 9 Guests are online.

guest counter
Today were 85 (yesterday 460) guests online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 1231 topics and 21953 posts.

0 members have been online today: