Jolly Ranchers

in Cannabis Cooking Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:40 pm
by Ston-loc | 376 Posts | 1601 Points

This is the second time I've done these. First time sour apple flavored, today I did cherry. Really easy to make. I put two grams of BHO into the batch and got 80 candies. One will get you nice, I've had a couple and am already flying

Attached pictures:
image.jpg
Scroll up

RE: Jolly Ranchers

in Cannabis Cooking Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:47 pm

Whoops, forgot the link. The initial recipe is what I went by. I only did half a batch though.

hXXps://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=225956

Scroll up

in Cannabis Cooking Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:32 am
by ozzydiodude • The Weird One | 2.474 Posts | 11542 Points

BHO Hard Candy Recipe
This is a recipe for jolly rancher type hard candies. In my opinion, you must use BHO for this recipe. Alcohol or glycerin based tinctures tested with this recipe would not allow the candy to set up properly. Bubble hash will give it a grainy sand paper like texture. BHO melts and incorporates into the candy perfectly.

This recipe makes three full trays. (a little bit less than 200 pieces, ~20mg of BHO per piece) In my experience, one piece is enough for pain management and a light buzz, and two pieces will give me a warm and comfortable stone. It's worth noting that I am one of those people that can smoke or vape all day, but I am particularly sensitive to ingesting cannabis, so your results may vary. When ingesting, let the candy fully dissolve in your mouth. Do not chew on it or swallow it. Allowing it to dissolve will let you absorb most of the THC sublingually, which means it will hit you faster. Most people feel some effects in 15 minutes, with the full effects coming on in 60 to 90 minutes. I would recommend everybody start with only one piece and wait at least an hour before ingesting more. It can sneak up on you! I also recommend sticking with the amount of BHO recommended in the recipe. Using more can make the candy unpalatable. Also, the more you use, the harder it is to incorporate into the mix. If you want a stronger result, just eat more candy.

Ingredients:
2 cups of white table sugar
2/3 cup of light corn syrup
3/4 cup water
2tsp-4tsp LorAnn flavoring oil (Amazon or craft store)
LorAnn food coloring (optional) (Amazon or craft store)
4 grams of BHO

1/4 cup of powdered sugar for dusting finished candies

Tools:
2qt saucepan
Candy Thermometer
Silicone Spatula
Whisk
Three LorAnn candy mold trays (I recommend the rectangular ones. They break apart easier.)
Parchment Paper

Mix table sugar (not the powdered sugar), syrup and water together and bring to a boil over medium heat on the stove. Gently stir the mixture while on the stove until the sugar is fully dissolved. Once dissolved, DO NOT STIR anymore. Stirring once the temperature crosses a certain point will cause the syrup to become grainy, and your candies will be gummy and grainy instead of hard like jolly ranchers. If this happens, don't freak out. The candy is still edible, it's just not ideal.
When the mixture reaches 260 degrees, add the desired amount of food coloring. DO NOT STIR. The boiling action will incorporate the color.
Remove from the stove top when mixture reaches 300 degrees, or "Hard Crack" stage.
Wait until boiling action calms down a little, add the flavoring and BHO, and stir gently with whisk until evenly distributed. Be careful, adding the BHO and flavor will result in bubbling and a quick release of steam. Do not drop the BHO into the syrup, or it may splash back up at you. What I do is stick the chunk of BHO onto the whisk, and then incorporate it into the syrup that way.
Quickly pour syrup into molds. Pour any leftover syrup onto parchment paper. (Trust me, you don't want to leave it in the pan)
Allow syrup to set up for an hour or so (can be sped up by putting trays into freezer) and then break up the pieces. Put all of the pieces into a gallon sized ziploc bag with 1/4 cup of powdered sugar and shake until coated evenly. This will prevent them from sticking together.

And that's it! Now you've got 100-200 doses of high quality medicine. These candies will keep for several months in a sealed bag in the refrigerator without losing potency.

Some Tips:
BE CAREFUL!!!! I can't stress this enough. We're working with a sticky 300 degree liquid that can give you a third degree burn on contact. Do not do this when you're baked if you're prone to accidents. Always be mindful of how hot the candy syrup is.
Put your pans and utensils immediately under hot water after you've poured the molds to remove the syrup before it sets. Don't wait to clean this stuff up, otherwise it will become nearly impossible to remove.
Do not use anything but plain white table sugar. Raw, brown, turbinado or other types of sugar do not make good candy syrup and they increase the likelihood of the syrup becoming grainy.
Watch out for boil overs! They can happen at any time if the mixture is boiled too vigorously. Only boil over medium heat. Your pots and pans can be cleaned with hot water, but it's VERY hard to clean candy syrup off of your stove top. If a boil over starts to happen, turn the heat down a little bit and use the spatula to knock down the foam until it subsides.
Lightly grease the molds with butter or Pam. You don't want them too greasy though. Wipe them down before pouring.
The cannabis flavor of most BHO is fairly strong, so you will need to use more flavor oil to cover it up than you might think. This recipe typically calls for only one teaspoon of flavor oil if you're making the non-BHO version. However I have found that at least two is necessary. Sometimes three. It depends on the flavor. My personal favorite is three teaspoons of Licorice. It gives it a strong herbal flavor which I find appropriate for a medicinal preparation. Anything too candy-like would make me want to eat more than I should and get into trouble.
This candy can be used to sweeten tea & coffee as well. It's best to make an "unflavored" batch for this purpose, and to crush the pieces of candy before adding them to your beverage.
And of course: ALWAY ALWAYS ALWAYS be responsible with this candy and keep it out of the reach of children.

Let's help each other, by spreading our knowledge of the plants we love

Cannabis grown with care grows into medicine somewhere!
Scroll up

in Cannabis Cooking Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:34 pm
by YYZ Skinhead | 12 Posts | 66 Points

Oh boy...I gotta try these with sour cherry, blue raspberry, watermelon etc...sour candy is one of my more innocuous addictions.

Canadian men are mad sexy.

Glow in the dark marijuana jewellery and art
Scroll up

in Cannabis Cooking Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:48 pm

Fresh batches yesterday. Green are my first CBD ones I've made. Green apple made with 2.1 grams of Cannatonic bho. Red cherry made with 2.6 grams of nurse larry bho.

Scroll up

in Cannabis Cooking Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:51 pm

The nurse Larry ones are amazing! Just ate my first Cannatonic one with a level head. Waiting for it to kick in

Scroll up

in Cannabis Cooking Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:51 pm

Hour and a half in, feel warm, fuzzy, body high. But level clear head. Interesting... The Nurse Larry one's high lasts for hours and hours, and seems to intensify around 2-3 hours in. Waiting this out to get a clear review.

Scroll up

in Cannabis Cooking Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:07 pm

Dropped off samples to be tested for potency yesterday. Should have the results in a few days. Might be testing the waters and trying to package them up and take them in to some dispensaries :D

Scroll up

in Cannabis Cooking Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:53 pm
by surfinc | 1.748 Posts | 6388 Points

Nice work

<p></p>
Scroll up

in Cannabis Cooking Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:14 pm

Hmm... Have never decarbed, pre bho extraction. Now I guess I might seeing the thca levels. Made with nurse larry trim

Scroll up

in Cannabis Cooking Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:16 pm

And the Cannatonic ones

Scroll up

in Cannabis Cooking Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:54 pm

Researching... They are def sleep aids!

Like all cannabinoids that exist in the living cannabis plant, THCa is non-psychoactive, though it still stimulates the appetite like THC. It also is a powerful anti-inflammatory, helps fight cancer and other tumors, aids with sleep, and more.

Maybe theyre good as is getting better sleep with them how they are now. Maybe do a batch with decarb and compare the effects

Scroll up

in Cannabis Cooking Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:00 am

Getting working on the packaging, gotta design a label. Got the material, just need to print the stickers. Today made a single batch of nurse larry thc ones and ate one and some scraps 5 hours ago and I'm still flying also made a double batch of the high CBD ones. Loving these!

Last edited Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:00 am | Scroll up

in Cannabis Cooking Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:27 am

Any pieces gonna make the trading post?
I'm game ...what's a good swap?

<p></p>
Scroll up

in Cannabis Cooking Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:12 am
by ozzydiodude • The Weird One | 2.474 Posts | 11542 Points

@surfinc sinsi no one said anything I dropped the trading post idea but I can rethink it if yall want

@Ston-loc Those are just to nice being a hard candy addict I would probably eat them all in a day or 2

Sending GreenMojo Your way
Scroll up

in Cannabis Cooking Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:22 am

@ozzydiodude yes let's do trading post eh?....
Keep peep so they can at least ask ?

<p></p>
Scroll up

in Cannabis Cooking Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:47 pm

Ozzy, most I've eaten in a day was like 5 and was hella baked!

One or two is plenty. If you ate them all you'd be so toasted hahaha

Scroll up

in Cannabis Cooking Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:17 pm

So I did a more step by step thread over at MP, Ozzy asked if I could paste it over here.. Cheers guys and gals

Have had a good response on these and decided to do a couple more batches today. Going to do my first CBD batch with Cannatonic from last harvest. Second gonna do another batch of Nurse Larry also. I'll add as I go. Starting the Cannatonic batch with an all bud run. Don't have any trim left to use. The nurse larry I use all trim and popcorn buds.

So the hard part is done. Out of time for now. Will add when I get back on it.

Scroll up

in Cannabis Cooking Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:19 pm

Ok, first I did the Cannatonic batch. Start by puting a cup of sugar, 1/3 cup of light corn syrup, and 3/8 cup of water on the cooktop. Stir until the sugar is melted, then no more stirring

Once it reaches 265degrees you add food coloring. And let the rolling boil mix it up. No stirring.

Once it hits 300 (hard crack), take it off the heat. I add two of the little candy flavors for the batch. And 2.1 grams of Cannatonic bho gently whisk in evenly, then pour into the candy molds. This point is where it's go time! 300 degree hot sticky goo does not feel good. It also hardens quickly and is a b**** to get off stuff also. Sour apple isn't my favorite flavor for them, but I wanted a distinct difference of color to the nurse larry batch. Can't do a diff color to flavor. OCD won't allow it

Scroll up

in Cannabis Cooking Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:21 pm

Next threw those trays in the freezer to harden up quicker, and repeat steps again for the nurse Larry batch.

Follow the same steps with 2.6grams of nurse larry bho and cherry flavoring. Then out come the apple Cannatonic ones. Pour some powdered sugar into a large ziplock and shake the candy in it. They don't look as cool but the will stick to each other if you don't do this

Boom, done... One of these is plenty to put you on your arse for the better part of the day. Sleep through the night like a rock. Excited to try the Cannatonic ones on a clear head and feel the CBD effect through edibles. It's really easy once you do a batch. Thanks for peeping my Sunday fun

Scroll up

in Cannabis Cooking Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:23 pm
by orangesunshine | 803 Posts | 3182 Points

i be looking for a bit of edumacation on thc content ilistings---i've been a test dummy on many an edible including ice pops, cakes, rice crispy treats, breads, brownies, steaks, etc---all put me down for the count and drooling---none of which were CA compliant listing THC or CBD ratios---i have also had Terra expresso beans of which are compliant and list THC content as 120 MG---takes about 4 of these to feel even the slightest bit of a buzz---so if the jolley ranchers are listed at 15.05 and cannatonic at 5.98---what am i missing on the measurements??? these expresso beans have a "use by date" of 11-06-15 so they should be kicking my ass at 120 MG---what the heck is going on???

Scroll up

in Cannabis Cooking Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:41 pm

Hmmm,, you know looking at the labs site I was seeing samples that said super high thc mgs, then active mgs/g. Gummy bears said 92mg, 1mg/g. Muffin was 250mg, 5mg/g. Not sure but it confused me. But these def work. One usually hits most people nice. Some have needed two.
How big was the bag of beans listed at 120mg? How many in it? My tests are the % for 1 of the candy
@orangesunshine

Last edited Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:42 pm | Scroll up

in Cannabis Cooking Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:46 pm

@orangesunshine just pulled it up and those terra beans are 5mg each, 120 in the pack

Scroll up

in Cannabis Cooking Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:13 pm
by orangesunshine | 803 Posts | 3182 Points

yep---that's what it says on the tin---120 mg minimum per container---thanks ston

Scroll up

in Cannabis Cooking Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:44 pm

@Rosebud any opinion you could share?

Last edited Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:47 pm | Scroll up