Game Changer

in Marijuana in the News Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:46 pm
by NorCalHal | 14 Posts | 75 Points

WASHINGTON — President Barack Obama said he doesn't think marijuana is more dangerous than alcohol, "in terms of its impact on the individual consumer."

"As has been well documented, I smoked pot as a kid, and I view it as a bad habit and a vice, not very different from the cigarettes that I smoked as a young person up through a big chunk of my adult life. I don't think it is more dangerous than alcohol," the president said an interview with "The New Yorker" magazine.

Smoking marijuana is "not something I encourage, and I've told my daughters I think it's a bad idea, a waste of time, not very healthy," Obama said.

Obama's administration has given states permission to experiment with marijuana regulation, and laws recently passed in Colorado and Washington legalizing marijuana recently went into effect. The president said it was important for the legalization of marijuana to go forward in those states to avoid a situation in which only a few are punished while a large portion of people have broken the law at one time or another.

The president said he is troubled at the disproportionate number of arrests and imprisonments of minorities for marijuana use. "Middle-class kids don't get locked up for smoking pot, and poor kids do," he said. "And African-American kids and Latino kids are more likely to be poor and less likely to have the resources and the support to avoid unduly harsh penalties."

He said in the interview that users shouldn't be locked up for long stretches of time when people writing drug laws "have probably done the same thing."

But Obama urged a cautious approach to changing marijuana laws, saying that people who think legalizing pot will solve social problems are "robably overstating the case."

"And the experiment that's going to be taking place in Colorado and Washington is going to be, I think, a challenge," the president said.

Ethan Nadelmann, the executive director of the Drug Policy Alliance praised Obama's words, saying his use of the word "important" about the new Colorado and Washington laws "really puts the wind in the sails of the movement to end marijuana prohibition.

Critics of the new laws raise concerns about public health and law enforcement, asking whether wide availability of the drug will lead to more underage drug use, more cases of driving while high and more crime.

Scroll up

RE: Game Changer

in Marijuana in the News Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:22 pm
by surfinc | 1.748 Posts | 6388 Points

have you heard about the swabs..on the gum line to see if you have recently puffed?...i have a couple friends out that way in Co. they are quite popular i hear...

<></p>
Scroll up

in Marijuana in the News Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:36 pm
by Weedhopper | 1.210 Posts | 4031 Points

They use those swabs in Texas on PPL on probation.

Scroll up

in Marijuana in the News Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:39 am
by Rosebud | 499 Posts | 2113 Points

They use them here for jobs drug testing.Pretty darn accurate I hear.

Scroll up

in Marijuana in the News Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:35 pm
by umbra | 780 Posts | 4085 Points

there are ways around them

Scroll up

in Marijuana in the News Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:45 pm
by Weedhopper | 1.210 Posts | 4031 Points

They are very very acurate.

Scroll up

in Marijuana in the News Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:02 pm
by mikeydean | 63 Posts | 285 Points

Brother-in-law gets around the swab thing with a really strong gum like Denten ICE. Has worked 3 or 4 times still has his job any way lol

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 12 Guests are online.

guest counter
Today were 397 (yesterday 460) guests online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 1231 topics and 21953 posts.

0 members have been online today: