From hydro to soil

in Grow Journals Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:18 pm
by smokingranpa | 28 Posts | 108 Points

Starting my 2nd grow, I have 2 white widow X Big Bud, both have sprouted although one was a little burned from being too close to the heat. Seems to be coming back, new leaves look good.
Last grow was AK7 auto in hydro, was okay but I may have harvested a little early, nice cerebral buzz.
This grow I am trying soil. Due to a lack of resources I am using black gold (not rated very high ) and mixing it 50/50 with vermiculite.
I am growing in 3gal buckets with GH Flora series. Light is 400watt MH for veg and 400w HPS for flowering.
For water I fill a 5gal bucket and run an air stone for a couple of days then adjust the PH add nuets and follow the directions.
Anyone see any obvious problems? I know I will possibly find a few along the way.
And away we go SG

Scroll up

RE: From hydro to soil

in Grow Journals Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:35 pm
by Weedhopper | 1.210 Posts | 4031 Points
Scroll up

in Grow Journals Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:48 pm
by orangesunshine | 803 Posts | 3182 Points

nice---sounds like u are well on ur way---only thing i would do right now is amend the soil---very inexpensive source of amendments are available from a feed store---all sorts of organic goodies to pump up the nutes in ur soil

Scroll up

in Grow Journals Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:51 pm

Thanks OG are we talking like bat guano and such???

Scroll up

in Grow Journals Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:01 pm

absolutely---read the black gold bag to see if it is a stronger mix for veg or flower---alfalfa meal, soy meal, green sand, kelp meal, bat and or sea bird guano, bone meal, all have different nutrient values---focus on the stage of ur plant when amending---straight bag soil for the seedling/clone----heavy nitrogen for vegging--- transitioning into higher value phosphorus for flower development and finally higher values of potassium for flowers maturing and ripening

Scroll up

in Grow Journals Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:08 pm

there are a number of soil mixes listed on the site here---as u look thru them u will decide what works best for u---cool thing about soil is it is a living medium to grow in all the organisms have a symbiotic relationship

Scroll up

in Grow Journals Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:27 pm

WoW thanks , I wil start my reserch.

Scroll up

in Grow Journals Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:48 pm
by MR1 | 703 Posts | 2417 Points

Good luck Granpa.

Scroll up

in Grow Journals Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:07 pm
by ozzydiodude • The Weird One | 2.474 Posts | 11542 Points

Quote: smokingranpa wrote in post #4
Thanks OG are we talking like bat guano and such???

Soil Mixes
Here's a good place to start looking at soil mixes

Let's help each other, by spreading our knowledge of the plants we love

Cannabis grown with care grows into medicine somewhere!
Scroll up

in Grow Journals Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:11 pm
by pcduck (deleted)

That sure is a lot of vermiculite.
Your soil may hold to much water with that much vermiculite.

I use perlite

Obtinuit vermis?

Site Rules
Scroll up

in Grow Journals Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:15 pm
by 4u2sm0ke • Marijuana is good | 2.333 Posts | 10572 Points

yeah I agreee Duck..That Vermiculite is 4 Moister control...us soil growers like the soil to dry out fairly fast..well I know I do

THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Scroll up

in Grow Journals Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:13 pm
by The Hemp Goddess | 281 Posts | 1083 Points

I agree on the vermiculite--it holds too much water for cannabis. Why are you limited to Black Gold soil? Can you get perlite?

Also when you mix nutes you should mix the nutes first and then pH. The nutes will affect the pH of the water, so if you pH first, your pH will be off after you add nutes.

Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History--Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Scroll up

in Grow Journals Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:14 pm
by surfinc | 1.748 Posts | 6388 Points

as a hydro grower can i ask why you are going to soil?

<></p>
Scroll up

in Grow Journals Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:30 pm
by WeatherMan | 77 Posts | 146 Points

Quote: smokingranpa wrote in post #1

Last grow was AK7 auto in hydro, was okay but I may have harvested a little early, nice cerebral buzz.

Whats shaking grandpa? good to see you growing in soil,....you will never look back! Contrary to what 'some' may say, growing in soil, and growing 100 percent organically WILL produce cannabis unlike you have ever tasted or enjoyed before.

Please take some of the best advice that was ever given to me as a newbie grower,....this was passed to me by someone from marijuannapassion.com back in like 2008.
QUOTE: " let your plant go a full 10 weeks in flower, until you have a good amount of AMBER TRICHOMES" . . . . . .

let me tell you, waiting a full 10 weeks produces a MUCH larger yield, and allows you to really eperience the STRENGTH that good cannabis has to offer. My strain was white widow and after a ten week flowering, it would literally knock you out after a couple of meaty tokes.

Even if you are into more of a 'heady' type of high, I would still allow your strain to go until it is RIPE, and this is more often than not going to be closer to that 10 week time frame than what breeders sometimes advertise.

~,~

Thomas Jefferson retirement papers:
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

Last edited Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:07 pm | Scroll up

in Grow Journals Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:11 pm
by Cubby | 1.267 Posts | 4795 Points

Quote: WeatherMan wrote in post #14
Quote: smokingranpa wrote in post #1

Whats shaking grandpa? good to see you growing in soil,....you will never look back! Contrary to what 'some' may say, growing in soil, and growing 100 percent organically WILL produce cannabis unlike you have ever tasted or enjoyed before.

Please take some of the best advice that was ever given to me as a newbie grower,....this was passed to me by someone from marijuannapassion.com back in like 2008.
QUOTE: " let your plant go a full 10 weeks in flower, until you have a good amount of AMBER TRICHOMES" . . . . . .

let me tell you, waiting a full 10 weeks produces a MUCH larger yield, and allows you to really eperience the STRENGTH that good cannabis has to offer. My strain was white widow and after a ten week flowering, it would literally knock you out after a couple of meaty tokes.

Even if you are into more of a 'heady' type of high, I would still allow your strain to go until it is RIPE, and this is more often than not going to be closer to that 10 week time frame than what breeders sometimes advertise.

~,~

This is totally wrong.

I've grown outside, organic, since 85. The difference between organic and hydro is negligible at best.

And this 10 week thing is hog wash. You don't go by time in flower, you go by the stage of trike development.

This isn't based on what "some" might say, it's based on experience.

MarP Class of 2007

BHC #6 7/8
Scroll up

in Grow Journals Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:13 pm

and when people are asking for help, they usually are lacking the 'experience' , so a 'basic' guide line helps some from pulling their crops too early.

peace ~

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

Last edited Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:14 pm | Scroll up

in Grow Journals Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:23 pm

But what good is it, if it's basically wrong?

MarP Class of 2007

BHC #6 7/8
Scroll up

in Grow Journals Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:29 pm

It's not "basically wrong", but thank you for your very warm and thoughtful sentiment.

And what's up with your avatar, . . . . . . are you angry or something? lol

take a pull on this cubby

Scroll up

in Grow Journals Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:36 am

Good Morning M/C went to bed early and missed all these posts.
I am using black gold because it was all I could find locally? As for vermiculite, things I read seem to indicate that it was similar to perlite? That’s why these sites are so important; keep us newbie’s on track.
I like hydro but I was doing DWC and if doing more than 1 plant it gets pretty cumbersome changing out water every week. I am planning on looking into building a reservoir system. I have seen some posts on build plans and will be researching them as soon as these ladies get into full swing.
So good to hear all the advice, I will cut the mix of vermic. To soil down to ¼ and yes I should mix the neuts then check the PH. Its amazing how many little things you have to keep track of but as you grow I suppose they become 2nd nature and then you can finesse the fine points.
I do appreciate all the input and I will digest it all and see how the garden grows.
If any one knows where I can find plans for a reservoir hydro system would be appreciated.
Thanks again SG

Scroll up

in Grow Journals Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:33 am

Quick note, hadn't opened the vermic so I am returning it for a bag of perlite. Thanks for that info, i just looked on line and see what a big difference there is between the two.
Another lesson LOL.

Scroll up

in Grow Journals Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:46 am

You can find alot of DIY hydro systems on YouTube. Take a look there, I'm sure you'll find something that will work in your situation.

MarP Class of 2007

BHC #6 7/8

Last edited Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:46 am | Scroll up

in Grow Journals Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:26 am

DIY is the way to go. I have built all my systems. Ill be watchen. green mojo

Scroll up

in Grow Journals Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:32 am
by MR1 | 703 Posts | 2417 Points

This system you can build yourself if you are a diy'er.

Scroll up

in Grow Journals Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:34 am

Good pics Bro.

Scroll up

in Grow Journals Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:37 am
by The Hemp Goddess | 281 Posts | 1083 Points

Good call on exchanging the vermiculite for perlite. However, I also think that you need to be looking at adding other amendments to the soil as well. IMO, lime should be used with all soil grows. Are you in the US? Do you have any home improvement stores like HD or Lowe's around? Both of these should have better soil choices than Black Gold. And they carry soil amendments like bone meal, blood meal, lime, etc. If you are in any kind of rural area (and I figure you might be if your shopping options are that limited), you can generally find compost, aged manure, worm castings, and other wonderful natural stuff to add to your base soil. Remember that the soil is what provides all the nutrients to the plants in an organic grow--start with the best that you are able, even if it involves some sacrifices.

After growing both organic and hydro, I have to say that I do not agree with the Weatherman. The taste, smell, and high from hydro can be ever bit as good as organic. I doubt that there is 1 person in a thousand that could detect any taste difference after a proper cure. Also, every plant should be taken when it is ready. There is no one best flowering time--every strains has its own window. For instance an Indica that normally goes 7 weeks would be ruined if flowered for 10 weeks. In a similar vein, a long flowering sativa wouldn't be ready. This is one reason that I like to use known genetics--you know what to expect. Examining the trichs with a microscope is, IMO, the only way to tell if a plant is ready for harvest.

Like cubby mentioned, there are a lot of diys on places like You Tube if you are wanting to do a recirculating DWC.

Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History--Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Last edited Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:38 am | Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 8 Guests are online.

guest counter
Today were 531 (yesterday 415) guests online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 1231 topics and 21953 posts.

0 members have been online today: