Collecting Pollen The Easy Way

in Breeding Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:23 pm
by ozzydiodude • The Weird One | 2.474 Posts | 11542 Points

Posted by trillions of atoms

This is the most cut throat easy way to collect pollen with out contaminating a whole crop....making sure to seperate male plants totally and wash clothes and body before re-entering the grow site after removing males and collecting said pollen.

I seperate the males after choosing quality parentage....wait till the bannanas start to spit open before they drop pollen.

Then i cut the tip off thats has the most mature banannas and either stick it in a plastic bac like a small ziplock (leaving it open for the stem to dry and not catch condensation from the drying stem) or similar container that will fit the branch nicely.

The next few days the stem will dry up (humidity determins how fast they dry)and the banannas will open dropping pollen in the bag.

and your done!!

- You can use rice to absorb the excess water to help keep the sperm viable or silica gel packets That you get out of medicine containers. rice works for me (uncooked of course)

Either like that or one other way thats a little more complicated:

Cut the branches off that are fixing to open,

Fold a piece of paper in half length ways then open it back up....

Lay the stalk with bannanas directly on the paper and wait a few days with no fan around- 

The stem will dry dropping pollen onto paper directly,

Then pick the stems up tapping gently to remove any remaining pollen off the bannanas on said branch 

Then fold the piece of paper back in half with a little opening on one end and tap the pollen off the paper while tilting the paper on one end into a plastic bag or film canister with rice in it (the rice acts as a decantir absorbing any remaing moisture as water kills pollen) and thats it for collecting the pollen.

Dip small paint brush into bags and then dust the lower branches (b-c buds) of the plants you want to keep genetics from.

In 2-3 weeks the seeds will be mature....they will either fall out of the pods or you can see the catylaxes starting to split. after that time expires simply take an object and peel one side of a catylax where yo see a seed maturing back.

If the seed is a light/darker tan colored with darker coloered stripes and zigzags you know they are fully mature.

As long as no seeds you pull out are white, yellow, pale or hallow then your doing good!

Let seeds dry (age) for at least a week or two before planting, to be on the safe side.

Simple as that!

this is an old thread I have pics for....im slowly working on moving my guides from around the net....

We are all trillions of atoms

4u2sm0ke posted

Humidity and moister are pollens enemy...IMO...a Glass of water tilted 45* would work better....This is also for a small collection....Im still believe in order to get GREAT Pollen is wait a week after he starts to drop...as the first sacks to open are less viable....Why not move the Selected MAle to another location where he can get the attention ...I suppose for pollen chuckers this would be okay....BAd practice for a breeding program...just my thughts

take care and be safe

ToA Posted

This is for new pollen collectors that cant keep a male seperate, dont have room or cant just set plants outside and let them mature.

This is a very simple way for soneone who notices a male and wants to make a few seeds to remove the male and collect the pollen and get rid ofthe male for fear of contamination.

you can keep picking apart everything from here on out 4u.... we welcome it.

everyone feel free ti put there opinions and views out on any threads!!

This was also originally written over ten years ago lol

4u2 posts Just speaking my mind.....Thats how I roll

Brotha posted

I found two different methods that work great!
First, if you have a second location to separate,that's perfect! Then as was suggested above, I wait a week or so until my male is in full pollen mode. Then a take a small pane of glass, (a mirror will work) 4x5" or so. I start at the top of the plant, position the glass about 3-5 "down, then gently shake the plant, stem by stem. Do this till you reach the bottom.
Carefully standup(so the motion does not blow off your pollen), take a straight edge razor blade, scape it into a pile, scrape into a small plastic container, with a little uncooked rice, put a lid on it immediately, stick in the fridge. When ever you want to use it, up it out, take a little paint brush, dust a few lower branches, with buds, paint em up, done!

Second way, when you cannt move your plant. I found clear 32, and 55 gal containers, with lids, all clear.
Drill some air holes in the lid, then in the bottom foot or so of the container. Airfilter material can be to the out side to capture any rebel pollen. Let you male do his thing in the same area as your females, inside the container.
Once he flowers well, you have already capture the pollen in the container. It your choise what to do with it. This was just to explain, how to keep it in the same area. Peace, happy growing!

4u2 posted

okay...Where does one Get "clear" 55 gallon?...I use white plastic 55 barrels for water collecting..and have a hard time reaching the bottom...Do you climb in to collect the pollen?

take care and be safe

Let's help each other, by spreading our knowledge of the plants we love
Scroll up

RE: Collecting Pollen The Easy Way

in Breeding Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:01 pm
by Vegs | 17 Posts | 92 Points

I'm lazy. I move the choice male away from the females, let a few bananas to begin to pop open. I carefully touch the bottom of a banana to get pollen on my fingertip. I'll then rub my fingers on lower flowering nodes on a few kolas. This way I'll still get seeds but those will come from some of the lower branches versus the larger tops.

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 10 Guests are online.

guest counter
Today were 537 (yesterday 415) guests online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 1231 topics and 21953 posts.

0 members have been online today: