education

in Just saying Hi Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:09 am
by mikeydean | 63 Posts | 285 Points

I have a nephew that just got out of high school and he wants to move to Colorado and pursue and job in the MJ field,.
Is there any collages that offer classes on growing or anything related to the field of growing the stuff that has and will help many folks over and through the years?
Any thoughts???
Oh by the way, He don't know I grow!!

Scroll up

RE: education

in Just saying Hi Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:12 am
by ross | 51 Posts | 190 Points

None that I know of. Don't think there's a oaksterdam university type thing. I've always said you can read as much as you want but really 90% of your learning comes from experience. You have to actually grow to be knowledgeable about growing IMO.

Scroll up

in Just saying Hi Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:14 am
by ozzydiodude • The Weird One | 2.474 Posts | 11542 Points

IMO he'd be a fool to try and basic a life career choice on MJ growing. Go to school and get a Degree in Biz or Horticulture something that will support him til the mj world settle

Let's help each other, by spreading our knowledge of the plants we love
Scroll up

in Just saying Hi Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:26 am

the horticulture thing is what he wants, but you know how teenagers are..Lets go head first then see what we missed..

Scroll up

in Just saying Hi Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:43 am
by 4u2sm0ke • Marijuana is good | 2.333 Posts | 10572 Points

Have him start reading these boards....There is no School classes on growing MJ itself....a basic gardner can get going...it takes time and effort to grow High Quallity Meds..and if ya want on the Band wagon here in WA..ya need be 18 min..to any part of the Bizz....and why dont you help him learn?....is he a Risk to you?

take care and be safe
Scroll up

in Just saying Hi Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:51 am

Risk.. no way, just Tell No One!

I am not much of a teacher, not enough patience, some time I don't explain myself where someone else can understand, " just look at some of my post" lol

Scroll up

in Just saying Hi Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:21 am
by Weedhopper | 1.210 Posts | 4031 Points

He must think theres no work involed,,just getting high and playing with plants. Sounds like most Teenagers to me.

Scroll up

in Just saying Hi Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:24 am

He know the work evolved. Its not really about getting high either, its just what he wants to do. The Med part really

Scroll up

in Just saying Hi Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:10 pm
by The Hemp Goddess | 281 Posts | 1083 Points

He and about a million other teenagers want a career in the mj industry. Before he gets himself in a lather, he (and his parents) need to check out CO and the lack of jobs there. The area is inundated with people (a lot of them with education and experience) who want to be employed in the mj industry, but are jobless.

I hate to say this, but I believe this is a pipe dream and really unrealistic. Can he and/or his parents afford to have him go to school in CO? How would he plan on living? Has he done any REAL investigation to find out what job opportunities are open? When you say he is only interested in the med aspects, has he shown interest in medicine prior to the legalization of mj or is this a new thing? If he is really only interested in the med aspects (I am suspect of this), he needs some classes along that line. It's a bad time of year to be homeless in CO......

I think that it is great for kids to have dreams and aspirations, but if they are unrealistic, someone really needs to make them take off the rose colored glasses and look at the world realistically. The supply of workers in the field far outweighs the job market. I believe that I would have a hard time getting a job in the industry.......

Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History--Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Scroll up

in Just saying Hi Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:17 pm
by Kaotik | 64 Posts | 260 Points

man this really honestly depresses me.
i already think negative of college for the most part, and our flawed value of it (college itself does nothing IMO. society's false value of college is where any betterment comes in.)

.. so asking to pay to learn to grow, when the knowledge is readily freely available.. is so disheartening to me i hope this doesn't become the norm.
especially in this new industry where it's refreshing to see that actual experience still trumps a piece of paper (for now).

knowledge is free.
if he wants to start working with MMJ, i suggest he start looking at just a job in MMJ for now. on-site apprentice teaches much more than in-class curriculum.
likely gonna be a tough spot though, everyone wants in on the green rush. (actually.. thinking about it; maybe opening a MMJ school/college is a good career )

Last edited Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:18 pm | Scroll up

in Just saying Hi Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:47 pm
by Weedhopper | 1.210 Posts | 4031 Points

Like I said,,,he is a Teenager and he is ready to ,,,after he learns Medecine of course.

Last edited Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:51 pm | Scroll up

in Just saying Hi Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:03 pm
by orangesunshine | 803 Posts | 3182 Points

oaksterdam is the only formal school i have ever heard of that specializes on growing the herb---my guess is this web site has way more info than what he could ever learn there---like many things the book knowledge will only get you soo far---curriculum seems to be in line with any tech type school u find advertised on the back of a book of matches---i totally agree with ozzy and the kid should be in a college that specializes in agriculture---if that isn't in the cards than get a job at a farm somewheres---basic agricultural knowledge will open many doors---a master gardener---horticulturist/arborist avenue is the direction i would be steering him cause it will be adaptable to growing all plants

Scroll up

in Just saying Hi Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:39 pm
by surfinc | 1.748 Posts | 6388 Points

Quote: orangesunshine wrote in post #12
oaksterdam is the only formal school i have ever heard of that specializes on growing the herb---my guess is this web site has way more info than what he could ever learn there---like many things the book knowledge will only get you soo far---curriculum seems to be in line with any tech type school u find advertised on the back of a book of matches---i totally agree with ozzy and the kid should be in a college that specializes in agriculture---if that isn't in the cards than get a job at a farm somewheres---basic agricultural knowledge will open many doors---a master gardener---horticulturist/arborist avenue is the direction i would be steering him cause it will be adaptable to growing all plants

I would imagine shortly that a botany degree will be needed to be a foreperson in such factories. Hard to rely on experience alone.College and a job are the best way into this work. That and some plants growing.
The whole world is what have you done for me lately whats to say MMJ wont be the same..

<></p>
Scroll up

in Just saying Hi Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:25 pm
by Cubby | 1.267 Posts | 4795 Points

Realistically, If he's half way intelligent he's gonna' get an education. Whether he goes to school or tries his hand at commercial growing, he's gonna' learn.
And in both cases it will be lessons he never imagined.
I say, good luck to him, go for it.
I'm not a kid anymore (51), but I'm glad I was young, reckless, and daring (incredibly dumb) enough to strike out on my own.
If he succedes you get to say "That's my kid", and if he fails you get to say "We'll figure it out, you're my kid".

MarP Class of 2007

BHC #6 7/8

\"Life Is Hard; It\'s Harder If You\'re \".............John Wayne.

Last edited Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:26 pm | Scroll up

in Just saying Hi Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:27 am
by The Hemp Goddess | 281 Posts | 1083 Points

Times are a lot different now than when you and I were teen-agers Cubby. Being homeless in a city like Denver in the middle of the winter is a very very real possibility if he just sets out for CO hoping to somehow land a job in an industry that is already overcrowded. Especially as a recent high school grad--honestly what does he even have to offer?

I have scoped out the jobs in and around Denver.....and guess what.....even for someone who has grown for decades with no formal education, there is nothing. So, don't let him go into this blind. The opportunities that he believes are out there right now aren't. And if he is interested in the medical aspect of it, he is simply going to need some classes in that direction. If he is more interested in the growing side, he will need classes in botany. Whether we like it or not, these are the facts. If his parents are in a position to support him while he takes general classes on medicine or botany? How long does he think that he needs to go to school to prepare for a career in this field? Your nephew and his parents should do some hard research on the job opportunities (or lack of them). But on top of this, does a degree from someplace like Oaksterdam really mean anything?

Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History--Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Scroll up

in Just saying Hi Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:13 am
by NorCalHal | 14 Posts | 75 Points

The only degree in my mind that would help land a career in "the field" is a business degree. Oaksterdam only teaches VERY basics of growing and touch's on the business side, that's about it.
The only opportunity is opening a State licensed growing or retail facility, and the list is LONG. Not to mention the vast amount of Money that is needed to even think about setting either one up. There will be lots of "budtender" type jobs that will pay minimum and equate to a job at Mc Donalds. The real, and only, opportunity is to be an owner of a production or retail outlet.
Remember, it is STILL a felony Federally. There is ALLWAYS a chance at going to prison until MJ is rescheduled.
As far as a growing "job", it will be next to impossible to just enter "the scene".
As we all know, it ain't easy growing one lb of superior herb that will be a step above the next guy. Some of you might think that it ain't that hard, until you try to produce 100's of lb's of that same chronic. The bigger you go, the harder it gets. The opportunity to make a living off of a few lights is slowly fading away. The knowledge needed to fire up 100 light shows is hard to come by, and is something learned over time, not through any skool or forum board.
Doing what I do, I find myself more and more like a manager then a grower. I have 10 folks working for me at most anytime. If any of you own a business, you will know employees are the hardest aspect of running ANY business. Man, I could go on and on.

So, as I write this, the only real chance at a career is on the Biz side. there are actually lots of choices here. From management to a Lab tech. A great choice would be Law School and becoming a Lawyer that is dedicated to MJ type business. Getting in on the emerging "lab" scene is another opportunity.

Scroll up

in Just saying Hi Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:15 am
by umbra | 780 Posts | 4085 Points

I am in this same boat. 1 of my sons is interested in the same things. I can tell you that there is some kind of a program at UC in Humbolt that can be used for this type of education. Its in horticulture. My son has already started a double major in agronimy and business adminstration. It doesn't help that my son knows my work, my genetics stockpile, and that it is still an open field. So I have tried to take a more practical approach and I am trying to help him see just how hard the work can be. If I move, I will be having him more involved in things.

Scroll up

in Just saying Hi Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:38 pm
by mr rogers | 28 Posts | 50 Points

better to get a masters in botony and marry a girl with a lot of money. he'll need it for the application fees.

I live for the applause plause.
Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 3 Guests are online.

guest counter
Today were 294 (yesterday 314) guests online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 1231 topics and 21953 posts.

0 members have been online today: