Compost Instructions

in Organics Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:30 pm
by ozzydiodude • The Weird One | 2.474 Posts | 11542 Points

Compost Instructions
**Found on the net**How do I make compost?
The simplest and tidiest way to make compost at home is through the use of a home composter.
The optimum composting process is caused by a combination of four elements:

·Brown organic materials - such as leaves
·Green organic materials - such as grass
·Air
·Water

By mixing together green and brown materials, a mix of nitrogen and carbon is produced. Adding air from the atmosphere and moisture from the material itself is a magical mix that will start the composting process. Ultimately compost happens whatever - so don't be too concerned that you may not have the mix exactly right.

Hints and Tips

· Placing the composter in the sun will increase the temperature inside the unit, and thus accelerate the composting process.

·To ensure good circulation within the composter, it is advisable to place a layer of twigs, cut flowers or remains of house plants at the bottom of the unit.

·Layers of fruit, vegetable and garden waste can then be added, mixed if possible. Do not, however, fill the composter beyond 80% of its capacity.

·As the composting mass is relatively moist, it will condense, reducing the amount of air in it. Regular poking or stirring with a stick or garden fork will create ventilation channels in the material, helping the composting process.

What can be composted?

Most garden waste, such as: Grass cuttings, Hedge clippings, Weeds, Old plants & garden cuttings, Vegetable wastes, Branches & twigs (cut into pieces), Fallen leaves.

Most kitchen waste, such as: Vegetable & fruit remains, Tea bags & coffee grounds, Crushed egg shells, Fruit waste, Cut flowers & house plant remains, Newspaper.

What can't be composted?

Cooked & uncooked meat. Poultry and fish are not recommended. Cat & dog faeces. Things which are not biodegradable - such as plastic and metals. Garden waste which has recently been treated with weed-killer (such as grass cuttings from a recently treated lawn).

What if I have problems?
Here are some of the common problems associated with normal composting.

·Unpleasant odours
when vegetation decomposes, it is normal for it to smell a bit. If the odour becomes unpleasant, the heap may have become too compacted. To solve this, use a garden fork or stick to lift the layers of composting mass - adding air & hence reducing odours.

·Compost is very dry
If the compost appears very dry, simply turn the material with a fork or stick, adding water whilst you do so. Alternatively, leave the composter lid open when it is raining.

·Compost is wet and slimy
If this is the case it is likely that too much "green" type waste such as grass cuttings has been added. Mix some "brown" type materials such as newspaper into the composting mass.

Let's help each other, by spreading our knowledge of the plants we love

Last edited Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:31 pm | Scroll up

RE: Compost Instructions

in Organics Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:30 pm
by mr rogers | 28 Posts | 50 Points

isn't there a carbon/nitrogen ratio for best results? i have forgotten the ratio. thx.

I live for the applause plause.
Scroll up

in Organics Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:48 pm
by shortbus | 253 Posts | 1304 Points

there is an excellent guide in the book "teaming with microbes" i'll copy and paste it for you

greenmojo

Last edited Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:48 pm | Scroll up

in Organics Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:51 pm
by Weedhopper | 1.210 Posts | 4031 Points

I thought it was 1 part green and 2 parts brown.

Scroll up

in Organics Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:59 pm

Quote: Weedhopper wrote in post #4
I thought it was 1 part green and 2 parts brown.

it really depends, compost goes through different stages. each stage needs to hit a certain temperature while not getting too HOT in order for everything to break down properly. too much green will cause the temperature to go too high, and not enough green will not allow it to get hot enough to advance through the stages

greenmojo
Scroll up

in Organics Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:03 pm

Yeah,,thats just a simple direction to go from everything ive read. But im sure there are many variables you could follow. Mine is pretty much what i stated above and it works real nice.

Scroll up

in Organics Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:44 am

Quote: Weedhopper wrote in post #6
Yeah,,thats just a simple direction to go from everything ive read. But im sure there are many variables you could follow. Mine is pretty much what i stated above and it works real nice.

aint nuthing wrong with keepin it simple

http://www.youtube.com/embed/n9OhxKlrWwc

greenmojo

Last edited Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:45 am | Scroll up

in Organics Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:02 am
by Cubby | 1.267 Posts | 4795 Points

Quote: shortbus wrote in post #7
Quote: Weedhopper wrote in post #6

aint nuthing wrong with keepin it simple

http://www.youtube.com/embed/n9OhxKlrWwc

I Love this!!!
For years people have been telling me my way of composting is WRONG because I do not layer, or add kitchen scraps (except coffee grounds and egg shells).
My response to people who go on and on about "layering" has always been.................compost happens in nature, who's out in the woods doing all this layering, and how do they get all the portions correct?
I use a leaf vac just like he has. The only difference is I don't use the bag attachment. I adapted a long section of flexible ducting to the top of a 55 gallon trashcan. The leaves get raked into a pile then shredded then blown into the trash can. It makes them easy to move around the yard, whether top dressing beds or being piled for compost.
I would like to try worm beds, but it gets too cold here, and I don't want worms in my house.....maybe the garage.....with a insulated wrap?

MarP Class of 2007

BHC #6 7/8
Scroll up

in Organics Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:19 am
by mr rogers | 28 Posts | 50 Points

i was an estate gardener for a large property where i would move all leaves from 16 acres into a 50x50 ft corner and just dump them. no shredding. in spring i could get into the middle of a 5ft high pile and slice through into the base seeing the decomposition of years of leaves over time. it was quite a sight. should have taken pix. the unrecognizable material at the bottom was beautiful. dark, sweet smelling. looked like dunkin hines cake mix. i used it everywhere. i had a small pile (10x10) of horse manure compost also taken from the paddocks. i was really surprised how quickly it broke down, really in just a few months. just remembering...carry on.

I live for the applause plause.
Scroll up

in Organics Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:35 am
by BudGrower | 547 Posts | 1925 Points

my grandma ( 100+ year old ) used to dig a hole n put all the leafs fallin from trees in it then cover it with small layer of dirt and leave for summer n its compost simple is this

Scroll up

in Organics Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:15 am

Yep Cubby you are correct,,,I use pretty much nothing but Coffee Grounds,Egg Shells,Grass and Fruit,,,,,,for Green,,and Leaves,twigs,and Powder from busting up Limestone rocks,,,,,, for Brown. i dont layer,,I just mix the heck out of it all the time. I also add a little Blood meal,Bone Meal,and Molasses to my Compost while its cooking. My Veggies love the crap outta tha tea I make from my Compost.
I also have a pile of leaves i am composting.

Last edited Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:18 am | Scroll up

in Organics Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:43 pm
by The Hemp Goddess | 281 Posts | 1083 Points

Cubby, about the worm bin. I use a premade unit called Can-O-Worms. It is totally odor free if the correct environment is kept. I keep it inside all the time because of the cold in winter and the hot in summer. When friends ask me what it is and I tell them, they are amazed because "they always though things like that smelled bad".

Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History--Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Scroll up

in Organics Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:46 pm
by Rosebud | 499 Posts | 2113 Points

When i was in master gardeners everyone had them under their kitchen sink...no problems handy... Go for it Cubster..

To laugh often and love much; to win the respect of intelligent persons and the affection of children; to earn the approbation of honest citizens and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty; to find the best in others; to give of one’s self; to leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; to have played and laughed with enthusiasm and sung with exultation; to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived—this is to have succeeded.”
Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 3 Guests are online.

guest counter
Today were 62 (yesterday 222) guests online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 1231 topics and 21953 posts.

0 members have been online today: