T5 ballast repair

in DIY Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:56 am
by MR1 | 703 Posts | 2417 Points
Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

This is a simple how to on replacing the capacitors on your ballast if they are similar to the ballast in my fixture. I am no expert, just a diy guy that likes to same some money if I can. I fixed my PC power supply this way so I figured I would try it here. Remember, safety first, make sure you disconnect everything you are working on. New parts cost with shipping, $45. Cost of parts to repair myself, $1 ( I bought 5 caps for $5 and used one ). I still have to buy an external fuse holder which might be a couple more bucks but I might make my own?

This is the fixture, 6 bulb, 3 ballasts.
Ballast removed, don't forget to mark where you connectors go.
The two black things, bottom left are the capacitors.
You can see the cap on the right is deformed, so that is the one I changed. You may not see any deformation, there was none on mine either untill I did a sumwhat controlled test which resulted in what you see here. If you cannot see damage just replace both. The little fuse just underneath the cap is also blown ( look for a fuse somewhere, your board may be arranged differently ). I will either solder a new fuse of the same value or I will use an external fuse you can twist apart if you need to replace the fuse.
Safety step: Use something with insulated handles and short out the capacitors which will release any charge left in them. Capacitors store energy so you always want to be carefull when working around them.
Bag of capacitors. I bought mine on ebay. Make sure you get the same ones that are in your ballast. I just typed in capacitor then the values marked on it. You should get some choices. You can choose to use high quality or cheap but since I was not sure if this would work so I bought cheap ones. I may replace with better.
Capacitor removed. To remove capacitor get your soldering gun out. Find the solder joint for the cap you want to remove and one capacitor lead at a time heat the joint ( no not that one ) while pulling lightly on the cap till it pulls out, Then do the other cap lead.
Here it is with a new capacitor. You can see my temporary fuse I used to test. It is removed now, I have to get downtown to look for fuse stuff but that is more or less it.
Working again. This was a cheap fixture , it cost me about $130. The better ones might use different ballast setup but if you have one of these it might help. Capacitors are usually the first thing to go in electronics so maybe you can use this info elsewhere also just be carefull working with electricity.

Scroll up

RE: T5 ballast repair

in DIY Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:41 pm
by 4u2sm0ke • Marijuana is good | 2.333 Posts | 10572 Points

Thanks for sharing with us..can you link us to where we can buy the replacement parts?...And are those Ballast like HD?...is there still a charge in them?...I know I was modifing a 250MH ballast and was knocked over from the charge remaining ...lol...

take care and be safe
Scroll up

in DIY Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:54 pm

4U, I just used ebay, I will try to find the link where I bought my caps. No they are 54x2 watts about .49 amps so you might get a shock like a carpet shock. I touched the leads but did not get a shock. It is the bigger ones like you said that ca really shock you or even kill you. That is why you should short then out with a insulated tool if you are near them.

Scroll up

in DIY Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:01 pm

I shorted them out w...with my fingers...lol....you ever make a remote ballast from a street light?....works well..just gotta remember the charge...

take care and be safe
Scroll up

in DIY Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:02 pm
Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

http://stores.ebay.ca/anycircuit/Capacit...d=p4634.c0.m322 This is where I bought my capacitors.

Scroll up

in DIY Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:05 pm

I have been zapped many times but I still try to be carefull. Nothing like a shock from a car engine coil to wake you up in the morning.

Scroll up

in DIY Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:20 pm

yeah..or ruin ya Buzzz

take care and be safe
Scroll up

in DIY Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:52 pm

Fuse replacement. I found this laying around. I just have to match up the fuse.

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 7 Guests are online.

guest counter
Today were 94 (yesterday 406) guests online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 1231 topics and 21953 posts.

0 members have been online today: