gnats

in Plant probems Wed May 13, 2015 11:12 am
by orangesunshine | 803 Posts | 3182 Points

these sumbeaches have been a PIA since amending a heavy dose of soy meal into the soil pile---most say not to worry they don't harm your plant---that's B.S.---they feed on decaying organic matter and will kill clones---they are competing for the same food source as your myco colony---difference is they don't give anything back to benefit your plant

adult eradication treatments---fly strips will catch the adults as will the hanging "hot shot"---they also like to plunge into a mix of apple cider vinegar or beer and drown

larva eradication---since they nest in the top 1/2" of the soil---many peeps will apply approx 1/2" of clean sandbox sand---this makes it less than habitable for the adult females to lay their eggs because the sand drys out quickly and they prefer a moist environment to do their thang

cut to the chase---this is what i am doing to rid my room of these fuggers---vacume up the top 1/2" of soil from all pots---spray maybe even water in the top of the soil with a mix of h20 and h202 to kill any remaining larva---also spray this solution onto whatever the medium is for your clones (rockwool here)---hang fly paper and hot shots to catch any adults---vacume the room to pick up any juvenile stragglers running around not yet flying that jumped out of the nest---you can also catch them mid-air in the vacume as they are pretty slow---you can find them around the lights and buzzing your head cause they are attracted to co2 we exhale---repeat another vacume session and the h202 mix if you see the fly paper and hot shots increasing the numbers they are catching

if you water instead of spray the h202 mixture into the soil---its prolly a good idea to re-inoculate the myco colony as there seems to be a bit of discrepancy as to the h202 possibly not just killing good mycos but beneficials as well---better safe than sorry---the more the merrier

wish me luck---if i didn't kill the shit out of my entire crop---the gnats should be gone in due time and plants thriving soon enough

Scroll up

RE: gnats

in Plant probems Wed May 13, 2015 1:09 pm
by Timbrrline | 485 Posts | 1782 Points

Mojo to Go....

Scroll up

in Plant probems Tue May 19, 2015 1:42 am

well i douched the soil with h202---gonna hang a new fly strip to catch some adults---douche it again in another couple days---keep an eye on the fly strip to monitor a decrease in #'s flying----laid out some potato skins to see if i could catch any larvae---nothing yet---a squadron of gnats certainly ain't gonna get the best of the plants on my watch

gnats---5
me---3

Last edited Tue May 19, 2015 1:44 am | Scroll up

in Plant probems Tue May 19, 2015 6:04 pm
by Timbrrline | 485 Posts | 1782 Points

A mojo refill....

Scroll up

in Plant probems Wed May 20, 2015 10:15 am

douched the soil with h202 again---changed out the fly paper---sprayed a bit of flying insect killer on the outside of the buckets and tray

7th inning stretch

gnats---5

orange--5

Scroll up

in Plant probems Wed May 20, 2015 7:22 pm
by umbra | 780 Posts | 4085 Points

beneficial nematodes

Scroll up

in Plant probems Wed May 20, 2015 7:52 pm

Quote: umbra wrote in post #6
beneficial nematodes

thanx umbra---u know which ones in particular---i will likely use them in the flower room if need be---my issue right now appears to be confined to the veg room---plants are only little and got another maybe 10 weeks in veg---loads of recover time after im done playing around by killing everything in sight---strictly business in the flower room

Scroll up

in Plant probems Thu May 21, 2015 5:10 pm

Steinernema Feltiae. try buglogical.com

Scroll up

in Plant probems Thu May 21, 2015 6:43 pm
by TCVG | 48 Posts | 251 Points

doesn't that dia-whatever earth sprinkled on top work on this problem?

the shit that cuts 'em up....

That Crazy Vancouver Guy

my SHIT don't stink... it fucking REEKS....

Last edited Thu May 21, 2015 6:45 pm | Scroll up

in Plant probems Thu May 21, 2015 7:15 pm

diatomaceous earth...pool supplies

Scroll up

in Plant probems Fri May 29, 2015 12:50 am

looks like i finally got the best of these sumbeaches---submerged the rootballs in a bucket of water to change out the soil at transplant with fresh bagged soil---this strip been hanging for about 5 days

Attached pictures:
IMG_0589.JPG
Scroll up